What other games do you play?

Discuss old-school games that don't have their own sub-forum here
merias
Site Admin

What other games do you play?

Post by merias »

What other games besides S&W do you all play? I'm in a rather eclectic group that likes to switch systems as the mood strikes whoever is reff'ing. Plus I'm in lots of play-by-post games, and have played with my family on occasion. Just in the past few years, apart from S&W I've played or ran (in no particular order) Labyrinth Lord, OD&D, Holmes Basic, Delving Deeper, Risus, Pits & Perils, Star Frontiers, White Star, Cryptworld, Starships & Spacemen (2e), X-plorers, Shotguns-n-Saddles, Mutant Future, Microlite '74, AD&D 1e, AS&SH, and Basic Fantasy. I _think_ that's it.

JMiskimen

Re: What other games do you play?

Post by JMiskimen »

We play a couple a different games too - aside from SW.
AD&D 1st Edition, AS&SH, Classic Traveller, Marvel Super Heroes (TSR), Call of Cthulhu, Mutant Future/Labyrinth Lord, Boot Hill, and coming soon - Star Wars D6 by West End Games.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

My "real life" group gets together only occasionally but when we do we play AD&D 1st edition (White Plume Mountain) and D&D B/X (Keep on the Borderlands). Online I play S&W Whitebox and S&W Complete.

golan2072

Post by golan2072 »

Usually D&D 5E and Classic (and Mongoose 2E) Traveller.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

VaultKeeper

Post by VaultKeeper »

Ancient thread, but not a bad question!

Currently I am playing in a Mythras Classic Fantasy game (essentially the RuneQuest version of D&D) as well as a Mongoose Traveller 2e game. I am working on a campaign for Crypts & Things as well as Mythras.

What I play most often are OSR games, especially BFRPG or OSRIC/1e clones/AD&D since I own so much material for both.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

Oh so much 1E and OSRIC. :)
But I just finished a PbP that the DM ran Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier over on Unseen Servant That's old school and it was tons of fun!
Be well,
--Ron--
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/ 3 Updated: 3/18/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

It's been a few years, time to add to the list! Let's see.... Stars without Number, DCC, MCC, Eldritch Tales, Tiny Dungeons, Black Hack, B/X Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Stalkers of the Elder Dark, Moldvay B/X.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

rredmond wrote:Oh so much 1E and OSRIC. :)
But I just finished a PbP that the DM ran Star Trek: Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier over on Unseen Servant That's old school and it was tons of fun!
Be well,
--Ron--
Ron I perused that game in the completed forum, it looked like fun. I'd like to run Starships & Spacemen 1e sometime, which is similarly set in the ST ToS universe (with numbers filed off as it was never an officially licensed game afaik). That is one game I have in print but have never played.

rredmond

Post by rredmond »

That game was so much fun. It had a slow post rate, even for a PbP :D but it fit perfectly. And the GM was good, Starbeard, he likes out there game.
I think ST:AGitFF is just the one book (or PDF rather) and felt real OD&D to me, so I enjoyed it. While I'm a huge TOS fan, really huge, I've never really done a lot of Sci Fi RPGs. Dabbled in Star Frontiers when I was younger, played Metamorphosis Alpha at a Con once, and a buddy of mine who lives close ran a game - he took a bunch of different elements from some OSR games but I think it was a system based off of OD&D. White Star maybe?? Something like that.
Holy Schmidt He swears by his pretty floral bonnet...
Cure Light Wounds -- 3/ 3 Updated: 3/18/2024
Bind wounds for 1d3 after each combat

FaerieGodfather

Post by FaerieGodfather »

I'm currently... abusing a game of Old School Essentials-- using some weird homebrew-- to replace AD&D in my Spelljammer game; these house rules are very close to what I'm trying to do in my own special OSR-adjacent project: Gallows & Godwars, in which I try to use some various Pathfinder third-party supplements to recreate the feel of Player's Option, and Shroompunk, my own setting for same.

Other games I've run or played recently are Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying, Barbarians of Lemuria, and Dresden Files Roleplaying. Other games I try to play frequently are Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Street Fighter: the Storytelling Game... and I've had a lot of fun hacking the Fourth Edition of Shadowrun to do various other kinds of fantasy.