PbP White Box FMAG Thunder Rift [CLOSED]

Looking for players for your hangouts, Roll20, or PbP game? Do you want to join a game? Post here!
RetroDMRay

Re: PbP White Box FMAG Thunder Rift [OPEN]

Post by RetroDMRay »

Barnabas wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:07 pm
Hi!

This may not help, but I'll post it anyway.

I'm kind of guessing because I don't have all the information in front of me. I think that there are a few problems with the campaign based on extrapolating your comments and requests on this thread and in the emails.

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong. As I said, this is a guess.

1. There may be some issues with people getting their characters finished and submitted. This is kind of annoying, but I've been there so I don't think it's a deal-breaker. My solution would be to start the game and give the stragglers the final true deadline before we are leaving without them.

2. The DM seems to have some ideas about how the map-making and group accounting will be done, and there are no "takers" on these tasks.

Yeah, I'm guilty of this. I haven't spoken up because I don't really want to do these things and I don't really know how to do them. My solution would be that the DM start these activities and keep them in a Google document, and then we pick up from the DM (I could do that after maybe 2 weeks--if I see what's being done and the expectations, I'm sure I can pick up the torch).

3. There's talk about entering all the characters into a spreadsheet in Excel. I'm not sure if this has or hasn't been accomplished. Personally, for me, I think if all the characters are in a Notepad file, it will be easy to move them to the spreadsheet. There's really not much to my character, just a chubby little middle-aged Halfling thief, so I can enter him into the spreadsheet if it's me that's bogging it down. If it's more than me, then we should all send out our characters as text-only files and anyone can enter the data.

4. This one is going to sound offensive, so I apologize. In my experience, DMs post an idea about a game with a unique twist. Unique rules, unique setting, unique uses of technology. But, in my experience, it always comes down to a bunch of people explaining how their character is going to go hunting for this many hours and what kind of stew they make when they get back. It's all great ideas leading up, but in the end we're left with role-players who have a certain expectation and certain itches to scratch, so whether you're playing Pathfinder or Hero System Fantasy rules or it's on Discord or on Microsoft Teams, it all boils down to the same stuff.
So, we all put our characters together and absorb the idea, but in the end we're just waiting until that moment we're setting up the first camp in the wilderness and who's gathering mushrooms and who's casting Find Familiar.

I'll stop there. This was meant as a light-hearted analysis of the situation and I hope it came across that way. I'm really looking forward to this game.

My final recommendation would be to send out the group thread using the characters that have been submitted, set a final deadline for joining the party, and move forward with who we have. If it feels like not enough when the first step into the wilderness is taken, we could shut it down then.

Thoughts?
Connected and responded via email, Bro! Thnx a lot 👍

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

I'm still in, just not sure exactly what we're supposed to be doing at this point. I've submitted my characters and read the basic info on Thunder Rift and come up with a couple roleplaying ideas from that. Kinda waiting for the next prompt, so to speak.

What exactly do you mean Ray, by tracking resources? Like how much food we've eaten, supplies used etc.? Is encumbrance part of that as well? I tried to stay within reason on my PCs with equipment and I did check the rules on loads, but we've never been sticklers about encumbrance in any game I've played.

In any case, I'm still in.

Ciryandor the Elf Fighter/Mage [Ken]
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Persimmon wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:41 pm
I'm still in, just not sure exactly what we're supposed to be doing at this point. I've submitted my characters and read the basic info on Thunder Rift and come up with a couple roleplaying ideas from that. Kinda waiting for the next prompt, so to speak.

What exactly do you mean Ray, by tracking resources? Like how much food we've eaten, supplies used etc.? Is encumbrance part of that as well? I tried to stay within reason on my PCs with equipment and I did check the rules on loads, but we've never been sticklers about encumbrance in any game I've played.

In any case, I'm still in.

Ciryandor the Elf Fighter/Mage [Ken]
Ken,
That's cool! I'm glad you're still in. As was suggested by Barnabas, I'll do the first couple of times or so and share, and then you'll kinda get it. I'm not sayng you didn't do your character right at all. It's just tracking stuff for the whole party for me as we go about, not the other. Hope that helps. 😁

Ray

RetroDMRay

White Box FMAG Thunder Rift PC's & Deadline

Post by RetroDMRay »

Alright guys, so one of your team kindly offered this as a suggestion and I really liked it, so here you go. Here are all the players and their characters up to date as of today (1-18 at 3:27 pm EST)

We've lost Zorram. Amicably though. 🙂

Coop (mlstmrc)
Numble Rockwell Dwarf Fighter
Cilantria Half-Elf Druid

Ken (sunshin kms1592)
Ciryander Elf F/M-U
Bristlecone Human Druid

Michael (pbemguy)
Barnabas Hoggins Halfling Thief

Ender (wmbruns)
Seraph Mardoc Human M-U
Shatterbrew Wildhammer Dwarf Fighter

Each player, please respond to this with "I'm still in" and your name, and with the name of the above character/characters you'll be playing in the game.
I'm really, really wanting everyone to join in and for us to all be involved and on board here, so I'll let this go for another week here to get every possible reply. The deadline to be in and we start the the game will be Jan 24th at 10 pm EST.
After that day and time, you'll not be included in this one. I really want you all included, and I want to thank all of you for all the participation so far with me! I look forward to getting this going and to hearing from each who wants to remain.
Finally, I'll also ask you to reply this same way in an email to me as well for my recordkeeping.

Thnx a lot,

Ray
Last edited by RetroDMRay on Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Persimmon

Post by Persimmon »

I'm still in.

Ken, playing

Ciryandor the Elf Fighter/Mage &
Bristlecone the Druid (If second PC is needed)
"Behind closed eyes, realize your sight."--Blue Oyster Cult

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Persimmon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:03 pm
I'm still in.

Ken, playing

Ciryandor the Elf Fighter/Mage &
Bristlecone the Druid (If second PC is needed)
Awesome! Can't wait!! 👊

Ray

Zorram

Post by Zorram »

At this point I'm going to have to say I'm out.
I appreciate the work you put in Ray but I just wanted to play simple game of FMAG and this is turning out to be way more than I expected.
I'm going through my own stuff right now IRL and I don't think I have the time or energy.
Thanks anyway
-Zorram

RetroDMRay

Post by RetroDMRay »

Zorram wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm
At this point I'm going to have to say I'm out.
I appreciate the work you put in Ray but I just wanted to play simple game of FMAG and this is turning out to be way more than I expected.
I'm going through my own stuff right now IRL and I don't think I have the time or energy.
Thanks anyway
-Zorram
I do understand....it's fine. I appreciate all that you did to get it going and passed around, and I liked your characters. Best of luck to you, Zorram!

Ray

lostmercy

Post by lostmercy »

I'm IN !!!

Coop

Fighter Dwarf main
Druid Half Elf secondary

I think if we run with our mains and our seconds are in the support catagory - keep camp and look out and tend to things we can't take certain places like the animals in a dungeon. Then we can play them when something happens to our main and have a solid base camp to return to.

EnderOfHope

Post by EnderOfHope »

Sorry for not responding here - though i did via email. I'm definitely in!