The Ford

Merias' White Box game

Moderator: merias

Re: The Ford

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:06 am

Even though the little goblinette might be going for reinforcements, the big thing is Oberon's prime target..."Attack!"
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: The Ford

Postby jcftao » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:06 am

Gerhard throws his longbow aside, muttering a curse he draws his handaxe and moves towards the brute. Standing side by side with Oberon, he slashes with his handaxe.
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: The Ford

Postby merias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:15 am

The goblin-creature is nowhere to be seen! You all press the attack on the giant, except for Fenwick (ooc: I forgot about Bart, but I assume he is with Fenwick, standing guard).

Inititive: Party 1, Monster 5

The ogre/giant rages, swinging out with his huge fists. He strikes Dolgrim a solid blow to the chest, and you all hear bones crack - yet somehow Dolgrim remains standing.

Dolgrim manages a weak defensive blow, but it does not phaze the ogre.
Grimma connects with her sword, further wounding the creature. He roars!
Guntram [auto-pilot] swings his flail, to no avail.
Oberon gets in a lucky rear strike, the ogre staggers!
Gerhard sinks his handaxe into the ogre's chest, and finally the beast falls to the ground, lifeless.

Now that the battle is over, from the south you hear movement in the woods, Gerhard thinks it is near the ogre camp.

Status:

Ogre/Giant-type: Dead!
Goblinoid: In the woods, unwounded

Dolgrim is gravely wounded.

Actions?

Code: Select all
+----------+----------+----------+
|Grimma    |Full HP   |          |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Oberon    |7/7       |          |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Fenwick   |6/6       |<1>       |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Dolgrim   |1/7       |          |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Guntram   |6/6       |          |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Gerhard   |7/7       |          |
+----------+----------+----------+
|Bart      |4/4       |          |
+----------+----------+----------+


Mechanics (two of you are attacking from the rear as you surround the ogre, and get +2 to-hit, I'll choose randomly and say that is Grimma and Oberon):

Ogre/giant vs. who? 1d6=2 - Dolgrim: 1d20=13+4=17 HIT 1d6+2=4+2=6 damage

Grimma 1d20+4=17+4=21 HIT 1d6+1=2+1=3 damage
Dolgrim 1d20+2=8+2=10 MISS
Guntram 1d20=7 MISS
Oberon 1d20+4 13+4=17 HIT 1d6+1=5+1=6 damage
Gerhard 1d20=18 HIT 1d6=5 damage
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

Re: The Ford

Postby jcftao » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:20 am

Gerhard takes a quick look at Dolgrim to see if he will live. If he isn't at death's door, Gerhard will grab the longbow, knock an arrow and move off down the trail in search of the fleeing goblin.

He will keep a sharp eye out for goblin reinforcements and listen for more sounds to the south near the ogre camp.
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: The Ford

Postby Wouter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:03 am

Dolgrim looks up at Gerhard with a pained grin: "We got him good, didn't we?" Panting heavily, he retreats to the side of the deer track and plops down against a tree to drink some water from his waterskin. He will spring to action when needed, though.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Ford

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:49 am

Oberon gives a nod toward Dolgrim, and a grunt, before taking off after Gerhard.

OCC: as a dwarf should Dolgrim only take half damage from the ogre's mighty attack?
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: The Ford

Postby Wouter » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:00 pm

Mike wrote:OCC: as a dwarf should Dolgrim only take half damage from the ogre's mighty attack?

The Dwarves section in the rulebook (Swords & Wizardry: White Box, page 8) says:
Hard to Hit: Being small, Dwarves typically are
awarded some defensive bonus in combat because
they are hard to hit. (Perhaps -2 against men-folk and
-4 against giants.)

No damage reduction, so it appears...
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: The Ford

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:54 am

I'm looking at the third edition PDF (described by this forum as the latest) so not sure what's what but page 16 has this to say:

"Fighting Giants: Giants, ogres, and similar giant-type creatures such as trolls are not good at fighting dwarves, and only inflict half the normal damage against them."

I think it's the version of the dwarf rule from OD&D and the one I use; dunno why, seems somehow less complicated than the alternative. I'm sure the ref is on the case though.
User avatar
Mike
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 am

Re: The Ford

Postby merias » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Thank you for reminding me, yes we are using the latest 3rd edition rules which hew closer to the OD&D half-damage rule. Interestingly, in Chainmail Dwarves suffer half-damage from ogres. etc., but also cause half-damage (half "kills" in Chainmail, but that carried over to hit points in OD&D). That latter rule was lost in OD&D.

Adjusted status:

Code: Select all
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Grimma    |Full HP   |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Oberon    |7/7       |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Fenwick   |6/6       |<1>       |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Dolgrim   |4/7       |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Guntram   |6/6       |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Gerhard   |7/7       |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+
    |Bart      |4/4       |          |
    +----------+----------+----------+


I'll update later today if there are no more actions.
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

Re: The Ford

Postby merias » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Gerhard and Oberon quickly move south to the camp that Gerhard spied before. It is a clearing perhaps 10 yards wide with a smoldering fire in the center. Three logs lie near the fire. A large goblin-type creature with a fur cap lies dead next to one, two arrows in his neck. The goblin who fled is rummaging through a large sack, throwing skulls out from it and cursing.

Surprise? 1d6=4

He looks up as you approach, then draws his sword with one hand, dragging the sack as he backs away. He is about 20 yards from you, as far as you can be in the dense woods and still see each other.

Actions?
User avatar
merias
Site Admin
 
Posts: 633
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:37 am
Location: Southern Quebec

PreviousNext

Return to Grimmsgate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron