What other games do you play?

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
jcftao

Re: What other games do you play?

Post by jcftao »

William wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:49 am

Edit: I've checked out Cairn, and my suspicions were correct - it's set in a strange forest. How does it play? :?:
Hi Bill,
It's based on Into the Odd (Chris McDowell) and Knave (Ben Milton). Cairn has just three stats, STR, DEX, and WIL. It has hit points and damage rolls, but it is a roll under stat to make saves. There are no "to hit" rolls, only damage rolls. Damage is aligned to earlier dnd rules (B/X). When I first thought about the not rolling to hit, I thought that would be weird. Actually, in play it is working really well. Damage is taken from a character's hp and then from STR stats. Once STR stat is damaged, player must make a STR save each time he loses STR. Fail = on the ground and dying unless aid.

As I get older, I am drawn more and more to rules lite games. Cairn is very easy to learn...only about four pages of rules...but it has the ability to add crunch where I need it to do so. I like to tinker with house rules and I find Cairn can allow me to do what every I need. OSR monster stats are easily converted and playing modules like Keep on the Borderlands would be fairly simple to do on the fly.

You should check it out, it is free at Drivethrurpg and also the srd and other resources are available at https://cairnrpg.com/

It doesn't have to be only forests. It's just the author's preference for his game. Currently I am working on a hex crawl, open table game using Owlbear Rodeo.

Thanks,
John

William

Post by William »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:26 pm
William wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:54 am
badams30 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:38 pm
I got the urge and got in on the Shadowdark kickstarter, so looking forward to the print rules. I bought all the OSE stuff, but really couldn't get into it. not sure why, just didn't work for me.

But I'm also all in on the new S&W complete and BFRPG 4th ed....
I also can't fully get into OSE. It's very well done but a bit "clinical". The new S&W Complete looks fab, and I will definitely be getting a copy. Unfortunately I missed the kickstarter due to having my head under a rock, but once the hardback becomes available I will definitely be getting one.

Shadowdark is something that I have zero experience with I'm afraid, but It looks very good.

Bill
CLINICAL. That's a great description, totally on point. I want to love it, but I just can't get into it (I wish I'd figured that out before I dropped a bunch of money on the basic and advanced books)
I do like the new S&W, and I've yet to start something new with it, but it is a known commodity for me, so that's a winner.
I waited until almost the end of the kickstarter to back Shadowdark, I really tried to talk myself out of a new system, but I kept seeing good feedback so I begrudgingly went in on it. I've got the PDF, but I'm more of a hardcopy guy, so I'm waiting anxiously for that to arrive.

And I'm sorry Bill, I don't think I welcomed you - but hey - WELCOME! Glad to have you here!
Hi badams30! :) Glad to be here ;)
I'm also on Dragonsfoot, but Smoldering Wizard seems like a more pleasant place to be.

Bill
Swords & Wizardry....in Blackmoor!
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

William

Post by William »

jcftao wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:08 pm
William wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:49 am

Edit: I've checked out Cairn, and my suspicions were correct - it's set in a strange forest. How does it play? :?:
Hi Bill,
It's based on Into the Odd (Chris McDowell) and Knave (Ben Milton). Cairn has just three stats, STR, DEX, and WIL. It has hit points and damage rolls, but it is a roll under stat to make saves. There are no "to hit" rolls, only damage rolls. Damage is aligned to earlier dnd rules (B/X). When I first thought about the not rolling to hit, I thought that would be weird. Actually, in play it is working really well. Damage is taken from a character's hp and then from STR stats. Once STR stat is damaged, player must make a STR save each time he loses STR. Fail = on the ground and dying unless aid.

As I get older, I am drawn more and more to rules lite games. Cairn is very easy to learn...only about four pages of rules...but it has the ability to add crunch where I need it to do so. I like to tinker with house rules and I find Cairn can allow me to do what every I need. OSR monster stats are easily converted and playing modules like Keep on the Borderlands would be fairly simple to do on the fly.

You should check it out, it is free at Drivethrurpg and also the srd and other resources are available at https://cairnrpg.com/

It doesn't have to be only forests. It's just the author's preference for his game. Currently I am working on a hex crawl, open table game using Owlbear Rodeo.

