Buying magic items

General gaming dicsussion
black cavalier

Buying magic items

Post by black cavalier »

Hi, I'm starting out running S&W for some friends & they've got enough money now that they might start wanting to buy some magic items.

Does anyone have a formula for the cost of items? I was thinking about something like 100gp/level of spell/charge. So a wand of invisibility with 5 charges would be 1000gp.

But I'm worried that if I set the formula too low, the players will be able to buy pretty powerful items at a cheap price.

Also, how do you handle having the players identify magic items. I know the spell isn't in B/X, but I couldn't find what level it is in AD&D 2nd ed. From a quick scan of ideas for B/X, the general consensus is that it should be very hard or expensive to have items identified.

Thanks

JMiskimen

Re: Buying magic items

Post by JMiskimen »

Maliki

Post by Maliki »

Buying or selling magic items is a very rare thing in my campaigns. To me buying an a magic item cheapens the game, magic is a rare and wondrous thing to be found during adventures, not purchased like a pair of boots.

JMiskimen

Post by JMiskimen »

I dunno ... It really depends on how much magic is in your campaign/setting.There are .357 handguns available in stores, but if I come across one for free, I'm pretty excited about that. YMMV.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I like to make minor magical items available - potions, scrolls of lower-level spells, maybe a miscellaneous item with one property, but make the more powerful items rare and never for sale. Although it might be fun to have a mundane item be magical in some way that is unknown to both seller and buyer.