Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
Wouter

Re: Chapter 5 Return to Wickersham

Post by Wouter »

Alexander looks up at the top floors of the old wizard's tower and then gazes at the heavy iron door. He whispers to Milton: "This place gives me the creeps... Are you sure we are doing the right thing by visiting Erlander at this hour?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Kellan, apprentice to the Castle Wizard, attempted to ensorcel me! I'd say that's of upmost importance, friend. I must hear what Erlander has to say of this, replies the Rana. If either are attempting to betray Sir Miles or the good people of this town, we must know of it!

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Heavy pounding of the iron knocker reverberates through the chilly courtyard. The guards jump in nervousness as the captain continues to knock....a few moments later a light can be see coming from the second story window...a head pops out, it looks to be Kellan, but you aren't sure until you hear his voice.

"What is this about?! If you wake my master, he will be cross! Go away before I turn you into a newt!" and with that, he ducks his head back in the window.

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Thorhall grunts in a agreement
Tell me Tarmo, do you know of this Mrs. Goodwell? My people are wary of book dealers and magic users.
Perhaps we should be cautious of her.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Son_of_Sod wrote:Thorhall grunts in a agreement
Tell me Tarmo, do you know of this Mrs. Goodwell? My people are wary of book dealers and magic users.
Perhaps we should be cautious of her.
"I do not know her, but I agree we should be wary. Let us try and find out where she lives - I know a sergeant in the town guard, perhaps he can be of some service." Tarmo says.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

"I do not know her, but I agree we should be wary. Let us try and find out where she lives - I know a sergeant in the town guard, perhaps he can be of some service." Tarmo says.[/quote]

And with that, Tarmo and Thorhall take their rest, each of them tired from the day's adventure.

Thorhall feels his shoulder and winces in pain. The blow from that ruffian's club may have done more damage than he at first thought.

OOC--I shall say that Tarmo was able to bind Thorhall's wounds at the end of the last battle, giving him back 3 hp. As players, this is your job to state that from now on...I'm just being the friendly DM this one time.... :twisted:

For the record, Thorhall is currently at 7 hp (injury is a loss of 1 hp). A full day of uninterrupted rest will heal one hit point (plus any bonus due to CON). Any adventuring, travel, or strenuous activity will negate the healing.

We will pause here with Thorhall and Tarmo and finish the scene with Milton and Alexander now....

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Farlo, Captain of the Guard, hammers on the door once again..."We have important business with your master! Now, let us in or I shall summon a squad of men with broad axes!"

A black silhouette peers out the window above. You can make out some mumbling and see hands outstretched...suddenly you all feel really tired...and blackness envelopes you.

[Init...kellan=5, PCs=4]

You wake to shouting and feel yourself being roughly shaken, "Wake up! Wake up, now! What has transpired here?"

You see Sir Miles standing over you and several other guardsmen. It appears all of your group had fallen fast asleep.

Standing in the doorway, leaning on a carved staff, is Erlander, the castle wizard..."I'm sorry my friends. It appears that Kellan had greater ambition than I had hoped. Alas! He has fled. We might still be able to locate him if the guard patrol is lucky. No telling what he has taken with him. If only I had my sight, I may yet be of use!"

Sir MIles interrupts the elf, "Wizard Erlander, you have been my father's loyal friend and now my trusted advisor. Do not take your role so lightly. Praise Theos that the traitor Kellan did not take your life as he fled!"

"Nevertheless, I shall have the guards make a search of the castle and town and patrols will check all roads in the morrow." He turns to Milton and Aexander, "If you both are feeling fit, I request your presence at breakfast in the morning. We have matters of state to discuss."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton replies,I'm fit enough. First he tries to ensorcel me, and now he puts me into magical slumber. I've a thought to return the favor, a bit more permanently. The rana taps a pattern on his bow with his long amphibian fingers as he muses that last statement.

He turns and looks at his fellow, You with me, Alexander?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The next day in the hall of Castle Wickersham:

Morning comes early for Alexander and Milton. Sleep was fleeting as visions of lurking sorcerers kept both men tossing and turning in their beds.

Sleep came easily for Tarmo and his large friend Thorhall. The shutters of the town meeting hall shook with the great snores of both men. Ah...the sleep of the innocent! How easy rest those fortunate souls that are untroubled by the machinations of politics.

Morning comes and shakes Tarmo and Thorhall from their peaceful slumbers. It is in the guise of the Captain of the Guard. He has been informed of the fight on the north road and has come to interview the men.

Learning of some of the details, the captain politely requests the men come to the great hall of the castle, where Sir Miles Wickersham, Lord of the castle is holding a meeting.

The great hall is lit well enough to see the faces of other men around long rectangular tables. Sir Miles is welcoming and hospitable. He bids you all eat the breakfast provided...warm porridge, some honey, and thick slices of bread. Meat is a scarcity and has been for several years.

Sir Miles introduces two men...one, a young knight and the other a small frogkin...a rana. Sir Alexander and Milton are known by most of the men here as the Heroes of Harkbone.

Sir Miles speaks, "Gentlemen, I've asked you here to offer a pledge of fealty. I know that only a few of you sitting here have land and are afforded the rights of noblemen. But it now a different world...a different Cormandy. The evil god, Heimos, has struck a mortal blow to his own father, Adalbern and has done likewise to many of the gods and goddesses of Pendria. He even smote his own sister, Pallandria. Striking her in the night sky and leaving behind a broken moon. Theos has come into this world and many of the faithful have seen a light glowing and beckoning a new dawn for this world. I am now going to offer you the lands of my ancestral home. They are yours for the taking provided you swear allegiance to the king and to me. Bastard, begger, or prince...I care not what you were in the past. Now, you are men hold their own destiny. What you do with it is up to you. What say you? Will you join with me in mending this shattered country? The dangers are fierce, but the rewards are great for those willing."

So, this call to arms comes as a surprise for many of the men around the table. Tarmo and Thorhall feel as the invitation was some sort of mistake. To be clear, Sir Miles is not knighting anyone just yet or giving away huge tracts of land...but he is looking for men of action. Those men that can create change for the good.

What are your actions?

OOC--I will be moving the story along as best I can. If I haven't heard from any players for a day or so, I will try to keep the game moving.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Tarmo is speechless for a moment. Land! Surely this is meant for the heroes of Harkbone? He has heard of their exploits through those he knows in town. Yet he and Thorhall were summoned personally...

Tarmo steps forward.

"My lord, if it is fealty you ask, you shall have it from me. My bow and axe are yours, as is my will to fight." Tarmo steps back and glances at the others.