Thanks,
John
Yeah I know what you are saying about rules-lite, there is a certain attraction to it from both a DM-ing and a player's point of view, as it's "friendlier" and more encouraging to the use of imagination. It's also a bit more about what the O.S.R. is about, along with the play style which is obviously much different from 5e. I started with rules-lite Basic D&D, got into AD&D, had a break from all things D&D with Call of Cthulhu, and then came back (as already stated) with Swords & Wizardry and some AD&D dropped into it.

I'll check out Cairn. I've got a drivethrurpg.com account.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I have the same preference for simple games, and Cairn definitely fits the bill. I, too was leery of the "no to-hit rolls" mechanic, but it does work. Still, as a ref. I prefer the more standard mechanics present in old D&D, especially white box based games where you have just a d20 and d6 for most rolls. I have really enjoyed running my Labyrinth Lord OEC campaign as it bridges the gap between OD&D and B/X, simplifying the latter's player options.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

badams30 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:26 pm
I also can't fully get into OSE. It's very well done but a bit "clinical".
CLINICAL. That's a great description, totally on point. I want to love it, but I just can't get into it (I wish I'd figured that out before I dropped a bunch of money on the basic and advanced books)
Agreed, I am the same way - for the B/X experience, I'd much rather break out the original, or Labyrinth Lord. Both have more character. Totally subjective, I know, especially since LL deviates form B/X in quite a few ways. OSE has some great modules and settings, however.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I total get the want to go to rules lite. Whitebox is such a great bare bones game to get the feel of the original game. And it's really hard to beat labyrinth lord. That brings back the B/X feel.

I know that OSE is a tidying up of B/X rules, I don't know about the clinical feel for me. Many of these retro-clones really met a need, but I guess much of the original games can be found in digital and pod now.

I'm still a big fan of the b/x clones and such, but I'm going to try to stick with Cairn for awhile and see what I feel it is lacking or has enhanced my experience in gaming. (I know that @Merias is going to bring these words back to me as soon as I jump on the next new bandwagon! :lol: )

But anyway, @Bill, send me a line if you have questions about Cairn or just want to discuss your impressions.

-John

William

Post by William »

jcftao wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:12 pm
But anyway, @Bill, send me a line if you have questions about Cairn or just want to discuss your impressions.

-John
I don't know whether you have seen it or not, but there's a Kickstarter on the go for Cairn 2e. It looks really good, and there's a box set which looks gorgeous!
I've been on there to take another look at the new Swords & Wizardry Kickstarter, but it has already gained more money than what it needs so I might wait until the new produce is in the UK warehouse in order to cut down on shipping costs. It's the same with Cairn 2e - the Kickstarter has already accrued more money than what it needs in order to bring 2e to life, so I am wondering if it is really necessary to back it, or whether it would be for the best to just wait until it's in the UK (the S&W material will definitely be making its way here, as Mythmere have a warehouse set up here now).

I haven't played Cairn yet as I have been busy with my Blackmoor campaign, but I do intend to give it a go at some point soon (hopefully before the end of the year).

Bill
Last edited by William on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

William wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:24 pm
I don't know whether you have seen it or not, but there's a Kickstarter on the go for Cairn 2e.
Yes, thank you. I heard about it when if first came out and backed it. I went for the boxed set. It's going to be awesome.

Also, Mythic Bastionland funded in December, but I'm sure there will be an opportunity to pickup a copy. Cairn would go with this seemlessly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ba ... =user_menu

And if you haven't checked it out, try Risus. It is free. At only 4 pages of rules, it is a ton of fun gaming.
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/pro ... ything-rpg

William

Post by William »

jcftao wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:00 pm
Also, Mythic Bastionland funded in December, but I'm sure there will be an opportunity to pickup a copy. Cairn would go with this seemlessly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ba ... =user_menu
This looks VERY good. The problem is that it looks to have a dark, gritty, arcane feel, something that I already have a lot of at my gaming table (Greyhawk is the default setting when we play RPGs, and that's not the only thing on the list that's dark, gritty, and arcane). Cairn would probably go down better as something a bit lighter in tone to provide a contrast, along with the Blackmoor RPG setting and some of the board games that we sometimes play.
I haven't checked out Risus yet, but I will.

Bill
AD&D 1e/ OSRIC
Conan
Greyhawk (1e)
Lankhmar
Ravenloft

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The thing I like about Mythic Bastionland is all the enhancements to combat. There are a ton of variations of knights in the game. This will be a great source for me in tweaking my Cairn games.

And check Risus out and let me know what you think. It is deceptively simple but so much more than it looks at first glance.