Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Wouter's White Box Game

Moderator: Wouter

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby RhinoDino1973 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 am

Van shouts, "Close that damned door or we're all doomed!"
OCC: Van will shut it if he's able. I think I'm out of position, though.
User avatar
RhinoDino1973
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby sexyhamster » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 am

Freda grunts. "That...is some kinda ugly," she hisses with an arrow knocked back, the fletchings tickling her cheek.

OOC: I assume Freda is in front due to the last arrangement of the marching order. If she is in front and she does have the chance before the door is closed (that seems to be the growing consensus), the halfling will let fly with her arrows. If 15m is the the length of the chamber, that is 45 feet and still within short range of her bow. So altogether that's a +6 to ht. Do I roll for Freda's actions or does the DM?
User avatar
sexyhamster
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:15 am

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby Wouter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 am

sexyhamster wrote:OOC: I assume Freda is in front due to the last arrangement of the marching order. If she is in front and she does have the chance before the door is closed (that seems to be the growing consensus), the halfling will let fly with her arrows. If 15m is the the length of the chamber, that is 45 feet and still within short range of her bow. So altogether that's a +6 to ht. Do I roll for Freda's actions or does the DM?

After everyone has stated his/her intentions for this round I'll handle the rolls and summarize the progression in a single post. I believe this will provide the least cluttered way of handling combat and creates the best "flow". Your bonuses are noted: depending on the initiative order, the actions of the other players, and the actions of the dracoharpies, I will rule on whether you have a clear shot and receive your full +6 (wow) bonus ;)
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby Magremore » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:54 pm

Scrambling back to his feet after barreling through the door, Dahl remains hunched as he spies the ugly creatures. If possible to back out of the room, he will do so (I'm assuming he fell forward through the door into the room; if he fell backward after banging into the door, then Dahl will merely stay out of the room). If he surmises that backing out of the room isn’t likely—perhaps the threshold is too crowded with the other adventurers—he will scamper for the north end of the room, hoping the turn there somehow reveals something useful.
User avatar
Magremore
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 pm
Location: New England, U.S.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby Wouter » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 pm

The dracoharpies extend the scaly black wings that sprout from their shoulder blades: it takes just a few strong wing beats for one of them to fly right up to Dahl, who is desperately trying to scramble back into the hallway as fast as he can. The sharp talons on the end of the long, powerful legs covered in black scales graze Dahl's upper arm and leave behind a nasty gash. The yellow eyes of the other dracoharpy flash maliciously as she flies up to the center of the room and subsequently launches a stream of highly acidic excreta at the doorway, hitting Dahl, Albin, and Freda, while Lisglen manages to jump away just in time. The stuff bites its way right through clothing and armor and burns the skin underneath: Dahl reaches the hallway more dead than alive...

Just before Dahl crawls back into the corridor and Albin pulls the door shut behind him, Freda manages to squeeze through a volley of arrows at the dracoharpy that is circling back to the wardrobe after her attack on Dahl. Only her first arrow hits, but it does so quite effectively: the dracoharpy screeches out in pain as she limps back onto the wardrobe.

After the door is closed, the enraged sounds of the dracoharpies can be heard echoing through the dungeon: a repeated loud, shrill shrieking that sets everyone's teeth on edge, quieting down after a couple of minutes while the adventurers catch their breath...

Combat mechanics
Initiative
  • Friends... 1d6 = 3
  • Foes... 1d6 = 4
Melee
  • Foes
    • Dracoharpy #1: claw attack… 1d20 = 20 => HIT for 1d6 = 1 damage on Dahl
    • Dracoharpy #2: acidic excreta attack…
      • Dahl: saving throw… 1d20 = 11 => FAIL for 2d4 = 5 damage
      • Lisglen: saving throw… 1d20 = 20 => SUCCESS
      • Albin: saving throw… 1d20 = 8 => FAIL for 2d4 = 4 damage
      • Freda: saving throw… 1d20 = 1 => FAIL for 2d4 = 3 damage
  • Friends
    • Freda: arrow fired from short bow… 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 = 19 => HIT for 1d6 - 1 = 5 damage on dracoharpy #1
      The bonus of +2 is thanks to the short range, the penalty of -2 is due to the closing of the door
    • Freda: arrow fired from short bow… 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 4 = 5 => MISS
      The bonus of +2 is thanks to the short range, the penalty of -4 is due to the further closing of the door

Status
Code: Select all
Friends                                 Foes

#  Name               HP  Status        #  Monster     Dmg.  Status
--------------------------------        ---------------------------
1  Dahl Kolla        1/7                1  Dracoharpy     5
2  Memphisto         6/6                2  Dracoharpy
3  Lisglen the Sage  6/6
4  Van Illundra      7/7
5  Holger            7/7
6  Freda Briarfoot   5/8
7  Albin             3/7
8  Finnur            7/7
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby jcftao » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Memphisto checks Dahl's wounds. "I think we'd better see if the inn has cold beer and warm food, no?"

OOC--If we press on, we may lose one or more of our companions.
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby RhinoDino1973 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Van states, "Hmmm, I agree with Memphisto, though death waits for us all. I'd prefer to keep that bastard waiting if I have anything to say about it!"
User avatar
RhinoDino1973
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby Magremore » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:43 am

“Mmm, beer. A shame to waste Freda’s good shot. But I can do no good in this condition. Maybe I can trade this damned crystal for a couple of nets.”
User avatar
Magremore
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 pm
Location: New England, U.S.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby kwll » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:35 pm

"Let's flee this place of evil. We will discuss later." propose Lisglen while leading the way out, his weapon still in hand.
Lisglen lvl 2 Human Cleric HP 7/10 XP 2860/3000
kwll
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

Postby jcftao » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:19 pm

Memphisto will bind Dahl's wounds if possible before the party moves on.

"Those of you who are uninjured, bind the wounded. Any aid we give now, may help us on our journey out of this place."
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Call of the Xul

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron