[White Box FMAG] Morale check table and Reaction check table

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
Alby87

[White Box FMAG] Morale check table and Reaction check table

Post by Alby87 »

Hi!

I discovered the White Box FMAG thanks to the Italian Translation, and I'm doing a quick revision of that translation. I'm trying to understand how to use the Morale Check table: in the original text, there is no explanation how to use it and what dice to roll (the table is in range 2-12, so it should be 2d6).

And are there any Charisma modifier for both the Morale and Reaction tables? Both of them in their first row indicates "2 or Less", so I think that some modifiers are in effect.

Thank you!

merias
Site Admin

Re: [White Box FMAG] Morale check table and Reaction check table

Post by merias »

Hi Alby87 , welcome!

In typical white box fashion, the rules around morale are basically "Some monsters might break morale and flee or surrender, that is up to the referee to determine if and when that happens, and hey, here is a table you can use of you want". I think a lot of us "backport" morale rules from later editions, like B/X, which would be the most similar, with its detailed rules on when to roll morale checks.

As written, charisma (CHA) does not affect morale or reaction, just NPC loyalty, but it is a common house rule to allow CHA to also modify reaction and in some cases morale rolls. I would allow CHA to modify morale in the case of a strong leader. For example, kobolds fighting alongside their king might never surrender or flee, or they might get +3 to morale checks.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

One thing I forgot to mention - you might assign a negative modifier to the roll, not based on CHA, but just your idea of a good adjustment, like if 50% of the attacking group had been killed, they might get -2 on a morale check. That is probably the most common case of when you could get less than 2 on a 2d6 roll.

Alby87

Post by Alby87 »

merias wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:03 am
Hi Alby87 , welcome!
Thanks a lot! :D
merias wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:03 am
As written, charisma (CHA) does not affect morale or reaction, just NPC loyalty, but it is a common house rule to allow CHA to also modify reaction and in some cases morale rolls. I would allow CHA to modify morale in the case of a strong leader. For example, kobolds fighting alongside their king might never surrender or flee, or they might get +3 to morale checks.
merias wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:09 am
One thing I forgot to mention - you might assign a negative modifier to the roll, not based on CHA, but just your idea of a good adjustment, like if 50% of the attacking group had been killed, they might get -2 on a morale check. That is probably the most common case of when you could get less than 2 on a 2d6 roll.
That's good! I will try to propose a change in the Italian Version to integrate this clarification that are really nice. Thank you ;)