Page 1 of 8

Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:30 pm
by merias
After satisfying your hunger and packing your belongings, you set out. Another hot day is in store as the rising sun looms in the eastern, cloudless sky.

True to her word, the journey up the river valley is uneventful. The river is fairly broad and serene here, and the land mostly flat with the occasional grassy hill. A light breeze comes off the river. You pass some farms, even garnering a wave or two from those in the fields. Grimma explains the folk here are used to seeing armed patrols. You travel several hours and Grimma calls for a short rest, before you turn to the north.

Here the land is more desolate, broken by larger hills topped by rock outcroppings. Grimma treads carefully along a faint trail, until that disappears and you are truly in wild country.

Encounter 1d6=4

Grimma calls a halt as the sun is setting, near an outcropping with a small spring at its base. "This seems a good a spot as any to camp. We should be at Wessex Keep tomorrow if all goes well. I'll keep first watch," Grimma says as she lowers her pack.

Any special actions, specific watch order, etc?

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:02 pm
by greyarea
You just don't want to get your sleep interrupted, kids Fenwick. I would prefer to take the final watch. I'm an early riser and it will work easily into my studies.

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 pm
by jcftao
Gerhard keeps his bow handy with an arrow nocked.

I will stay up a bit with Grimma

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:34 am
by Mike
Oberon will volunteer for any watch not already taken. "Yar, the watch no one wants; that's when the bad things happen. I will take care of them."

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:37 am
by thewegger
Dolgrim spreads out his bedroll. Wake me friends, when it's my turn to watch.

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:28 am
by RhinoDino1973
Guntram finds a comfortable tree to lean against. He rummages for his trail rations and bedroll. Scratching his head, he asks
I am also an early riser. Wake me in the early morning hours before the sun is up and I will take a watch. I will pray to the Goddess for safe travels and good beer!

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:58 pm
by merias
You opt not to build a fire (no one said they were, so I'll not assume) and instead eat cold rations, then settle in for the night.

Encounter d6=3
Whose watch? d6=2


Grimma wakes Oberon for his watch, which is at first uneventful. All is quiet, save for the sound of the spring running over the rock and an occasional loud snore from Guntram.

Surprise? d6=3

Another sound alerts Oberon that something is amiss, some rocks falling to the west, perhaps 40 yards distant, beyond a low hill.

Only Oberon is awake at this point, so at least for now only he can act. Here is a map that may make things clearer:

Code: Select all


                    Rocky hill
                  ....
            ... ..   .....
           ..            ..
            ..             .
     Noise?  .           ...
             ...     .....                   Rocky hill
               .......                      .. ........
                                           ..         ...
                                           .            .
                                           ..          ..
                                        Ob  ..        ..
         ^                                   .. Spring.
         |                                    .........
         N                                       Camp
                                         Gr
                                                      Gu
                                           Do     Ge

                                                Fe


                        Rocky hill
                            ....
                        .....   ....
                      ...           .
                      ....         ..
                         ..        .
                          ..      .
                           .......
                                ..

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 am
by Mike
Oberon nods to himself, just as I suspected...

Readying morning star (Skull-breaker) and shield he slowly edges towards the rest of the team keeping his eyes peeled to the West. As soon as he reaches the first party member, a swift boot aims to wake him from his slumber coupled with a growly yelp that might sound a bit like a coyote or wolf. Hopefully.

"Up and eyes to the West. Something was drawn to the roar of your snoring. Knock arrows and find cover..."

Oberon stands still making himself a potential target but perhaps allowing others to move to cover without drawing too much attention.

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:27 pm
by merias
[Oberon was nearest Grimma on the map, so she gets the boot as it
were...]


Grimma wakes with a start at the kick, standing quickly, sword in hand.

"We'll discuss your means of waking me later. What is it!?" she hisses.

As if in answer to Oberon's yelp, a loud baying is heard from the west
as four figures move into view. In the moonlight you can make out that
three are short humanoids and one is a large dog or wolf, the source
of the noise. They stop perhaps 40 feet from you. The dog/wolf growls
and you see movement as if weapons are being readied.

Actions?

[All of you are at least awake at this point, the humanoids are the
X's and the dog/wolf is the W]


Code: Select all
                    Rocky hill
                  ....
            ... ..   .....
           ..            ..
            ..             .
     Noise?  .           ...
             ...     .....                   Rocky hill
               .......                      .. ........
           X                               ..         ...
               X                           .            .
           X                               ..          ..
            W                               ..        ..
         ^                                   .. Spring.
         |                                    .........
         N                              Ob       Camp
                                         Gr
                                                      Gu
                                           Do     Ge

                                                Fe


                        Rocky hill
                            ....
                        .....   ....
                      ...           .
                      ....         ..
                         ..        .
                          ..      .
                           .......

Re: Onward to Wessex Keep and Grimmsgate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:18 pm
by greyarea
Fenwick hisses, Allow me to charm one. Might come in useful.

If they get close enough, he will.