Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Wouter's White Box Game

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Wouter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Holger contemplates Memphisto's plan and Lisglen's suggestion and starts nodding enthusiastically: "Yes. I believe this will work. So, Lisglen and I will taunt the creatures and lure them out of the room, pulling the door shut behind them with the rope. Beforehand we can maybe prepare a pool of oil further down the western hallway in which we can drop a burning torch once we pass it during our flight: the fire and smoke will surely slow the pursuit of the dracoharpies so that we can safely join the others at their lair from the southern entrance, barricading all doors securely."

His cheeks glow red with excitement and he seems eager to get going. He looks at the others: "What do you say...?"
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby jcftao » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:26 am

Memphisto smiles, "Let's do this!"

"We shall await your signal and then open the other door as you approach. Should we affix some rope along the side of the pit trap to make crossing easier?"
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Wouter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:57 am

"We should be able to jump over it, it's only 3 m wide... Carefully passing it will cost us precious time." Holger replies confidently.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Magremore » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:36 am

“Yes, let’s give it a go! Van and I can stand ready at this door. When the time comes, he can be the first to try it and if it doesn’t open, I’ll try. Perhaps, Freda can stay here and hold a torch for us, while Albin (and Memphisto?) stand at the eastern end of the trapped corridor, so that as soon as Holger and Lisglen are spotted, Van and I can be alerted.”
User avatar
Magremore
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 pm
Location: New England, U.S.

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby kwll » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:48 am

Lisglen nods: "Alright, let's do it."

[OOC: Shouldn't Lisglen rest first to pray before he can cast 'Protection from Evil'?]
Lisglen lvl 2 Human Cleric HP 7/10 XP 2860/3000
kwll
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Wouter » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:31 pm

Holger lights one of Freda's torches and he and Lisglen make their way back to the four way, head north and follow the hallway to the mosaics room, shielding their eyes from the magical tesserae. Holger takes a pint of oil from Lisglen and pours it in the middle of the room. They leave the room on the east side and arrive at the door leading to the room with the dracoharpies. Holger hands the torch over to Lisglen and attaches one end of his rope to the door handle, coiling up the rest and clutching the other end so that it will easily unreel.

Meanwhile, Dahl and Van stand close to the other door, intently listening and waiting for the signal from Albin and Memphisto to enter the room, who are peering down the hall leading to the four way waiting for Holger and Lisglen to show.

Holger and Lisglen brace themselves against the door and Holger whispers: "Ready? On the count of three... One... Two... Three!"

The door bursts open with a loud bang and the dracoharpies, sitting on top of the wardrobe, immediately awake from their deep slumber. Caught off guard, they unfold their scaly black wings and stare witheringly at the intruders.

Please declare your actions for the surprise combat round…

Mechanics
  • Lisglen: open door... 1d6 = 6 => FAIL
  • Holger: open door... 1d6 - 1 = 1 => SUCCESS

Status
Code: Select all
Friends                                Foes

#  Name               HP    Status     #  Monster     Dmg.  Status
----------------------------------     ---------------------------
1  Lisglen the Sage   9/10             1  Dracoharpy
2  Holger             7/ 7             2  Dracoharpy

kwll wrote:Lisglen[OOC: Shouldn't Lisglen rest first to pray before he can cast 'Protection from Evil'?]

I'm afraid so. Lisglen can pray to the Lord of Light only once a day for a spell.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby jcftao » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Memphisto will keep a sharp lookout for Holger and Lisglen to make their way down the corridor.
If either man is in trouble, Memphisto will attempt to cast sleep upon the dracoharpies. He will be careful not to catch his companions in sleep spell's area of effect.
User avatar
jcftao
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:52 am

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Magremore » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Dahl cups his hand and listens at the door in case he can hear any of what is happening on the other side. In the event that something goes terribly wrong right away, he and Van may need to try the door earlier. But for now he remains patiently awaiting the signal from Albin and Memphisto.
User avatar
Magremore
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:35 pm
Location: New England, U.S.

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby kwll » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:20 pm

Lisglen was about to rest and pray for the True Light to inspire him the blessing of Protection from Evil, but seeing as his companions seem in a hurry to face the said evil he resolves to do without it. When facing the dracoharpies, he is once again shocked by their ugliness and wickedness. He immediately panics, emits an out of character strident scream and starts to pray in his now red and sweaty head.
Lisglen lvl 2 Human Cleric HP 7/10 XP 2860/3000
kwll
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 10:57 am

Re: Chapter 7: Vermin-infested halls

Postby Wouter » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Holger picks up some loose rocks and flings them at the dracoharpies, shouting: "Catch us if you can, you foul hellspawn!" One of the dracoharpies is fiercly agitated by Holger’s taunt: her loud shriek can be heard even by Albin and Memphisto as she spreads her wings and flies up to the corridor to chase Holger and Lisglen... The fighter pulls Lisglen’s arm as he starts backing up through the corridor: "Run for your life, holy man!"

Holger and Lisglen run back to the mosaics room as fast as they can. The fighter looks over his shoulder and sees the dracoharpy chasing them: he pulls on the rope with all his might to close the door behind them. They flee past the pool of oil and rush into the northern hallway as the dracoharpy is just about to enter the mosaics room.

Meanwhile, the other dracoharpy has dropped down from the wardrobe but does not go into pursuit, knowing that with the both of them gone their treasure will remain unguarded. As the door slams shut, she sits quietly and waits...

Please declare your actions for the next combat round…

Mechanics
  • Dracoharpy #1: reaction... 2d6 = 4 => NEGATIVE
  • Dracoharpy #2: reaction... 2d6 = 7 => UNCERTAIN

Status
Code: Select all
Friends                                Foes

#  Name               HP    Status     #  Monster     Dmg.  Status
----------------------------------     -------------------------------
1  Lisglen the Sage   9/10             1  Dracoharpy        In pursuit
2  Holger             7/ 7
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Call of the Xul

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron