Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone? [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
connivingsumo

Re: Old-fashioned dungeon crawl, anyone?

Post by connivingsumo »

Steve, let's do B/X because I'd love to play 'In Search of the Unknown.'.

Brandon ~ I was thinking Dwarf, too. Maybe we could be brothers! :lol: :lol: What do you think? One of us a Fighter, the other a Thief?** :mrgreen:

**presuming I got my B/X race-class thing straight. :think:

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Rik, as much as I want to be the DM who says "Yes," dwarves, elves and halflings are classes unto themselves in B/X. As a result, only humans can be thieves.
Last edited by tumblingdice on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:34 am
Rik, as much as I want to be the DM who says "Yes," dwarves, elves and halflings are classes unto themselves in B/X. As a result,, only humans can be thieves.
Plus, expect two or three TPKs before summer!

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

mythictom wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:41 am
tumblingdice wrote:
Rik, as much as I want to be the DM who says "Yes," dwarves, elves and halflings are classes unto themselves in B/X. As a result,, only humans can be thieves.
Plus, expect two or three TPKs before summer!
Lucky for us the module includes a large list of pre-rolled characters.

Just a reminder that B/X D&D does in fact have several substantial differences between it and AD&D, or even later versions of OD&D:

1. As mentioned already, race as class, with seven class options:
(human) cleric
(human) fighter
(human) magic-user
(human) thief
dwarf (fighter)
elf (fighter/magic-user)
halfing (fighter)

Halfings and dwarves are essentially fighters with a few racial abilities that require them to gain a few more XP than fighters to advance a level. Elves are multi-classed F/MUs who need a lot of XP to advance.

2. Three alignments: lawful, neutral and chaotic, instead of nine. There's no moral axis covering good and evil. Lawful is assumed to be good, and chaotic is assumed to be evil.

3. Different hit dice. Magic-users still get d4 (lucky them), but so do thieves (not so lucky, as they get a d6 in AD&D). Clerics use d6 and fighters use d8, not the d8 and d10 they enjoy in AD&D.

4. All characters, regardless of class, start off with 3d6 x 10 GP.

5. Clerics get no spells at first level.

6. Bows fire once per round, not twice.

7. While not relevant in our upcoming adventure, blue and white dragons in B/X are neutral, not lawful evil or chaotic evil as they are, respectively, in AD&D. Fear not, however. They still find humans quite tasty.

That's all I can think of for now. Everybody clear?
Last edited by tumblingdice on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

badams30 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:57 pm
Of course I’m in. I’m itching to run a dwarf.
Scratch that itch! Just, um, not at the gaming table, please.

Dwarf it is!
jcftao wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:46 pm
This sounds like a good one!
Sometimes, I need to just hit something with a sword.
There will be ample opportunity to hit something with a sword. Funny, I was just chatting with some monsters the other day. They were saying the exact same thing.
greyarea wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:52 pm
BX is my choice.
I'm leaning that way as well.
mythictom wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:05 am
Whichever the ruleset, I'll be the Magic-User!

My pc can hold the torch...and I don't think I ever had a character use a ten foot pole!

I want a ten foot pole, dagnabit!
Holding the torch sounds fine. As a wizard, I would not volunteer to scout ahead, however.

This is the game where you can right that wrong. Buy a 10-foot pole! I wonder if they had collapsible 10-foot poles (like today's tent poles) back in medieval times, or if you'll be bumping constantly into walls and ceilings and tripping your companions as you try to round corners.
connivingsumo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:59 am
I'm in - I'll play something - maybe a Thief, but we'll see what the House Rules & Party Composition is first. :mrgreen:
If you go with the thief, you could advance in levels very quickly.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

tumblingdice wrote: If you go with the thief, you could advance in levels very quickly.
What am I, the sorting hat?

Glad to see so much interest!

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:01 am

7. While not relevant in our upcoming adventure, blue and white dragons in B/X are neutral…
Sounds like we’re meeting a white dragon on the first outing, folks.

I’m game for any class but leaning towards elf or fighting man.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Okay, so far we have:
Jcftao: someone who can swing a sword, i.e. NOT a cleric or MU
Mythictom: MU (with a torch and ten foot pole)
Badams30: dwarf
Connivingsumo: thief or dwarf (but not a dwarf thief) who's the brother of Brandon's dwarf. I can just picture a bunch of "Mom always liked you best" Smothers Brothers craziness with these two.
Greyarea: elf (F/MU) or fighter

We still need a cleric. And you don't have to be a follower of Deity McDeityface if you don't want to.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Rik, as much as I want to be the DM who says "Yes," dwarves, elves and halflings are classes unto themselves in B/X. As a result, only humans can be thieves.
No worries - I was thinking that was the case, but wasn't near my resources to double-check myself before posting.

I'll play whatever the party needs - Human Thief might be cool - but if we need Fighters (aka - badams30's brother (the older, smarter one :mrgreen: )), or a Cleric then I am willing to be fighter or cleric.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Remember I roll like absolute sh!t (even on Tom's favorite site - one of my worst rolling series... EVER!), so if character creation allows it/the dice gods are nice to me then I'll play a Thief (character concept below), BUT if the party needs a Cleric or another Fighter then I'm A-OKAY to do that as well.

Slip