White Box: FMAG Errata and Updates

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
Shadow Demon

Re: White Box: FMAG Errata and Updates

Post by Shadow Demon »

Mach Front wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:I don't have a choice.
Point of order: You did have a choice until you agreed to use the logo. ;)
Which I still don't get why you would you agree when you are free and clear per the OGL and the S&W CL...?!?

Why empower those that you owe nothing? :!:

Oh well. It is what it is.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

The Wanderer wrote:White Box is trademarked. I was told to put it on the covers. The only other option is to change the name.
White Box is not trademarked. I can find no record in TESS (Trademark Electronic Search System) living or dead.

I looked at all entries and found no living trademark registered to either Matt Finch and/or Mythmere Games.

in fact, I didn't find anything for S&W or Swords & Wizardry either.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

So that would be an unregistered trademark. Where they can still stop you from using the name, I believe.

Seriously guys, this is a small community. Why make enemies? I was covered for the content by the OGL. But was always unsure about the name. It still is Matt's game. And I would rather be a gentleman about it than fight them on it
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

Shadow Demon

Re: White Box: FMAG Errata and Updat

Post by Shadow Demon »

White Box is also not Product Identity as listed in S&W: White Box OGL legal page.

Further, common law trademarks are usually enforceable only within the geographic region or locale where the trademark owner is using it in business.

it just feels like you are being bullied without legal justification. if you feel good about it, then great.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I think you may be imagining it worse than it was. The conversation was friendly. I even offered to change the name. They said that wasn't necessary.

I'm not bothered by it. Yeah, the covers will be impacted. I left them Spartan on purpose. But really it's not that big a deal. Especially if the logo the artists makes looks really good. :D

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

Ok, you are right. I am imagining it worse than it was for my own reasons. I got a little carried away.

I am looking forward to your revision to get it closer to the version I would like. Adobe Acrobat touch-up and a personal Lulu printing will take the rest of the way.

I guess all I can say is I am also looking forward to your version in 2018.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Okay, I'm curious. What touch ups will you do in Adobe? A personal print? Do you do your own covers?

Is there anything I can do with the update to help out?

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

The Wanderer wrote:White Box is trademarked. I was told to put it on the covers. The only other option is to change the name.
Ahh. Now I see why you mentioned an expanded White Box with a name change. Iiiinnnteresting.
Well, anyway, you've done a man's job and have earned a loyal customer. Cheers again.

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

But wait. Were it trademarked...wouldn't "WhiteBox" be trademarked (isn't that how it's written/presented on both cover and text?) and not "White Box" or am I wrong and SO lazy I can't load up a pdf to look? :lol:

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Though I believe Shadow Demon's reasoning and thoughts are indeed valid I agree that if everyone is being cool, let it stay cool. After all, we should remember one of the reasons we are where we are is because some folks couldn't be cool about S&W:WB around about six years or so ago...sssooo....