Page 9 of 10

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:37 am
by RhinoDino1973
Van shouts, "Close that damned door or we're all doomed!"
OCC: Van will shut it if he's able. I think I'm out of position, though.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 am
by sexyhamster
Freda grunts. "That...is some kinda ugly," she hisses with an arrow knocked back, the fletchings tickling her cheek.

OOC: I assume Freda is in front due to the last arrangement of the marching order. If she is in front and she does have the chance before the door is closed (that seems to be the growing consensus), the halfling will let fly with her arrows. If 15m is the the length of the chamber, that is 45 feet and still within short range of her bow. So altogether that's a +6 to ht. Do I roll for Freda's actions or does the DM?

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:04 am
by Wouter
sexyhamster wrote:OOC: I assume Freda is in front due to the last arrangement of the marching order. If she is in front and she does have the chance before the door is closed (that seems to be the growing consensus), the halfling will let fly with her arrows. If 15m is the the length of the chamber, that is 45 feet and still within short range of her bow. So altogether that's a +6 to ht. Do I roll for Freda's actions or does the DM?

After everyone has stated his/her intentions for this round I'll handle the rolls and summarize the progression in a single post. I believe this will provide the least cluttered way of handling combat and creates the best "flow". Your bonuses are noted: depending on the initiative order, the actions of the other players, and the actions of the dracoharpies, I will rule on whether you have a clear shot and receive your full +6 (wow) bonus ;)

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:54 pm
by Magremore
Scrambling back to his feet after barreling through the door, Dahl remains hunched as he spies the ugly creatures. If possible to back out of the room, he will do so (I'm assuming he fell forward through the door into the room; if he fell backward after banging into the door, then Dahl will merely stay out of the room). If he surmises that backing out of the room isn’t likely—perhaps the threshold is too crowded with the other adventurers—he will scamper for the north end of the room, hoping the turn there somehow reveals something useful.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:55 pm
by Wouter
The dracoharpies extend the scaly black wings that sprout from their shoulder blades: it takes just a few strong wing beats for one of them to fly right up to Dahl, who is desperately trying to scramble back into the hallway as fast as he can. The sharp talons on the end of the long, powerful legs covered in black scales graze Dahl's upper arm and leave behind a nasty gash. The yellow eyes of the other dracoharpy flash maliciously as she flies up to the center of the room and subsequently launches a stream of highly acidic excreta at the doorway, hitting Dahl, Albin, and Freda, while Lisglen manages to jump away just in time. The stuff bites its way right through clothing and armor and burns the skin underneath: Dahl reaches the hallway more dead than alive...

Just before Dahl crawls back into the corridor and Albin pulls the door shut behind him, Freda manages to squeeze through a volley of arrows at the dracoharpy that is circling back to the wardrobe after her attack on Dahl. Only her first arrow hits, but it does so quite effectively: the dracoharpy screeches out in pain as she limps back onto the wardrobe.

After the door is closed, the enraged sounds of the dracoharpies can be heard echoing through the dungeon: a repeated loud, shrill shrieking that sets everyone's teeth on edge, quieting down after a couple of minutes while the adventurers catch their breath...

Combat mechanics
Initiative
  • Friends... 1d6 = 3
  • Foes... 1d6 = 4
Melee
  • Foes
    • Dracoharpy #1: claw attack… 1d20 = 20 => HIT for 1d6 = 1 damage on Dahl
    • Dracoharpy #2: acidic excreta attack…
      • Dahl: saving throw… 1d20 = 11 => FAIL for 2d4 = 5 damage
      • Lisglen: saving throw… 1d20 = 20 => SUCCESS
      • Albin: saving throw… 1d20 = 8 => FAIL for 2d4 = 4 damage
      • Freda: saving throw… 1d20 = 1 => FAIL for 2d4 = 3 damage
  • Friends
    • Freda: arrow fired from short bow… 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 2 = 19 => HIT for 1d6 - 1 = 5 damage on dracoharpy #1
      The bonus of +2 is thanks to the short range, the penalty of -2 is due to the closing of the door
    • Freda: arrow fired from short bow… 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 4 = 5 => MISS
      The bonus of +2 is thanks to the short range, the penalty of -4 is due to the further closing of the door

Status
Code: Select all
Friends                                 Foes

#  Name               HP  Status        #  Monster     Dmg.  Status
--------------------------------        ---------------------------
1  Dahl Kolla        1/7                1  Dracoharpy     5
2  Memphisto         6/6                2  Dracoharpy
3  Lisglen the Sage  6/6
4  Van Illundra      7/7
5  Holger            7/7
6  Freda Briarfoot   5/8
7  Albin             3/7
8  Finnur            7/7

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:07 pm
by jcftao
Memphisto checks Dahl's wounds. "I think we'd better see if the inn has cold beer and warm food, no?"

OOC--If we press on, we may lose one or more of our companions.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 pm
by RhinoDino1973
Van states, "Hmmm, I agree with Memphisto, though death waits for us all. I'd prefer to keep that bastard waiting if I have anything to say about it!"

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:43 am
by Magremore
“Mmm, beer. A shame to waste Freda’s good shot. But I can do no good in this condition. Maybe I can trade this damned crystal for a couple of nets.”

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:35 pm
by kwll
"Let's flee this place of evil. We will discuss later." propose Lisglen while leading the way out, his weapon still in hand.

Re: Chapter 5: Delving deeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:19 pm
by jcftao
Memphisto will bind Dahl's wounds if possible before the party moves on.

"Those of you who are uninjured, bind the wounded. Any aid we give now, may help us on our journey out of this place."