Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
jcftao

Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Post by jcftao »

Our party of weary and wounded companions travel westward to return to Wickersham. Their mission to free the people of Harkbone has been won. The town of Wickersham is buzzing with excitement as the heroes return. The celebration is dampened by the death of two men-at-arms and Sep, the villager.

What is next for the company?

Do they regroup and return to exact vengeance upon the rogue Lord Dunsley?

Or do they move on to other paths?

Actions?

jcftao

Re: Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Post by jcftao »

A New Day...

The sun rises on a new day and the struggle continues. In an effort to increase the security of his holdings, Lord Wickersham has sent scouting parties in all directions. Adventurers to the east have returned with villagers who have suffered under a cruel lord. Even at this moment, the lord may be gathering troops to march on Wickersham and reclaim his property.

Lord Wickersham is gathering brave adventurers to continue the fight...are you ready?

Actions?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Monday, February 22nd, Wickersham

The morning comes early. Milton and Alexander have taken residence in the make shift hospital run by Claire. Both adventurers have severe injuries from the foray to the blackguard Dunsley's manor.

Hot porridge with goat's milk and honey fill two large bowls.

"You boys need to eat all of this and then we will get those dressings changed. You nearly didn't come back to me like you promised!"

You look around and see others resting in the large hall, recognizing some of the villagers that you rescued from Harkbone.

A young woman approaches, curtsies, and gives each of you a bouquet of freshly picked wildflowers, "I picked them just outside the castle gate, sirs. Thank you for bringing me mum and dad and me lil' brother to the castle." She smiles and slips away to set by an older woman resting in a bed by the window.

Claire moves into view to take your empty bowls and fluff your pillows.

"Rest now, lads. I'm not letting either of you out of your beds for a week...if Sir Miles has need of you, I will tell him to come here."

[Game mechanics--PCs will regain 1 hp per day of uninterrupted rest]

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Saturday, February 27, Wickersham Hospital, nightfall

Slumber welcomes you with open arms. Your wounds are healing well under the care of the kindly woman, Claire.

Milton, you sleep fitfully and open your eyes to see a dark form standing over your bed.

"Quiet...young Rana...let's not wake the others..."

Milton's wide eyes gather in the smallest amounts of light in the darkened hall. He recognizes the voice and the face of Kellan, apprentice to the Castle Wizard, Erlander.

"Have you gotten anything else? What did you find in Dunsley's manor? No items is too small...and I must impress on you the danger of carrying any enchanted objects on your person. My Master will use them to strengthen our defenses..."

Alexander lies still in the next bed, he hears the whispering of the apprentice, but can still make out most of the discussion.

What are your actions?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Cut Scene...forest road north of Wickersham...

The sun rays are stronger today, spring is on its way. A lone figure on horseback rides swiftly but quietly along the dirt road. Several grouse strung across his back, the woodsman stops short, cocks an ear and listens...

he hears the sounds of steel upon steel and loud cursing!

From up around the bend of the road a ragged fellow runs. Screaming, he runs into the woods clutching a nearly severed arm. More sounds of battle rage up ahead. Through the trees, Tarmo the Wary sees the source of the noise.

A giant of a man stands with his back to a tree, his two handed sword dripping red.

Five ragged men surround the lone fighter. They wield club, spears, and one has a sword. Dressed in tattered cloaks and poorly armored, they look hungry for a kill.

The man curses in the dialect of a northlander, "Dogs! You've waylaid the wrong wolf this day! By Adalbern's beard! If I die this day, I shall make a good accounting!"

Tarmo, what do you do?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Hoping his intuition is correct, Tarmo dismounts and calms his horse. He nocks an arrow, readies a second and cautiously advances on foot along the bend until he has an unfettered, close range shot at the brigands. He wastes no time shooting two arrows at the ragged man with a sword, then ducks into the woods and nocks another arrow.

ooc: Forgot he would be on his horse...updated slightly to reflect that.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The brigands are certainly surprised, their attention on the big northman with the zweihander!

Tarmo's first arrow flies unerringly towards the swordsman, catching him in the back!

The swordsman falls to his knees clutching for the arrow...he dies moments later!

The archer draws another arrow and nocks it. He targets another ruffian holding a spear.
His father's bow is almost a part of him now...the arrow flies true, sinking deep into the man's neck!

Two ruffians fall...the other three are busy fending off the giant northman's attack!

Thorhall, you are up...
Attack roll...15 Hit! 4 damage!
Attack roll...13 Hit! 3 damage! Two brigands down....

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Thorhall, with his sword at the ready, yells
TODAY YOU HAVE MET YOUR END! at the three left in front of him
and with that he sweeps his sword in a large arch directed at their necks

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The northlander moves to one side and swings mightily through the neck of a club wielding ruffian!

[roll=15 hit, 8 damage!]

The villain's head separates cleanly from his neck...

The remaining ruffians are either insane or desperate...they continue to press the northman...

[morale check=10]

[Initiative=ruffians 4, PCs 1]

The ruffians curse their bad luck and rush upon the giant northlander with clubs!
The first man rushes in clipping Thorhall on the shoulder. The large fighter grunts in pain as the club hits his shoulder [4 points of damage!]

The second man's club strikes a glancing blow on his armor, no damage.

What do you do?

Options--aiming will add +1 for each round spent aiming (+2 max)

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Tarmo stows his bow and considers staying put as he sees another brigand fall. But then he sees the barbarian take a blow to his shoulder, so he quietly moves in behind the brigands, freeing his handaxe from his belt. When he is withing striking range, Tarmo attacks the club-wielding man from behind!