S&W Continual Light - what's not to like ?

General gaming dicsussion

S&W Continual Light - what's not to like ?

Postby geordie racer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:08 am

We'll see if we can get a public release of the Swords & Wizardry Continual Light Beta PDF in the next few weeks. There are various iterations of the SWCL rules currently in playtest as well as being used as reference by creators of SWL content. We want to lock down the rules before moving on to the rest of the release.

As I've stated before, the full release will add 16 to 20 pages of adventures and setting to the 16 pages of actual rules. So, complete game and campaign material in 32 to 36 pages.

Sounds like the kind of product I was looking for in 2008 when I chanced upon S&W, a well-supported, rules-lite fantasy game with a community. Sure it may be 'it's own thing' rather than an OD&D clone but hasn't S&W always strayed away from the 3LLBs as far as rules were concerned. It's more about the gamestyle right ?

Add to this pocket settings, a zine, 3000 downloads of Light so far, what's not to like ?

*ducks*
geordie racer

Re: S&W Continual Light - what's not to like ?

Postby Shadow Demon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:57 am

Hard to say until it is released. I going to guess it is going to be the 16 pages of rules. I am not particularly impressed with the "perks" system. There were choices in Light that could have better; a repeat of the same ones from WB 1st printing upon which Light was based. Anything else of supporting value will be compatible with WB: FMAG (IMHO. the current gold standard, even more so with the next printing as it corrects many of choices mentioned above). On the Referee side, compatibility is a certainty. The player side is where it is likely to become disposable especially if one already has Spahn's White Box supplements.
Shadow Demon

Return to General Chat