Chapter 4 Rescue Mission to Harkbone

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
greyarea

Re: Chapter 4 Rescue Mission to Harkbone

Post by greyarea »

Milton is startled! Mercy? At this late hour? he mumbles.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Wouter wrote:Alexander lifts his hand: "Hold your fire, sergeant..." He then raises his voice and addresses Lord Dunley's men: "Turn around and begone! Leave this village and never return, if you value your lives! Let it be known that Lord Wickersham will not let this world fall into the hands of Chaos. In the never dawning night that fell after Godfall now the light of your true ruler breaks through: the Kingdom will prevail!"
A greasy, unkempt fellow walks cautiously out, "Wickersham's men?" He spits on the ground as if the name precipitated the act. "Well, I'll be buggered! I thought the old warthog was dead? This ain't Wickersham's land anymore. Lord Dunsley owns this village, the fields, and the serfs that toil here."

He seems to become emboldened as he speaks. His men can be seen at the edges of the great hall, more silhouettes than solid, they wait.

"Seems to me, that you need to be respecting my lord's claims. I'll let you live, if you lay down your arms. Make haste, or I swear we will run you down..."

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander quickly turns to Milton and Aldarren: "What do you say we show them we mean business?"

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

If none of his trusted companions objects, Alexander will signal to the sergeant to let a volley of arrows fly, primarily to kill the ones who stepped forward and in particular the greasy fellow speaking. After the rain of arrows has finished he will try to break the morale of the ones still standing, shouting back orders to nock arrows for the next volley and roaring: "Lord Wickersham makes no idle threats! Choose wisely and flee, or suffer the same fate as the fools that now lie at your feet!"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton nods with a smile when the order is given. He fires his arrows at the leader.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The leader's eyes widen as he realizes he'd pushed Wickersham's men too far. As he turns to retreat towards the village, Milton's arrows pin cushion him. He falls to his knees and dies instantly.

Aldarren's arrows fail to hit their mark.

Frederick's longbow hits with one arrow into the neck of a warrior, killing him.

Sgt. Gustafsen's company of crossbows volley into the remaining warriors. Several fall and others retreat under the hail of crossbow bolts.
Initiative: Alexander=5, Dunley's men=3

Men at arms fire crossbows
18 5 8 20 16 dmg= 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 5
7 16 17 17 5

Sgt Gustafson
19 dmg=3

Milton 2 arrows
16 18 dmg=5, 4

Aldarren 2 arrows
8 4

Frederick 2 arrows
18 8 dmg=4

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander raises his arm and then abruptly drops it: "...Fire!" After the second wave of arrows has crushed upon the shore of evil he orders the men to move in: "Forward, men! Free the villagers and send them back to the ships! Let none stand in your way!"

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The remainder of Dunley's men scattered like leaves in the wind. Fearing the crossbows more than the dark of night, they plunge into the woods surrounding the village. Sgt. Gustafson reports that no more than half a dozen men fled and four enemies were killed in the initial volley near the great hall.

Several tense moments elapse before villagers tentatively peek their heads out of the huts. Sep, the man who had helped you before is there to great you.

"Praise the gods! I know these men!" He rushes to clasp hands with Milton, Aldarren, and Alexander.

"Dunley's men deserved what they got, and plenty." He looks upon the fallen leader and kicks dirt upon him.

"We have forty-four souls here, including a few elderly and children. Some are weak with hunger, but we are all ready to go with you."

His eyes moisten with sadness, "If only our daughter could have made the journey with us. Dunley's men took her south to his manor but a fortnight ago."

He looks at Alexander, "Lord, I beg you help my little girl, if it is in your power to do so...do this and I shall serve you from that day hence."

What are your actions?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander consults with Aldarren and Milton: "What do you say we take some of the men and have a look near the manor?" he says, and adding in a whisper so that Sep and his wife don't hear it: "Even if it's just to find out if Felicity is still alive..."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton agrees, That's sound. I do think you should redirect Sup's praise to Lord Wickersham. If Wickersham gets wind that you are stealing his glory, it might not turn out good for us.

He turns to Gustafson and says, Find out who among these are able to join us. We need to turn them into a fighting force quickly, not some crazed rabble. That won't help.

Now hop to!