Chapter 4 Rescue Mission to Harkbone

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
jcftao

Chapter 4 Rescue Mission to Harkbone

Post by jcftao »

This is the 19th day of February, 2nd year after God Fall

Fifteen men-at-arms await your commands at the riverbank east of New Wickersham. They are equipped with ring mail, light crossbow, sword and shield. Their sergeant is a burly and blustery man with gray sideburns and a bald head. He is Gustoff but his men call him Sarge and his peers, 'Gus'.

A half dozen fishing boats are ready to transport your company across the river.

Gus squints as he looks across the river. He addresses Alexander, the young knight, "Sir, Harkbone is two days march, but my men are ready to make a forced march if you deem it necessary? They are a good lot of soldiers, I hand picked them and they won't let you down in a fight. What are your orders, sir?"

Wouter

Re: Chapter 4 Rescue Mission to Harkbone

Post by Wouter »

Alexander takes an extensive look at the well-equipped men-at-arms. Yes. This might work after all. He turns to their commander, smiling confidently: "Fine looking men, indeed, sergeant. You did well." He turns around and his gaze drifts across the river, towards Harkbone, and he thinks back to how Milton, Aldarren and he barely escaped from Dunley's men before.

"I think our best chances are attacking at night. I know their type... Mercenaries. Hirelings." He is silent for a bit and spits, clearly off-put by the thought this vermin. "Neither pride nor honor, just in it for the cash, women and drink. Their weakest moment will be at night, when their wits are hazed by wine and their limbs softened by intimacies. Lord Dunley himself will probably be in Lord Gavin's mansion by then, a day's walk from Harkbone. If we act quickly, we'll be well on our way taking the villagers to safety before he gets any wind of what's going down in Harkbone."

He turns back, looking around to see if any of the others are around. "I'd like to give it some thought and consult with my companions, though. I strongly value their opinion on this matter."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton nods at Alexander's words. Yes, I think you are right to attack at night. I'm no war-general, but I know that I do best in shadow and fog. If we strike at night, as you suggest, we can not only catch them unawares but also nullify whatever advantage they might have in numbers.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Once again the company (you really need a cool name here) departs beyond the Falling River. The day is warm and dry. Well wishers from the town are here to see you off. Women bring loaves of hard bread and skins of honey wine. Peter and Belle make MIlton promise to return safely. Claire makes sure each member of the party has a healing poultice. [Each party will still have a total of one poultice...aids in healing.]
Lord Wickersham gives Milton a rolled piece of parchment. "Milton, hang this in the town of Harkbone, where that dog Dunley will find it."
With a stirring speech, Lord Miles Wickersham bids you safe travel and good fortune. You are moved by the tone and his words. The men-at-arms seem to stand taller and want to do their duty for this lord.

Off you go, into the boats...across the Falling River...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Party Status
Aldarren, R1, AC14, HP 16/16, ST14, battle ax and shortbow
Alexander, F1, AC15, HP 8/8, ST14, bastard sword and shortbow
Frederick, Monk1, AC11, HP 7/7, ST15, pole arm and longbow
Milton, T1, AC14, HP 5/5, ST15, bastard sword and shortbow

NPCs
Sgt. Gustoff "Gus", AC14, HD3, HP 15/15, ST17, sword, light crossbow, ring mail, and shield
15 Men-at-arms, AC14, HD1, HP 5/5, ST17, sword, light crossbow, ring mail, and shield

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

While crossing the river, Alexander will make some small talk with the sergeant, trying to see if he has any insights on tactics. "What do you think, Gus? Is it wise to move in one large group or should we maybe see if we can get some flanking advantage by moving in from different directions in smaller groups? I we do the latter we can more quickly reach all villagers and inform them that they should run while we deal with Dunley's men. On the other hand, we might be more vulnerable if we don't get our timing just right..."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The grizzled sergeant pauses with a bit of surprise, "Beggin' your pardon, my lord, but rarely do the lowly grunts, get asked their opinion of battle tactics. I'm not sayin' that's a bad thing to do, but most often, they just tell us to charge or hold the line."

"Now, I've seen a bit of skirmishing in my day. I know that if you don't have numbers on your side, the best thing is to gain some advantage--whether it be high ground, or surprise. Scouts can tell us a whole lot of information about the situation. I'd would ask that woodsman of yours to scout the road ahead of us and when we near Harkbone, perhaps him and Milton can find out what numbers may be at the village. Then we can make a better plan to get people out of there without many folks getting hurt."

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander nods satisfied: "My thougths exactly, sergeant. Thank you for your insights." He then turns to Aldarren and Milton: "Are you up for scouting ahead at nightfall?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton ribbits a yes. At nightfall he will go full-on rogue / scout.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The day closes as your company makes camp. Milton, the rana, will move into the night. Barely a sound is disturbs the stillness of the night.
Milton moves down the path as quietly as he can. The night is still, except for the rustling of a few nocturnal creatures. Fortunately, they appear to be possums.

The day breaks as your company begins the second day of their march to Harkbone. About twelve miles travel will get your company there with plenty of daylight left.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fortune favors the company as you make good time towards Harkbone. Just before dusk, Milton returns to the group with no sign of advanced scouts or guards on the road ahead. The village is quiet with no appearance of increased patrol or troop build up. The villages were seen returning to their hovels for the evening. Smoke rises from the largest hut in the center of the town...the great hall.

Actions?