Chapter 9: A well-deserved rest

Wouter's White Box Game
Wouter

Chapter 9: A well-deserved rest

Post by Wouter »

On your last mission, you acquired:
  • Keg of halfling pipeweed
  • Leather pouch containing 8 gems (10 gp each)
  • Black bladed, ominous looking sword
  • Passage from a book
  • Scroll bearing the legend "FEAR NOT THE TIGER"
  • Scroll with the cleric spell "Raise Dead"

Furthermore, you gained some Experience Points to reach the following total XP counts:

• Dahl Kolla: 800 + 1,212 = 2,730 XP => reached second level, HP maximum is now at 8
  • Memphisto: 1,590 + 1,270 = 2,860 XP => reached second level, HP maximum is now at 7
  • Lisglen the Sage: 1,590 + 1,270 = 2,860 XP
  • Van Illundra: 1,291 + 1,212 = 2,503 XP => reached second level, HP maximum is now at 9
  • Holger: 2,718 + 1,212 = 3,930 XP
  • Balthus: 0 + 187 = 187 XP

Note I’ve already taken into account everyone’s XP bonus. Congratulations to Magremore, jcftao and RhinoDino1973 for Dahl, Memphisto, and Van reaching second level!

Wouter

Re: Chapter 9: A well-deserved rest

Post by Wouter »

The adventurers sleep far into the day and around the time when lunch is already being served they come downstairs into the common room of the Hunter's Moon. They are seated at a large table and Giles, still looking a bit piqued, comes up to them: "Can I get you night owls anything?"

Please state your intentions concerning the restocking on resources, weaponry, and the like. Let me know if you wish to visit anyone in particular. Remember that Finnur is staying at the Hunter's Moon, guarding your valuables. Right now that is one sapphire (1,000 gp), 8 gems (10 gp each), 90 gp, and 1,000 sp. You may also stash any of the found items which you do not intend to use anytime soon with him.

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Van would like to purchase provisions (5 days worth), a lantern, and 4 flasks of oil.

Also, what should Van's hp be? At 1st he is at 9hp, what would his 2nd level max be?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

RhinoDino1973 wrote:Van would like to purchase provisions (5 days worth), a lantern, and 4 flasks of oil.
Great, all this is readily available and comes down to 23 gp in total.
RhinoDino1973 wrote:Also, what should Van's hp be? At 1st he is at 9hp, what would his 2nd level max be?
Van's HP was 7 at level 1 (1+1 HD) and at level 2 I rolled 2d6 = 9 (2 HD), so I'm afraid that's it!

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Van's HP was 7 at level 1 (1+1 HD) and at level 2 I rolled 2d6 = 9 (2 HD), so I'm afraid that's it!
OOC: Oh, I forgot this is White Box. My bad. Is my con bonus included?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

RhinoDino1973 wrote:
OOC: Oh, I forgot this is White Box. My bad. Is my con bonus included?
Van has a CON of 14. In White Box, a CON of 15 or more gets you a +1 on your HP. So technically speaking, yes: your CON bonus is included :P

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

Van approaches the group and coughs uncomfortably. He says, while looking down at this boots, "Gents, I find myself in need of some equipment and I seem to be short some coin. How about we split our shares or perhaps I can open a line of credit?"

RhinoDino1973

Post by RhinoDino1973 »

OOC:
Van has a CON of 14. In White Box, a CON of 15 or more gets you a +1 on your HP. So technically speaking, yes: your CON bonus is included :P
Doh! Thanks for your patience . . .

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Memphisto looks kindly towards Van, "Certainly, we shall divide our treasure. If you find yourself lacking for coin, I will lend you what you need if I can. But first, let us all get a good night's rest...and tomorrow, I will need a good long soak in a hot bath and then copious amounts of bacon and beer!"

Memphisto will need to spend some time examining the black blade, casting detect magic upon it and looking for any sign of curses. If he can find another wizard in town, he will take the weapon to them for inspection.

Also, he would like to start getting some scrolls. What would it take to create a first level scroll? Perhaps, if he cannot do this himself, he would like to hire a wizard to do this for him.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

jcftao wrote:Memphisto will need to spend some time examining the black blade, casting detect magic upon it and looking for any sign of curses. If he can find another wizard in town, he will take the weapon to them for inspection.
There is no wizard in town: the only people that might be interested in the weapon would be Hajdar Dvorak, the diligent dwarven blacksmith, or Randoul Behner, the swindling merchant. For now, Memphisto will have to do the research himself: casting Detect Magic reveals that the sword is indeed magically cursed, and anyone wielding the weapon is likely to be penalized in one way or another...
jcftao wrote:Also, he would like to start getting some scrolls. What would it take to create a first level scroll? Perhaps, if he cannot do this himself, he would like to hire a wizard to do this for him.
He certainly can! However, it's an expensive and time consuming endeavor: the materials needed to write a scroll will cost 100 gp and it will take a week's work per spell level. Memphisto can only write scrolls for spells that are known to him, so that would be all level 1 and level 2 spells.