The Smoldering Gazette - Submission Thread *Cancelled*

General gaming dicsussion
merias
Site Admin

Re: The Smoldering Gazette - Submission Thread

Post by merias »

FYI, I stickied this thread to make it more prominent.

Bravesteel, do you have a standard stat block format you want to use for monsters or NPCs? I've used something like this in the past:

Spider: AC: 6 [13] HD: 2+2 HP: 9 DMG: 1d6 bite SAV: 18 HDE/XP: 5/240
Special: Poison bite, save vs poison or 1 hour of weakness, unable to fight.

Also, I generally write in plain text and would use a markup language for adding styles/layout if I had to, do you care what format you get submissions in? I know you will be doing your own layout, so perhaps plain text is ideal so you can just copy/paste it into whatever you are using?

Bravesteel

Post by Bravesteel »

merias wrote:FYI, I stickied this thread to make it more prominent.

Bravesteel, do you have a standard stat block format you want to use for monsters or NPCs? I've used something like this in the past:

Spider: AC: 6 [13] HD: 2+2 HP: 9 DMG: 1d6 bite SAV: 18 HDE/XP: 5/240
Special: Poison bite, save vs poison or 1 hour of weakness, unable to fight.

Also, I generally write in plain text and would use a markup language for adding styles/layout if I had to, do you care what format you get submissions in? I know you will be doing your own layout, so perhaps plain text is ideal so you can just copy/paste it into whatever you are using?
Sweet! Thanks for the sticky! :)

I will need to see what type of format will work best when I lay everything out. You can do it like the above for now, and if I come up with a better way, I'll update the OP with that information. Yes to the plain text, as well, definitely makes it easier for me on the back end.

Edit: What does "HDE" stand for? I understand that it is CL, but what does the acronym mean?
"Est Sularis oth Mithas. My honor is my life."

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Bravesteel wrote:Edit: What does "HDE" stand for? I understand that it is CL, but what does the acronym mean?
Hit Dice Equivalent - so in this case the 2+2 HD spider gives XP like a 5 HD creature due to its poison (and I would probably make that a HDE of 3, not 5, since the poison is not fatal here).

Bravesteel

Post by Bravesteel »

merias wrote:
Bravesteel wrote:Edit: What does "HDE" stand for? I understand that it is CL, but what does the acronym mean?
Hit Dice Equivalent - so in this case the 2+2 HD spider gives XP like a 5 HD creature due to its poison (and I would probably make that a HDE of 3, not 5, since the poison is not fatal here).
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

Bravesteel

Post by Bravesteel »

I wanted to update this as soon as I had made a decision. I have some heavy changes affect my real life recently, and I have had to come to the conclusion that I will not be able to handle a fanzine layout at this time. I made this decision late last night, and did not take it lightly, but I wanted to update this thread before anyone spent anymore of their free time writing articles for it.

If anyone wants to head up this fanzine, that didn't even make it out of the gate, let me know. I am more than willing to hand over the logo assets.

merias
Site Admin

Re: The Smoldering Gazette - Submission Thread *Cancelled*

Post by merias »

Sorry to hear that, Bravesteel. I was looking forward to it, but I understand the time commitment involved. I hope you can re-visit it one day.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Ah, sad news. But I totally understand. I wish you all the best with your real life changes.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Alright I was thinking about the future of Seattle Hill Games... Again.

Once the new Quick start is complete, I think I'll take this on. S&W needs a zine. I'll probably call it, "The Wizards Scroll" or something like that.

Hopefully if Bravesteal finds time down the road he can do the smoldering Gazette.

So if you have anything you would like to submit, send it to me. Special preference for White Box articles!... Just kidding folks :) send anything S&W related.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Very nice! I was working on an adventure which is almost done. Should we have a separate thread for yours?