Chapter 2: Into the Dungeon

Wouter's White Box Game
Magremore

Re: Chapter 2: Into the Dungeon

Post by Magremore »

Does Dahl (or Albin) get any sense of whether the uneasy feeling seems like it will pass (having been exposed to it for the first time, perhaps he might sense whether he has “conquered” it), or else if he needs to stop looking into the room for the effect to end? In any event...

Dahl, a look of recognition on his face, turns to check on Memphisto, while in the same instant he can’t help but blurt out in an excited hush, “The mosaics that Giles mentioned! In his story about that adventurer. Harvard or whatever. That guy went mad and killed himself!”
Last edited by Magremore on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Magremore wrote:Does Dahl (or Albin) get any sense of whether the uneasy feeling seems like it will pass (having been exposed to it for the first time, perhaps he might sense whether he has “conquered” it), or else if he needs to stop looking into the room for the effect to end?
Both Dahl and Albin are hardly truly affected by what they see in the room: it's a natural feeling of uneasiness caused by a disturbing sight. Quite different from what Memphisto is experiencing.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Does Memphisto think he has been permanently affected by the strange patterns?

Also, did the floor have symbols as well?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

jcftao wrote:Does Memphisto think he has been permanently affected by the strange patterns?

Also, did the floor have symbols as well?
Nope, there seems to be no real harm done: Memphisto, having turned away from the room, is catching his breath and, having made the saving throw, he'll be ok. For the brief moment he peered into the room, there was no time to take a closer look at the floor: the mosaics on the wall immediately struck him.

Magremore

Post by Magremore »

Dahl looks up at the ceiling and down around the surface of the floor before pushing further into the room.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

"Careful, Dahl! There is a great power in this room."

Magremore

Post by Magremore »

“Hmm. I wonder if its effects are more potent against those of the magic-y persuasion.”

kwll

Post by kwll »

"Will you be alright?" asks Lisglen to his companion, worried. If he proves to recover, the cleric will have a look at the room as well, curious of what might have caused these reactions. "Have any of you seen something similar before?"
Lisglen lvl 2 Human Cleric HP 7/10 XP 2860/3000

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Memphisto rubs his eyes, trying to lessen the pain.

"I think I'll be okay, Lisglen. Thanks. I have seen and heard of magical patterns that can cause similar effects, but nothing ever like this. I would like to know more about these symbols. They seem to have affected me in greater magnitude than the rest of you. Undoubtedly due to my magical training."

"Dahl, don't look at the walls, but could you take a shielded glance at the floor? If the floor is unmarked, I may be able to pass through this room by focusing on it instead of the walls."

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Dahl carefully shuffles back into the room, his hands held before his eyes so that he cannot see the walls. Nothing peculiar strikes him about the ceiling: the floor however does look somewhat different to the floors they saw in the corridors.

Flagstones cover the floor, just like in the passageways they walked through before, but their color appears to be slightly different: they're a bit lighter. Also, there seems to be less accumulation of dirt in between them. Dahl concludes that these flagstones were placed here much more recently than the ones you passed earlier.

Other than that, the floor and ceiling seem perfectly harmless.

Lisglen, reassured by Dahl's first findings and having made sure Memphisto is alright, inspects the walls a bit better as the mosaics don't seem to affect him. Some of the patterns seem purely random, while other sections are more geometrically arranged. One part of the mosaics on the south wall strikes him in particular: it depicts some kind of worshipping ritual where several men bow down and raise their arms to a creature that stands in their midst. The size and irregular shape of the tesserae don't allow for any further detail to be distinguished.