Chapter 1

Tamerlaine's White Box Game
Tamerlaine

Re: Chapter 1

Post by Tamerlaine »

A large man with a stained apron approaches your table and sets down tankards of ale. An older man gone to fat but one can still see the muscled frame he had most of his life. He's bald with thick dark brows and a walrus mustache. The man suddenly gives Cauley a hard stare yet the former bandit slaps a few coppers on the table and orders a beer. The man grunts and turns to the party.

"Welcome to the King's Rest. I'm Lastel and yonder in the kitchen is my wife Tana and my daughter Laeran. The other girl is Jocilin. Here are you're drinks and Tana is making yer hotpots. Will ye be staying the night?"

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Yilmaz slowly nods: "Well met, Lastel, and thank you for your hospitality. We would indeed like to stay for the night, if there is still room." He takes a sip form his drink, only then noticing how thirsty he is from the day on the road.

Eris

Post by Eris »

Brother Loren slowly moves over to the table at which Yilmaz is seated and sits down beside him, "What do you charge for daily room and board good innkeeper?"

Loren is painfully aware that his purse is pretty light. Acolytes of the Light need to be a frugal lot as they are supposed to give away most of what ever they earn as alms to the poor and down trodden.
Brother Loren Cleric-1 XP: 1273/1500
HP: 6/6 AC: 6 Saving Throw: 15 (+2 poison/paralysis)
HD: 1+1
XP Bonus: 0
Weapons: Mace (1d6) & Shield (+1)
Gold: 10
Spells: NA

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

Lastel nods his rather large head. "Aye, there's lodgings available still. I've got two common rooms, each with four beds. I charge by the bed, so that's a gold a day. Includes a bath and breakfast fer each. Private rooms are more, but none are available now."

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

"Very well," Yilmaz says, "I suppose we will share one common room, then." he will pay up front, if all agree to sharing a common room.

sexyhamster

Post by sexyhamster »

"By Grimnir's Hoary Breath!" exclaims Gormlaith with typical Northern brashness while flashing Cauley a dirty look. "We go from one form of banditry to another! Here's your gold, then." The barbarian reaches into the cut of her leather above her bosom and retrieves a pair of gold coins and slaps them down onto the table with the palm of her hand. "That's a bed for me and the holy man here. For that amount, my bed better feel like I'm clasped within a valkrjal's soft and warm embrace. As for that cur yonder, Cauley can sleep on the floor."

Without waiting for Loren's thanks nor wishing to hear one, Gormlaith returns to her ale, roaring for another one after gulping down her first.

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

Lastel's face draws tight at the barbarian woman's outburst yet quietly picks up the coins. "Yer hotpots will be coming along shortly," he grumbles before turning away. At that moment the door opens and a tall slender man in farmer's garb with gangly limbs and a large hook nose enters the inn. Thin lips top a formless chin and a pair of rheumy eyes under beetling brows sweep the inn's confines as he sidles up to the counter. The man sees Cauley and the two stare at each other for a long moment.

"That there is Gedde," Cauley whispers. "Bowb's eyes and ears in the village. Now that he's seen me, I reckon word'll get get to Black Bowb. My days are measured fer sure. Yours too."

Eris

Post by Eris »

"Thank you Gormlaith. I will buy your next ale." Brother Loren says and digs a coin from his pouch,"Thank you, also, Lastel we do appreciate your hospitality. Oh and is there a Church of Sol in this good village?"

Loren nods and says quietly, "We'll be on our guard."

Tamerlaine

Post by Tamerlaine »

"Thank you Gormlaith. Oh and is there a Church of Sol in this good village?"

Once Loren asks, there is a marked change within the inn. There's a long uncomfortable silence as the customers stare into their cups. Even Cauley does the same. Only Gedde seems not to care, a smirk on his face as he sips his beer.

After a pause, Cauley finds his tongue and looks at Loren. "Mind you, this was before I joined Bowb's gang. The way I heard it, there was a chapel here in Wodbury. A chapel dedicated to Sol. The priest here, Brother Abathis, he had a mouth on him. Always preaching against Bowb and trying to rouse the countryside to resist him. Well, Bowb had enough of the brother's talk and had some men visit him. Abathis wouldn't budge and so the men made a spectacle of his death right outside the chapel. Then they desecrated the place and tried to burn it to the ground."

Eris

Post by Eris »

Tamerlaine wrote:"Thank you Gormlaith. Oh and is there a Church of Sol in this good village?"

After a pause, Cauley finds his tongue and looks at Loren. "Mind you, this was before I joined Bowb's gang. The way I heard it, there was a chapel here in Wodbury. A chapel dedicated to Sol. The priest here, Brother Abathis, he had a mouth on him. Always preaching against Bowb and trying to rouse the countryside to resist him. Well, Bowb had enough of the brother's talk and had some men visit him. Abathis wouldn't budge and so the men made a spectacle of his death right outside the chapel. Then they desecrated the place and tried to burn it to the ground."
Loren draws a breathe, and sits quietly for a few moments then says quietly, "Where is Brother Abathis buried and where are the remains of the chapel?"

The only sign that Loren isn't anything but calm and collected is the whiteness of his knuckles as he grips the edge of the table.