scruffy looking man with a bow, which appears to be all he owns, a
tall, bearded man in purple robes, a Dwarf who looks quite happy at
the moment, a plump man of faith who is lost in thought, and a trim,
gruff warrior who seems all business.

Lord Ingwold is an imposing man, and you get the feeling he has seen
his share of battle, given the way he carries himself. He is flanked
on his right by a small, sheepish man, slightly hunched and who looks
out-of-place, and to his left by a short, stocky woman, a warrior-type
if you had to guess, sun-burnt with hair tied back in a ponytail.

"Welcome, Men, Women and Dwarves alike. Thank you for coming to my
call for aid. I hope you enjoyed the feast,"
Lord Ingwold says,
pausing to eye each of you in turn.

He continues."I'll get right to the point. Grimmsgate is a frontier
village on the edge of my lands, and it has been in decline for
several years. The decline started about the time a Blackmarsh Ranger
disappeared in the foothills near the village, which raised a few
eyebrows, as you can imagine. We all hoped it was a one-time
tragedy. The job of a Ranger is not always safe, and these things do
happen - rarely, but they do. Unfortunately, things got worse, and now
a month doesn't go by where a trapper or local farmer is lost and
never seen again. The local population is scared, and there are barely
enough people left now to farm and keep trade up."

"My own Dragonbane company is far too busy keeping the nearby Gloom
river valley clear of monsters to assist in this effort, hence my
asking for aid. It will be worth your while, I assure you - if you
survive, of course. To that end, I can offer a small advance and the
assistance of a Grimma, an experienced guide."
Lord Ingwold pauses to
motion to the woman to his left. She nods in recognition.

"I'm sure you have questions - I'll answer what I can, but time is of
the essence. You should embark at first light. For now, enjoy your
night, the rooms and meals are already paid for. Please see Pappas
here on your way out for your advance."
Lord Ingwold motions to the
man on his right. He then sits back, taking a sip from his mug as he
does so.

greyarea

Re: The Journey Begins - Ethanfeld

Post by greyarea »

Fenwick the mage says, Three hundred sovereigns is quite a prize. It suggests great danger. Do you know any more of what has befallen Grimmsgate? Have there been rumors or talk of the cause of this? Has anyone else gone to look -- for there is a difference between an exploratory group and those that know what we face. You, Grimma, do you know this town or did your parents just like the sound of the name?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Fenwick the mage says, Three hundred sovereigns is quite a prize. It suggests great danger. Do you know any more of what has befallen Grimmsgate? Have there been rumors or talk of the cause of this? Has anyone else gone to look -- for there is a difference between an exploratory group and those that know what we face.
"We sent an envoy two months ago, a local man named Lumas, quite knowledgeable about the area and its people. He was merely there to gather information and report back, but he never returned. So we fear the worst, and know very little." Lord Ingwold says.
greyarea wrote:FenwickYou, Grimma, do you know this town or did your parents just like the sound of the name?[/dialog]
Grimma grins. "Ah, a court jester. Let us hope your dagger is as sharp as your wit. I know the area better than most, the name is ... just a name, same as yours."

thewegger

Post by thewegger »

Dolgrim the Dwarf pushes away from from the table and rocks back in his chair, and lights his pipe. The air fills with a pleasant apple-scented tobacco smoke. He's clearly enjoyed the meal but limited himself to only a couple of ales. "Thank you for the generousness and hospitality, yer lordship sir. Can we count on the villagers of the Grimmsgate Village for any help or shelter, lordship?"

Dolgrim nods towards Grimma doffs his cap and with a broad smile says, "Nice to meet you, Miss Grimma. Is it a longish journey ahead of ourselfs?"

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

thewegger wrote:"Thank you for the generousness and hospitality, yer lordship sir. Can we count on the villagers of the Grimmsgate Village for any help or shelter, lordship?"
"One would think they would be quite receptive to your arrival. However, I'm afraid I can't know for sure," Lord Ingwold says.
thewegger wrote:Dolgrim nods towards Grimma doffs his cap and with a broad smile says, "Nice to meet you, Miss Grimma. Is it a longish journey ahead of ourselfs?"
Grimma nods. "A bit shy of seven leagues, a good two day hike with our gear in tow."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The scruffy bowman known as Gerhard, eats his fill and then some. He looks like he stocking up in case this is the last decent meal he will see in a long time. Casual observers may see him sneak a bit of bread and roasted meat into his kit bag for later.

Drinking long from a mug of good wine, he moves over towards Pappas, Now, about that advance? This here bow is not what I'm used to. If you could see fit that I get some leather armor and a decent longbow, then I'd follow that red-haired wench over there to hell and back...

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Guntram the Fat visibly shakes his head, blinks his eyes, and brings himself to the present. He chuckles and states "The Goddess knows I could use a good long walk!" He taps his belly.
Guntram slowly and carefully grasps his mug and finishes the last of the ale. He states in his quiet, slow voice
"Well, friends, as I am sure friends we will be, I am ready for this adventure. Only the Goddess knows our fate and even then she can be fickle. I will retire and pray for safe travels and good fortune. Your Lordship, thank you for your generosity."

Guntram rises from the table, dusts off his belly, bows and leaves the table.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote: Drinking long from a mug of good wine, he moves over towards Pappas, Now, about that advance? This here bow is not what I'm used to. If you could see fit that I get some leather armor and a decent longbow, then I'd follow that red-haired wench over there to hell and back...
Pappas looks startled, although you see no reaction from Lord Ingwold. Grimma glares at you, perhaps you said that a bit too loudly.

"Ahem, well yes so we'll do this now then?" Pappas says as he pulls a leather pouch, a small scroll and quill from his tunic. He carefully counts out 30gp, slides it towards you and makes a note on his scroll.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

RhinoDino1973 wrote:Guntram rises from the table, dusts off his belly, bows and leaves the table.
Pappas, having just finished with Gerhard, calls out to Guntram. "Don't forget your advance my good man!"

Grimma stands "I've heard no objections, so I'll take it then, that we leave at first light? I'll be in the common room tomorrow morning."

30gp advance for everyone, assume standard equipment is available in-town for anyone to purchase.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fenwick thanks Pappas for the advance. Not quite enough time for me to scribe a scroll, Grimma. Not by a long shot. Do you happen to know where I might purchase one instead? I'd prefer to have more magic at my disposal, if I can.