Return to the Elder Temple

Merias' White Box game

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby merias » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Not yet! :twisted:

You scout a bit and find a nice campsite a few hundred yards to the east of the temple, in a wooded clearing. You can hear the river from where you are. You opt not to start a fire (no one said you were, so I'll not assume), and eat cold rations and water before settling in. The night is clear and the moon rises, you huddle in your cloaks for warmth against the chill. Several hours pass, and Finnr is up for his turn at watch. He is perhaps momentarily entranced by the sound of the river, and misses the telltale clues that would have alerted him to those approaching. He is startled by a loud crack to the north, then sees six small, reptilian humanoids rushing at him, a mere 7 paces away! Kobolds! They each stand half a man's height, but charge en masse and manage to tackle Finnr to the ground, even as the rest if you are jolted awake. The six creatures are dragging Finnr off into the woods to the north, as he struggles and cries out. By the time you come to your senses Finnr is just being dragged into the woods proper. You hear whoops and yells to the north, there may be more creatures!

Actions?

Mechanics:

Encounter: 1d6=1
Whose watch? 1d6=3 Finnr
Surprise: Finnr 1d6=1 Kobolds 1d6=5 Finnr is surprised distance 2d10=7 yards
Six of the creatures can pile on one man, since they are small.
Grapple six kobolds vs. one man 3d6=13, 1d6=1 Finnr is pinned!
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Eastern Townships, Québec

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby greyarea » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:47 pm

Fenwick ejaculates, I knew we should have stayed inside! as he prepares his spell for the first kobold he sees! Once in sight he will cast either charm person (if it's an individual kobold) or sleep (if there are multiple).
User avatar
greyarea
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby merias » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Fenwick can only see the six Kobolds dragging Finnr away to the north, but he can hear more beyond the woodline. Here is a mud map of the situation:

Code: Select all

                     Whoops & Yells - more Kobolds????
                         Woods
                                   ....
                        ... ...K.K..  ....
                   ..  .     K Fi K      ..  ...
                ...            K K        ...  .
                .                              ..
                ...                             .
                  ..         Clearing           ..
                   .                             ...
                  ..                     Ob        .
                  .                                 .
                  ..      Gr        Fe              ..
                   ..         Gu         Do          .
                     ..               Ba             .
                      . ....                 .      ..
                           ..             ...........
                            ...          ..
                              ............
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Eastern Townships, Québec

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby greyarea » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:03 am

He sleeps Finnr's kidnappers
User avatar
greyarea
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:07 am

greyarea wrote:He sleeps Finnr's kidnappers

Probably not realising what's going on, Oberon chases after them in his night shirt waving his magic sword above his head and bellowing like an angry bear!
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby jcftao » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 am

Finnr will struggle to get free from his captors!
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 906
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby RhinoDino1973 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm

"Foul Beasts! Fear the Goddess!"

Guntram will rush the monsters and swing away with his flail. However, that assumes I awoke which is a pretty big assumption.
User avatar
RhinoDino1973
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby Wouter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 am

Dolgrim will pull out his sling shot and sling a stone at the group of Kobolds, he will then grab Demon Bane and run after Guntram to help him save Finnr.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby merias » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Guntram and Oberon rush the group of Kobolds holding Finnr. Grimma watches the clearing, ready for more attackers. Dolgrim launches a sling stone into the mass of grappling Kobolds and manages to hit one square in-between the eyes. It slumps to the ground, lifeless.

Finnr struggles mightily, but is held fast and dragged along further into the woods amidst more catcalls! Just as Guntram and Oberon arrive at Finnr's side, weapons raised, Fenwick's sleep spell fires and the lot of five Kobolds slump to the ground. Finnr, too, appears to be asleep. You notice that the shouts have stopped to your north - from the woods you hear a lone squeal and the sound of feet on brush running quickly away from you.

Five Kobolds and Finnr are asleep. One Kobold is dead. All is quiet - Fenwick thinks he most likely slept a group of creatures in the woods.

Actions?

Mechanics:

Initiative: party 1 Kobolds 1 simultaneous
Grapple: Kobolds 3d6=14 Finnr 1d6=1 Finnr is held fast!
Dolgrim sling 1d20+3+2 [BHB+short range]=12+5=17 HIT of the six Kobolds and Finnr - who does he hit? 1d8=6 a Kobold! Damage 1d6=6 KILLED
[I was treating the sling shot at the Kobolds as firing into melee, since they were struggling with Finnr]
Sleep: 2d6+3=7+3=10 creatures - All five Kobolds now holding Finnr, Finnr himself, and some Kobolds in the woods!
[I usually rule that in mixed groups, sleep affects lowest HD creatures first, in this case the Kobolds and Finnr]
No point even checking morale - one out-of-sight Kobold turns tail and runs.
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Eastern Townships, Québec

Re: Return to the Elder Temple

Postby greyarea » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:35 am

Fenwick pumps his fist with a silent yes! He then pulls his knife and will dispatch whatever kobolds he can, rifling their pockets as he does so.
User avatar
greyarea
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to Grimmsgate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron