The Success of Basic Fantasy and S&W

General gaming dicsussion
The Wanderer

Re: The Success of Basic Fantasy and S&W

Post by The Wanderer »

Mach Front wrote:Re: "confusion" -
No, I didn't mean to come off as being negative.

I have to wonder if it may be less so if the license (and it maybe, I honestly do not know) allowed for the title of a fan-made S&W-based game to boldly proclaim so on it's cover. That is to say if White Box could be allowed to say "Powered by Swords & Wizardry" or "A Swords & Wizardry game" or some such. Maybe. Maybe? *shrug*
I didn't think you were being negative, just honest. Which is not a bad thing. Having multiple perspectives on the game is a good thing.

I don't have the license to look at right now, but you can put something like "compatible with Swords & Wizardry" on the cover. I believe it also says to contact Matt if you want to put something else on the cover.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Mach Front wrote:I think all White Box needs (though, honestly it doesn't really need it) is more blogosphere and G+ coverage.
Yeah, the numbers I listed earlier for WB:FMAG were with no big blog pushes or G+ coverage, outside of what I generated myself. And really, I think I will do one more G+ advertising post when the hardcovers are released and then that will be it.

Mach Front wrote:To be brutally honest, if not the new official edition of WB, I wonder if White Box may be better off with an entirely new/different name/branding. :?: :?
While I was working on the book, I made a list of names for the game. I ultimately decided to try just White Box because I wasn't thinking it would be a "new" game, I just wanted to build the White Box community. I added the Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game as the subtitle to make it a little different and as a homage to the original game.

That doesn't mean a new name wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not sure. But it would mean I would have to go back through and update all the files for PDF and print books and make a new blog (I'm not opposed to doing that)... and then maybe there would be even more confusion?.. I'm open to feedback on this idea

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

The Wanderer wrote:While I was working on the book, I made a list of names for the game. I ultimately decided to try just White Box because I wasn't thinking it would be a "new" game, I just wanted to build the White Box community. I added the Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game as the subtitle to make it a little different and as a homage to the original game.

That doesn't mean a new name wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not sure. But it would mean I would have to go back through and update all the files for PDF and print books and make a new blog (I'm not opposed to doing that)... and then maybe there would be even more confusion?.. I'm open to feedback on this idea
Makes sense.

And, yeah, perhaps it's not that wise to mess with the name now.
If someone thinks it is, I'd like to hear the argument.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

No activity on the name front. I'll just keep the name the same for now.

I think next up will be a Referee Screen. Probably 3 panel landscape format. 3 pages with important tables and 3 pages of screen art.

Then I'll work on updating the quick start/beginner White Box booklet. Both will be free in PDF. the Beginner Booklet will have POD at cost.

After that, the setting book "into the unknown" as seen on the blog or adventures. Details to be determined but probably free pdf and low cost print.

Hopefully those things will help build the White Box community.

I'd still like to hear more ideas that people have and see if I can help out in any way.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I finished the Referee Screen. I'll send out a link soon for you folks to review it before I post the PDF at Lulu.

And if anyone wants to pitch in or help with the quick start in any way that would be cool.
Otherwise I'll go through and edit/update it to WB:FMAG and post it here for you all to review or make changes. Does that sound like a good way to do it as a community?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

The Wanderer wrote:I finished the Referee Screen. I'll send out a link soon for you folks to review it before I post the PDF at Lulu.

And if anyone wants to pitch in or help with the quick start in any way that would be cool.
Otherwise I'll go through and edit/update it to WB:FMAG and post it here for you all to review or make changes. Does that sound like a good way to do it as a community?
Sounds great! I'd like to lend a hand, what can I do to help?

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I posted the link to the Referee Screen in the Workshop: http://snw.smolderingwizard.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Wouter wrote: Sounds great! I'd like to lend a hand, what can I do to help?
Whatever you would like to do. You can grab a section and edit or update it. If you like proof reading it, then you can wait until sections are ready and then proof it. Or maybe just go through the quick start and see if anything jumps out at you that would be good to add to a beginner rules book.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I think the quickstart can be shortened a few pages with the pregens, including equipment or without, in the latter case letting players choose an equipment pack. One of the things I like about the old quickstart was the adventure sidebars for the ref, giving tips on how to play through some of the rooms and encounters. The FAQ near the end is also nicely done. Maybe we can start a workshop thread on it, posting in-progress work as we go? I'll help with the content and proofing.

geordie racer

Post by geordie racer »

merias wrote:I think the quickstart can be shortened a few pages with the pregens, including equipment or without, in the latter case letting players choose an equipment pack. One of the things I like about the old quickstart was the adventure sidebars for the ref, giving tips on how to play through some of the rooms and encounters. The FAQ near the end is also nicely done. Maybe we can start a workshop thread on it, posting in-progress work as we go? I'll help with the content and proofing.
Totally agree, and a workshop thread is a good idea, we need a project !