The Wizard's Scroll Submission Thread

General gaming dicsussion
foxroe

Re: The Wizard's Scroll Submission Thread

Post by foxroe »

Advertising!

I've put a link to this forum in my signature over at ODD74 in hopes that like-minded individuals will check it out, join, and contribute. I love everything S&W and I think it has a lot to offer the "OD&D" crowd, but the only way to spread that is to... advertise.

The more folks we can get to come to the site and participate, the more love you will get for the WS.

I was very happy with the first issue - it was chuck full of fantastic stuff. It would be a shame to see it fold after one issue.

What do you really want to have in the next issue? Adventures, NPC's, new items/spells, art? Put it out there in cyberspace! This is a hobby that attracts a LOT of creative people. You/we just need to encourage them to join and create!

Broadening the scope of the mag may be the easier road, but I would like to see it stay focused on S&W (and more specifically S&W:FMAG). "Torchlight" can be the "official" S&W rag (whatever that means/entails), but that doesn't mean TWS can't put out at least several high-quality resource magazines as well. ;)

<< puts wine bottle away and goes to bed>>
- Fox

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I had a long post about compensation for submitters and money made for the zine but I'll cut it short.

The zine has barely made back what I spent to make issue 1. Which means I'll be using the money made to make issue 2. Which also means I'm not making any money on the zine. I mention this because someone on G+ said people are making money on the submissions of others and only offering "your name in print" as compensation. Which is exactly what I was offering cause I knew no money would be made.

But still, the perception is there.

About advertising. I have posted on G+ about needing submissions and I'll take anything.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

I have a short low-level adventure for submission. It's just text right now (no formatting) and I need to make up the map (only 7 rooms). Do you want me to send it to you for review, or just post it here?
- Fox

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Sweet! You can send it to chuckmason21ATgmailDOTcom

ClawCarver

Post by ClawCarver »

I'd be quite happy to see The Wizard's Scroll become a zine for White Box, which would mean most of its contents would be easily portable to OD&D and other LBB clones like Delving Deeper, etc. White Box certainly seems to be the preferred flavour in this forum.

I have a one-page dungeon for 1st-level PCs that I made a while back. I've run it twice, using B/X D&D and Lamentations of the Flame Princess, but it would work equally well, if not better, for White Box. I will expand it (not much) and include White Box stats and submit it soon-ish.

joseph

Post by joseph »

Charlie,
I have a number of variant classes that I could send you. As well as some variant armor rules.. entirely untested, of course, OSR style. I'll try to get something to you within the next few days.

Suggestion for the zine -
-- if you want to do a shorter format, consider making each issue themed... the fighter issue, the magic item ls issue, etc.
-- if you want to keep a longer format, maybe officially make it quarterly or twice a year. Keep the scope broad, related to any OSR game.
-- consider reaching out to authors of other White Box games and feature material related to those games.

I hope it's not too late to save the zine! I honestly think that Tenkars zine will focus on Light, Uber light, or whatever the next incarnation is called, and maybe complete. There's still room for a solid White Box zine.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Thanks Joseph! That would be sweet if you submitted something.

Right now, I'm thinking it will be focused on White Box going forward.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I'm gearing up to get issue 2 going again.

http://thewizardsscroll.blogspot.com/20 ... zards.html

I'm going to keep it open for all S&W but I'm pretty sure most of the content will end up being White Box.