The Elder Temple

Merias' White Box game
Mike

Re: The Elder Temple

Post by Mike »

Oberon quickly adjusts one of Skull-breaker's spikes to improve aerodynamics then takes another swing!

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Gerhard will throw his handaxe at the oncoming horde and then move behind the better armored ones while readying his bow.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Dolgrim will once more try to deal a deadly blow to the remaining creature.

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Guntram will stand back, ready his flail. The wound he sustained is causing him to grimace at the pain, but he will not dishonor the Goddess by being afraid to die.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Round 2!
Initiative party: 1d6=3 creatures: 1d6=6

The lead creature looks at Guntram briefly, then decides to go after Dolgrim, missing him. The three other creatures move into melee, one wounding Gerhard and one wounding Dolgrim.

Grimma and Oberon land fatal blows on the creatures attacking them, while Gerhard wounds another. Dolgrim cannot find a target with his axe.

From behind you, you hear a magical enchantment being read. When it is done, only Guntram remains standing, he can see it also affected the two remaining creatures.

From beyond, in the room to the north, Guntram and Fenwick can hear a loud scraping rock-on-rock sound and the sound of footsteps, coming towards you.

Only Guntram, Fenwick and Bart remain standing. Actions?

[code]
+----------+----------+----------+
|Grimma (L)|Full HP | |
|Oberon |7/7 | |
|Fenwick |6/6 |<0> |
|Dolgrim |5/7 | |
|Guntram |3/9 |<CLW> |
|Gerhard |3/7 | |
|Bart |4/4 | |
[/code]
Mechanics:
The one creature may or may not pursue Guntram, we'll say with all the other targets that just appeared it will only pursue on 1 in 6: 1d6=3 no, it stays put and attacks who? 1d4=3 Dolgrim.

Creature #1 vs. Dolgrim 1d20=4 MISS

The three other creatures fill in the ranks, they attack 3d4=4,2,3 Gerhard, Oberon and Dolgrim.
Creature #2 vs. Gerhard 1d20=14 HIT 1d6=2 damage
Creature #3 vs. Oberon 1d20=8 MISS
Creature #4 vs. Dolgrim 1d20=20 HIT 1d6=1 damage

Grimma - sword 1d20=16 HIT 1d6=4 damage CREATURE KILLED
Oberon - skullbreaker 1d20=17+2=19 HIT 1d6=4+1=5 damage CREATURE KILLED
Dolgrim - axe 1d20=6+2=8 MISS
Gerhard - axe 1d20=19+1=20 HIT 1d6=1 damage CREATURE WOUNDED (note this can't be thrown as Gerhard was already in melee in round 1)

Fenwick sleep spell:

Sleep in OD&D is fairly vague, I'm assuming it will target all creatures within the given range of 120 feet, subject to the HD restrictions, including party members. I'm using the table from Wanderer's WB since it makes more sense.

Sleep affects 2d6+3 creatures of 1 HD - 2d6=11+3=14 and 2d6 of 1+to 2+ HD - 2d6=4

So everyone falls asleep, including the two remaining creatures, all except for one of the group of five party members with 1+ HD - I'll assume that is Guntram, since he has 2HD, more than anyone here. Bart is close enough to Fenwick that he is also unaffected.

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Guntram glances at Fenwick then at his wound and grins. He says, "The Goddess sees fit to challenge my faith today."
Guntram will scramble to his nearest sleeping companion and wake him up.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

RhinoDino1973 wrote:Guntram will scramble to his nearest sleeping companion and wake him up.
That could be anyone - with the commotion of melee they would have been moving around. So let's say 1d6=4 Gerhard is closest to you. Let me know if you would rather wake someone else, or more than one someone :).

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

We could just loot everyone and head back to town, Fenwick notes to himself under his breath as he takes dagger to the enemies while his companion wakes his allies.

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

That could be anyone - with the commotion of melee they would have been moving around. So let's say 1d6=4 Gerhard is closest to you. Let me know if you would rather wake someone else, or more than one someone :)
Guntram will wake all his fallen comrades. I had assumed I could only wake one per round.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Fenwick and Bart move forward, weapons ready, as Guntram begins to wake the others. It goes quick - a swift kick from the portly priest is all it takes. Gerhard wakes first, then Oberon and Dolgrim and finally Grimma. You are getting back to your feet when three more creatures run straight at you - this time you recognize them as more of the cannibals you saw in the kitchen area.

I assume waking a magically slept individual takes very little time given the small area you all are in, and don't forget the one-minute combat rounds. Once woken, you can fully engage the following round as you get back to your feet. That does not preclude trying to do something from a prone position, of course - you just won't be able to use your weapons as you normally would. So you can do some sort of limited prone action, or wait until next round to get back to your feet.

Initiative coming up! Actions?

[code]
|Grimma (L)|Full HP | |
|Oberon |7/7 | |
|Fenwick |6/6 |<0> |
|Dolgrim |5/7 | |
|Guntram |3/9 |<CLW> |