Wickersham, Chapter 2 New Wickersham

Jcftao's Whitebox Campaign
kjc

Re: Wickersham, Chapter 2 New Wickersham

Post by kjc »

Aldarren - Ranger
Aldarren visibly relaxes as Frederick comes around. 'Yes, we all need rest," he says to the group. Waving to Milton and the children, he bids them to join all at the fire. With a whispered "Thank you," to Milton, the woodsman removes a ration and begins eating. "When all are settled, I will take first watch. But first I would head back to the giant's camp to have a look around."

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton leaves the children (You'll be safe here with these brave souls) to go search the giant's camp with Aldarren. He will search the giant and his possessions for things of value but also to try to find out why he's chosen to attack this village (in case there is deeper motivation than just opportunity that he might discover through notes or the like).

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Alexander squats down near the fire, staying behind with Fredrick, Cedric and Tamerlane. He lays out his weaponry and shield in front of him and meticulously starts wiping them all down with a piece of cloth and some oil, carefully checking everything for dents and notches in the process. After he finishes, he takes out a ration from his backpack and starts nibbeling on some dried meat. He offers some to the children, smiling: "Eat up, younglings. You still look like you are starving." Turning to Tamerlane and Cedric: "Fredrick should rest tonight, so it's just the five of us who will have to stand guard. Do you mind if I take the second watch?"

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

"I do not mind at all," the mage replies. "I will need the night to recover my spell. If there are any objections, I do not mind standing watch."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Milton and Aldarren take a more careful look at the giant's camp. Aside from the smoking carcass of the black bear, they find a bedroll of green hides, poorly scraped and quite foul. A cask lies empty nearby. The smell of cheap wine is all that remains.

Underneath the bedroll is a stout leather sack containing the following...
three stones the size of a human's head, a leg of venison with a slight green tinge to it, a knight's helm (with a thumb sized hole through both sides), two iron manacles, a small pouch with 34 gp, 233 sp, and two rough cut gems (possibly emeralds), a scuffed up scroll case, a mud caked dagger in a wooden sheath, and a battered war horn (flat as a pancake)

--------------------------------------------------

A small, yet cheery fire is made and trail rations are passes around the company. The darkness seems a little less overbearing now, stars can be seen twinkling overhead and Pallandrian shines down, her large graceful crescent hiding the scars of recent history. She shines down as if providing comfort to the little ones nestled in the bedroll. Amongst the trees, riding low on the horizon, is Heimos, the small, sanguine moon. it glowers at its viewers, as if trying to dominate all things.

The company has won their first battle, but many more loom ahead before all may find peace. But for now, it is enough.

Peter and Belle roll over in their bedroll and each child plants a quick kiss on the rana's brow, "Goodnight, Uncle Miltie! Thank you for saving us from that mean old giant..." whispers Belle, and they fall fast asleep.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Milton leaves the meat and brings the sack to the others. I'll clean the dagger and see if that has any value. I'm guessing that the helmet and horn are junk, but the money is good as are the emeralds. We can pay someone to care for these tadpoles with some of the money, I think.

Tamerlane, you might want to take a look at the scroll case.
He will set to cleaning the dagger.

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

Tamerlane takes the old scroll case from Milton, offering his thanks before settling down at his spot. His spell book is open, the pages lit by the light of a candle. The aspiring wizard handles the scroll case with care, examining the exterior surface before opening it to reveal its contents, if any.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The scroll is cracked ivory. Tamerlane sees no writing or symbols to cause him to pause. Gently, he cleans the case and carefully opens the end.

Out slides a rolled tube of several pages of vellum. Magical symbols adorn each page.

-----------------------

MIlton wipes the grime and mud off the dagger. The scabbard is surprisingly in excellent shape. It is made of a dark hardwood with delicate script on it.

He pulls the dagger from the sheath. It pulses once with a deep green glow and then remains dark. Symbols adorn the blade. The heft and balance of the blade feel perfect. It is not a heavy blade, but slim and quite sharp as Milton notices, when he runs a thumb across the edge.

Actions?

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Fredrick is pretty badly injured and will need some healing if he is to be useful anytime soon.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

As Fredrick is taking a full night's rest he should regain 1 hit point: a Strong Drink before he goes to sleep would add another 1d4 hit points to that. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has any... Any other ideas?