Foreign language games or sub-forums?

General gaming dicsussion

Would you like to see sub-forums or PbP games in other languages?

Yes, the more the merrier
75%
No, English is fine
No votes
Meh
25%

Total votes: 4

merias
Site Admin

Foreign language games or sub-forums?

Post by merias »

Just floating this idea of foreign-language sub-forums or even play-by-post games. By 'foreign' I mean of course non-English, in my case being both new to Quebec and not fluent in French, I'd love to get some practice in a fun way (and I'll add that there is a French version of S&W White Box). Anyone have any thoughts on this, good/bad/indifferent? Anyone here speak another language?

Wouter

Re: Foreign language games or sub-forums?

Post by Wouter »

I'm indifferent to it. I wouldn't mind to see a foreign-language sub-forum or play-by-post game, but being Dutch I personally don't feel a need for it. Playing the game in Dutch would be weird, I think it would break the immersion.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

That is interesting about breaking immersion. I don't feel that would happen with French, although I admit to zero experience playing games in French (I have only read the French version of S&W). Is Dutch your native, or one of your native languages?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

It's my mother tongue: I was born and raised in the Netherlands and I still live there :) I've read parts of a Dutch translation of "Das Schwarze Auge" ("The Dark Eye", a German RPG) once but it was kind of goofy. I guess we Dutch people aren't very used to media being translated into Dutch, while in neighboring countries like France and Germany you see this a lot more. Even Dutch movies are a bit weird to me because I am so used to them being in English.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Very interesting. I love hearing about other cultures, my drive to improve my French is part of that (and also to fit in :)), the language is very much part of Quebec's identity, as much as most people here speak passable English.

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

English is my native language - the grammar and idiosyncrasies are so ingrained now that I find it difficult to pick up another language (I suppose immersion would help). I tried Latin, French, and German in school and never could get comfortable with any of them (I got close with French). A couple of years ago I tried to pick up some Japanese (I work for a Japanese company) but it just didn't stick. I find Japanese culture fascinating, though, so I may get back to it eventually... probably just in time to retire. ;)

Now all that useless trivia being said, I think it would be a great idea to host PbP in foreign languages. The RPG phenomenon is a world-wide craze, not just an English-speaking one. So, the more the merrier indeed!
- Fox