Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Merias' White Box game

Moderator: merias

Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby merias » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:30 pm

After satisfying your hunger and packing your belongings, you set out. Another hot day is in store as the rising sun looms in the eastern, cloudless sky.

True to her word, the journey up the river valley is uneventful. The river is fairly broad and serene here, and the land mostly flat with the occasional grassy hill. A light breeze comes off the river. You pass some farms, even garnering a wave or two from those in the fields. Grimma explains the folk here are used to seeing armed patrols. You travel several hours and Grimma calls for a short rest, before you turn to the north.

Here the land is more desolate, broken by larger hills topped by rock outcroppings. Grimma treads carefully along a faint trail, until that disappears and you are truly in wild country.

Encounter 1d6=4

Grimma calls a halt as the sun is setting, near an outcropping with a small spring at its base. "This seems a good a spot as any to camp. We should be at Wessex Keep tomorrow if all goes well. I'll keep first watch," Grimma says as she lowers her pack.

Any special actions, specific watch order, etc?
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby greyarea » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm

You just don't want to get your sleep interrupted, kids Fenwick. I would prefer to take the final watch. I'm an early riser and it will work easily into my studies.
User avatar
greyarea
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby jcftao » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 pm

Gerhard keeps his bow handy with an arrow nocked.

I will stay up a bit with Grimma
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:34 am

Oberon will volunteer for any watch not already taken. "Yar, the watch no one wants; that's when the bad things happen. I will take care of them."
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby thewegger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:37 am

Dolgrim spreads out his bedroll. Wake me friends, when it's my turn to watch.
User avatar
thewegger
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby RhinoDino1973 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:28 am

Guntram finds a comfortable tree to lean against. He rummages for his trail rations and bedroll. Scratching his head, he asks
I am also an early riser. Wake me in the early morning hours before the sun is up and I will take a watch. I will pray to the Goddess for safe travels and good beer!
User avatar
RhinoDino1973
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby merias » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:58 pm

You opt not to build a fire (no one said they were, so I'll not assume) and instead eat cold rations, then settle in for the night.

Encounter d6=3
Whose watch? d6=2


Grimma wakes Oberon for his watch, which is at first uneventful. All is quiet, save for the sound of the spring running over the rock and an occasional loud snore from Guntram.

Surprise? d6=3

Another sound alerts Oberon that something is amiss, some rocks falling to the west, perhaps 40 yards distant, beyond a low hill.

Only Oberon is awake at this point, so at least for now only he can act. Here is a map that may make things clearer:

Code: Select all


                    Rocky hill
                  ....
            ... ..   .....
           ..            ..
            ..             .
     Noise?  .           ...
             ...     .....                   Rocky hill
               .......                      .. ........
                                           ..         ...
                                           .            .
                                           ..          ..
                                        Ob  ..        ..
         ^                                   .. Spring.
         |                                    .........
         N                                       Camp
                                         Gr
                                                      Gu
                                           Do     Ge

                                                Fe


                        Rocky hill
                            ....
                        .....   ....
                      ...           .
                      ....         ..
                         ..        .
                          ..      .
                           .......
                                ..
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 am

Oberon nods to himself, just as I suspected...

Readying morning star (Skull-breaker) and shield he slowly edges towards the rest of the team keeping his eyes peeled to the West. As soon as he reaches the first party member, a swift boot aims to wake him from his slumber coupled with a growly yelp that might sound a bit like a coyote or wolf. Hopefully.

"Up and eyes to the West. Something was drawn to the roar of your snoring. Knock arrows and find cover..."

Oberon stands still making himself a potential target but perhaps allowing others to move to cover without drawing too much attention.
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby merias » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:27 pm

[Oberon was nearest Grimma on the map, so she gets the boot as it
were...]


Grimma wakes with a start at the kick, standing quickly, sword in hand.

"We'll discuss your means of waking me later. What is it!?" she hisses.

As if in answer to Oberon's yelp, a loud baying is heard from the west
as four figures move into view. In the moonlight you can make out that
three are short humanoids and one is a large dog or wolf, the source
of the noise. They stop perhaps 40 feet from you. The dog/wolf growls
and you see movement as if weapons are being readied.

Actions?

[All of you are at least awake at this point, the humanoids are the
X's and the dog/wolf is the W]


Code: Select all
                    Rocky hill
                  ....
            ... ..   .....
           ..            ..
            ..             .
     Noise?  .           ...
             ...     .....                   Rocky hill
               .......                      .. ........
           X                               ..         ...
               X                           .            .
           X                               ..          ..
            W                               ..        ..
         ^                                   .. Spring.
         |                                    .........
         N                              Ob       Camp
                                         Gr
                                                      Gu
                                           Do     Ge

                                                Fe


                        Rocky hill
                            ....
                        .....   ....
                      ...           .
                      ....         ..
                         ..        .
                          ..      .
                           .......
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

Postby greyarea » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Fenwick hisses, Allow me to charm one. Might come in useful.

If they get close enough, he will.
User avatar
greyarea
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:17 am

Next

Return to Grimmsgate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron