Chapter 6: For King and Country?

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
jcftao

Re: Chapter 6: For King and Country?

Post by jcftao »

The party bids farewell to Marta Goodfellow and ventures out in search of this woodsman.

OOC--do you have a specific woodsman in mind? Where will you go to find this person?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote:The party bids farewell to Marta Goodfellow and ventures out in search of this woodsman.

OOC--do you have a specific woodsman in mind? Where will you go to find this person?
Yes, he is one of the three town contacts I rolled up, but I have no details:

Contacts
Blacksmith
Sergeant of the guard
Local woodsman

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Tarmo works his way to the marketplace where he hopes to meet Ress the woodsman.

The marketplace is quite different now that the years before God Fall. Now, only the essentials of life appear to be on display. The fineries of yesterday are but a summer's dream. The bitter struggle of day to day survival is a constant, gnawing threat.

Past makeshift stalls with haggard vendors selling used clothing, old blankets, puny root vegetables, scavenged tools, Tarmo comes to a woodshed. Several men stand around handcarts and are engaged in conversation.

They look up and greet Tarmo, for he is a friend to Ress, a local woodsman, and known by them.

"Greetings, Tarmo. Looks as if you are on the trail of bigger game than woodland grouse, no?", one of the men states looking at Tarmo's well armed companions.

Tarmo does not see Ress, the woodsman, here at present.

OOC--Is there anything you wish to ask of the men or do you wish for me to narrate this for you?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton eagerly agrees.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"Indeed I am, my friends," Tarmo says with a smile."But perhaps you can help in Ress' stead, we are looking for information on a smoky-eyed wood seller. Have you heard of such a man?"

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

merias wrote:"Indeed I am, my friends," Tarmo says with a smile."But perhaps you can help in Ress' stead, we are looking for information on a smoky-eyed wood seller. Have you heard of such a man?"
"Aye, that I did..." drawls Elias, one of the older men in the group.

"He looked strange...his cloudy eye and all. I can't recall seeing him around here until a month or so back. Last I saw the bugger, he'd been hauling wood with them Skinner boys...they got a farm just west 'o town 'bout half a mile..."

"He in some kind of trouble?"

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"For his sake I hope not, Elias, but he may know where Marta Goodfellow's husband has gone," Tarmo says. Then, a bit more quietly, "And if you would keep this between ourselves, I'd be thankful."

Tarmo turns to face the others. "Well it seems we should visit the Skinner farm, what say you all?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Tally ho, says Milton, perhaps a tad too energetically.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Heading out of the town gates, the group moves along a cart path to the west. Farmers in the fields wave at the adventurers and then return to the soil, preparing it for a new season of crops.

The terrain is mostly flat, fertile farmland with a few rolling hills. A small copse of woods to the north hides a small herd of deer, but both Tarmo and Milton spot them grazing near the trees.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Moving onward after scaring the herd of deer away, Tarmo and company come upon a small collection of ramshackle buildings surrounded by a waist high stone wall and a wooden gate. The gate is open and Tarmo can see an old woman in the yard helping her husband load split wood into a broken down hand cart.

As Tarmo knocks at the wooden gate, they pause and stop working. Tarmo and company walk into the yard, scattering a couple thin chickens as they go.

The man eyes the armed group suspiciously, "We want no trouble...I am a poor woodcutter and this is my wife. If you've come to rob us, take what you will...little there is of it."