Chapter 1

Tamerlaine's White Box Game
Tamerlaine

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Tamerlaine »

Cauley shrugs. "I don't know really. No one wants Black Bowb around, save for Mund who runs the Vulgar Goat. If I had to guess...there's Lastel, the innkeeper. Used to be some sort of hardass fighter back in his day. He's a big guy, got a huge wicked axe, a named axe hanging on the wall behind the bar. Not afeared of no one but he's got a wife and daughter to look after. The inn, it's sort of neutral ground. Black Bob and his men stay clear of it as long as Lastel stays clear of his business. Then there's the merchant. He don't care fer Bowb none as his men raid his shipments."

The Cauley looks at his captors and lowers his voice. "I know what Bowb's looking fer. I've seen it. There's a ruin, a pile of old stones on a forest hill two days north of 'ere. I slept there one night. This was a ways back before I joined with Bowb's crew. One night was all it took fer me. There's this hole in the ground, stone steps dropping off into this darkness. Dark as pitch it were. Gave me a right bad set o' the shivers. I didn't tell 'im about it thinking I'd have to lead him to it and have to be one o' the unlucky bastards to go down them bloody steps."

"There's treasure there, the witch says it. I'll take you there, go down with you, my sword with yours. You get the spoils, then I walk away. Give me a tiny share, or none at all. But you'll let me go."

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Yilmaz slowly nods and stares into the void as he hears Cauley's words. He rummages under his robes and produces an old, tattered map: "It looks like our new friend can be of use after all: I've been wondering where to find the entrance to the underground lair this map lays out..."

His expression brightens and he continues in a cheerful voice: "I guess the inn is the place to go to avoid trouble with Black Bowb for now and we can freely discuss our plans. What do you say we still go and try that hotpot?"

Eris

Post by Eris »

"Sounds like a plan to me." Loren says, "But what about Cawley here, how do we deal with him?"

OOC: Loren leans toward signing Cawley on and trusting him to stay untied.
Brother Loren Cleric-1 XP: 1273/1500
HP: 6/6 AC: 6 Saving Throw: 15 (+2 poison/paralysis)
HD: 1+1
XP Bonus: 0
Weapons: Mace (1d6) & Shield (+1)
Gold: 10
Spells: NA

sexyhamster

Post by sexyhamster »

Gormlaith scratches her head, her hard eyes going from Loren, to Yilmaz and finally to Cauley. "Well, as things stand, I reckon we need Cauley here just to lead us to the ruins. Otherwise we're just traipsing all over Grimnir's Creation looking for it and liable to run into to Black Bowb and his gang doing so. We could use another sword hand, that's for sure. Though I'd not have his sword in my back.

The gods must be testing me. The skalds say even the great Grimnir shows mercy even to cowards and blackguards when it suits him. So it will suit me also. Let him come and maybe one day Cauley here will profit by my example and become a real man worthy of a seat at Grimnir's Table."

Then she haunches down behind Cauley and cuts his hands free, leaning in close. "And if I so much as sense a whiff of treason, I'll gut you like a fish."

"C'mon, then! Let's not tarry. I'm thirsty and Yilmaz wants a hotpot!"

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

Freed of his bonds, Cauley takes the time to divest himself of his armor. It didn't fit right and he was told to wear in part of put fear into travelers. Then he rifles through the bodies of his two former colleagues, shoving what few coppers they had into his tunic. Lastly he takes up a bow and quiver at the small camp by the road, shouldering a much abused round wooden shield before joining the group.

If anyone cares, the bodies leave:
2 x polearms, 1 sword, 1 axe, 1 dagger. These are the only items worth anything, but barely. The armor is nothing but worn bits and pieces culled together.

Actions?

Brother Loren AC 6 [13] HP 6/6
Gormlaith AC 7 [12] HP 8/3
Yilmaz AC 9 [10] HP 6/6
~~ Asil AC 9 [10] HP 6/6
~~ Cauley AC 7 [12] HP 6/6

Eris

Post by Eris »

Loren will insist on moving the dead men to the wood near the road and, at least, covering them with leaves if not putting them under the ground. He will say a short prayer over them, so they might find their way to the Light of Sol.

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

After the bodies are dealt with, the party moves on up the road until at last they arrive at the King's Rest. A sturdy two-story structure, the exterior of the inn is made of heavy fieldstone and sports a cedar shingled roof. In front is a small courtyard and a small stable is set to one side, perpendicular to the inn. At the sound of your approach, a small lad comes out of the stable and eyes you warily but speaks with respect as he nods toward the mule.

"Finch's me name, sire. Can I take your mule? It's a silver a day, oats and a brushing included."

When you reach the inn and open the thick oak door, you step into a central hall containing a large stone hearth and mantle, a pair of long tables with bench seats, four round tables and chairs, and a finely crafted bar with a total of six stools. A large oval chandelier crafted of antler hangs suspended above the two long tables in the center of the room. The chandelier holds a dozen thick candles which flicker and dance in the drafty room. The bar extends ¾ of the length of the wall, screening the entranceway to the kitchen as well as the trap door leading to the basement. Several casks of ale and mead are housed beneath the 2 feet width of the polished surface, and a four-feet wide by four-feet high wine rack stands against the rear wall. A wide stairway faces the bar on the opposite side of the room leading to the upstairs portion of the building. There are a handful of customers seated about and the place goes quiet at your appearance, their eyes silently gauging each of you.

Please refer to the map of the inn in the Maps sub-forum. I changed it to better suit the locale.

Actions?

Brother Loren AC 6 [13] HP 6/6
Gormlaith AC 7 [12] HP 8/3
Yilmaz AC 9 [10] HP 6/6
~~ Asil AC 9 [10] HP 6/6
~~ Cauley AC 7 [12] HP 6/6

sexyhamster

Post by sexyhamster »

Gormlaith enters the inn with a purposeful stride, giving everyone looking at her a hard stare of her own. She steps over to a trestle by the fire and tosses her giant blade onto its surface with a loud crash. "Innkeeper!" she bellows with a haughty grin as she plops down at the trestle, "ale for me and my companions. A hotpot for the Old Man, one more for me and...Loren, what will ye have brother?"

Eris

Post by Eris »

Loren steps inside and then to the right. He pauses while his eyes adjust to the lighting and he gets a chance to observe the room.
"Innkeeper!"Gormlaith bellows with a haughty grin as she plops down at the trestle, "ale for me and my companions. A hotpot for the Old Man, one more for me and...Loren, what will ye have brother?"
"An ale and a hotpot for me as well Gormlaith." Loren says as he looks around at the other folk in the room.

Smiling Loren says to the room at large while he stays back near the entrance, "My name is Brother Loren Acolyte of Sol the Great Father of Light. Sol's blessings upon you all."

Loren isn't expecting trouble here, but he's staying alert, just in case. Only if he can gauge the temperature of the room to be peaceful will he relax and walk forward.

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Yilmaz is happy to see Finch taking care of his mule: he trusts Freulox is in good hands. Upon entering the King's Rest he takes off his hat, bows slightly at the other customers and greets them with a small hand gesture: "Good evening, all. I am known as Yilmaz the Old, and this is Asil, my syce.". Asil, standing next to him, makes a small bow but keeps quiet. Yilmaz and Asil then find a place to sit down and wait for their meal.