Welcome!

General gaming dicsussion
merias
Site Admin

Re: Welcome!

Post by merias »

tumblingdice wrote:Hey everyone. Longtime member on the Goblinoid Games forums, but have always loved S&W as well: the simplicity, the artwork, and the affordable print versions on Lulu. Heck, I even like the name. Doug, thanks for putting together and managing this forum.
Good to have you here, Steve...and no problem!

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Thanks for posting the older versions of the various editions, too. I dug up a few using the Wayback Machine at archive.org, but having them all here is much easier. I wish the first edition of the white box rules (72 pp., letter sized instead of digest) was still available as POD. I know I can always print it out, but still.
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

tumblingdice wrote:Thanks for posting the older versions of the various editions, too. I dug up a few using the Wayback Machine at archive.org, but having them all here is much easier. I wish the first edition of the white box rules (72 pp., letter sized instead of digest) was still available as POD. I know I can always print it out, but still.
I love that first edition, despite the quirks. It was the first one I played with my kids. I have it in the letter-sized, Mullen soft-cover (it's pictured in the forum header).

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

merias wrote:I love that first edition, despite the quirks. It was the first one I played with my kids. I have it in the letter-sized, Mullen soft-cover (it's pictured in the forum header).
+1
- Fox

Blood axe

Post by Blood axe »

Greetings!

New member to this forum, old member to many other RPG forums. Some of you I recognize, others I look forward to meeting.

Cheers!
Blood Axe

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I started with the Brave Halfling box set. So I never read the first printing. I just found out today that things like the Fighter have a way more evocative description in first. If I ever do a major update to WB:FMAG, I'm going to add that flavor back in. I'm a little surprised it was taken out.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Blood axe wrote:Greetings!

New member to this forum, old member to many other RPG forums. Some of you I recognize, others I look forward to meeting.

Cheers!
Blood Axe
Welcome, BA! Good to have you here.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

Greetings!

I recently found this forum after searching for S&W resources after my dissatisfaction with G+ community forum. Otherwise, I frequent Tenkar’s Tavern for any tidbits since Erik has become the unofficial S&W PR guy.

On that note, Matt Finch is only indirectly promoting S&W through Frog God Games. The website for Mythmere Games is no more and the S&W domain is apparently up for sale. There are remnants of Mythmere material left on Frog God site and Tabletop Library. The recent S&W 3rd Printing KS was pretty much the Bill Webb & Stacy Dellofano show. There wasn’t a single comment made by Matt during its entire run.

With above in mind, I would say the three most exciting things to occur in recent S&W history are the following: 1) Updated White Box printing; and 2) White Box support by James Spahn of Barrel Rider Games; and 3) S&W Light by Erik Steine of Tenkar’s Tavern in association with James Spahn and Zach Glazer.

As introduction to myself, I worked with Frog God Games for about four years under the Shadow Frog moniker. For the first three years I worked on S&W content editing and on 5e content editing for the last year. I had the opportunity to get Matt’s ear enough to incorporate errata changes into the S&W Complete 2nd printing. Of course, that was 2012. Now, I couldn’t even get Matt to respond to an email regarding errata for the 3rd printing. To say that Matt has a lot of personal issues going on and that S&W is no longer a priority would be an understatement.

I have to give huge kudos to Charlie Mason for his White Box update. I would encourage him to not be fearful of branching out from Matt’s shadow if it will improve the consistency, presentation, and playablity of the game. I have a few thoughts on this that I plan to bring up in another post under the appropriate forum that may be useful to include in a future update or not. I am a lot of more mellow about rules specifics than even just a few years ago; this also means that the cows are not nearly as sacred as they used to be. I think fun and community should be the paramount concern although I love to discuss the whats and whys of a ruleset.

P.S. There is a 1st Printing of S&W Complete with a different cover with same layout as the 2nd Printing. I am including a Dropbox link for any interested parties but I would ask specific permission before posting it in the Free Resources forum.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/170 ... 20(1P).pdf

With the highest regards to this S&W community,

James

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Welcome, James! Hopefully we were not too hard to find, although I notice the old S&W forum _still_ shows up in google searches, which is a mystery since it's been offline for a good 6 months. I had suspected as much as far as Matt's waning involvement, hopefully this forum can be a shot in the arm for the S&W community and can fill in what G+ lacks. I'm surprised the domain is up for sale, I thought FG would put up a new site there at some point, it seems natural to want to keep the domain of one of your products, just from a marketing perspective.

Thanks for clarifying the editions of the complete rules and for providing the PDF of the first print. I have both versions, but what always confused me was that the second printing doesn't say it is the second printing anywhere, and I have never been able to find any differences between the two (other than the cover, but I admit I did not compare them too closely). I have written permission from Matt to offer any of the older versions for free, so I'll get it posted shortly.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

There are errata differences between the 1st Priniing and the 2nd. In particular, there are corrections for monsters making them closer to the 0e version as opposed to using 1e. For example, shadow HD was reduced from 3+3 to 2+2 The combat movement rate was modified using the B/X rule which was introduced in the Core 4th Printing (this printing was done between the two Complete printings). Also, notice the difference in the Undead Turning Table. I don't know why the 2nd printing label was left off.