Chapter 1

Tamerlaine's White Box Game

Moderator: Tamerlaine

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Wouter » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Yilmaz will try opening the door, discretely trying the iron key he just found on the churchman.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Tamerlaine » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:53 am

The iron key fits and with a turn, the door unlocks. Beyond the door is a small room, simple and austere with a single shaft of sunlight lancing through a small window cut high into the stone wall. There's a bed with a chest at the foot of it, a simple table and two chairs, and a small hearth near the bed. A jug rests on the table as well as a thick tome and a candle.

++++++++++

As does Cauley, Gormlaith stands quietly with shovel in hand, her tall defined form covered with sweat. She doesn't like the graveyard. It's a foreign thing for her, the way these southern people deal with their dead. Her kind are set on biers of wood and after invoking Grimnir's blessing, the body was put to the torch. But she wasn't up north anymore. All she could think about was that when she met her end, her body would be dealt with in the southern fashion.
User avatar
Tamerlaine
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby klarkash-ton » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:53 am

The fire crackled, and spat sparks, the surrounding faces illumined with it’s ruddy glow.
“…and then they burned him alive, right there on his own altar!” finished Jared with a wolfish grin.
“That ain’t no way for no man to die” whispered a raspy voice from the shadows.

Deccon was but a boy when Brother Abathis had visited the farm. He remembered the kindly priest’s smile and his unflagging spirit no matter how many were taken by the black death.
“You’ll be stronger than ever young Stormfall; you just wait, the pox has no power over the righteous man!”

Now he was gone, back to the mud like the Northmen say, gone like the rest of them.

“You watch what you say Dec” replied Jared, “Black Bowb’ or any of his men hear talk like that and you’ll end up gutted like the priest. These are his lands now, and we’re gonna have to give him our swords sooner or later; tis’ only a matter of time.”
“Give him our swords…” whispered the voice from the shadows.

From the cover of the tree-line Deccon watched the bald priest shovel a load of dirt into the grave. He had watched as the man had respectfully carried out the swathed body from the chapel, he had watched as he intoned last rites, and now he watched him bury Brother Abathis.
They were a strange lot this group; he had never seen a woman that big before, truth betold he thought her a man until he got closer, and the strange old timer with the crooked staff didn’t look like he was from these parts neither. As for the hard looking bas*ard with the scruffy beard and the shovel, he coulda sworn he’d seen him someplace before.

“Reckon you’ll be lookin’ for vengeance” said Deccon stepping out from the trees, hand resting easy on the hilt of his longsword.

Judging by his tattered cloak and mud-spattered chainmail he had been on the road for awhile. He was a tall man, strong looking but rangy rather than thick-set. Unkempt dirty black hair hung to his shoulders and a black sackcloth covered the lower part of his face. A shield was slung on his back and the arch of a crossbow could be seen lurking over his shoulder.

“He was a good man” said the stranger, lowering his black scarf.

“I’m Deccon Stormfall, and I reckon I can help you.”
klarkash-ton
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Eris » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:50 pm

klarkash-ton wrote:“Reckon you’ll be lookin’ for vengeance” said Deccon stepping out from the trees, hand resting easy on the hilt of his longsword.

Judging by his tattered cloak and mud-spattered chainmail he had been on the road for awhile. He was a tall man, strong looking but rangy rather than thick-set. Unkempt dirty black hair hung to his shoulders and a black sackcloth covered the lower part of his face. A shield was slung on his back and the arch of a crossbow could be seen lurking over his shoulder.

“He was a good man” said the stranger, lowering his black scarf.

“I’m Deccon Stormfall, and I reckon I can help you.”


Great write up!

Brother Loren, whirls around and holds the shovel defensively watching the stranger.

"Well met, Deccon Stormfall! Loren says cautiously, "You knew the Brother?"

"Not vengeance."
Brother Loren says with a slight frown and a firm jaw, "Justice! The Justice of Father Sol and a chance for the people of this valley to find justice for themselves."

"I am Brother Loren, Acolyte of Sol."
Loren dips his head in a bow and indicates the others, "This is Yilmaz, Cauley, and Gormlaith."

Isn't there an NPC that is travelling with Yilmaz...I forget.
Brother Loren Cleric-1 XP: 0/1500
HP: 6/6 AC: 6 Saving Throw: 15 (+2 poison/paralysis)
HD: 1+1
Weapons: Mace (1d6) & Shield (+1)
Gold: 10
Spells: NA
Eris
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby klarkash-ton » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:28 am

Thanks!

“Brother” says Deccon nodding his head in greeting to Loren then “well met” to the others.

“Aye, I knew him, although it was a long time ago. I doubt he’d recognise me now…” says Deccon trailing off and looking at his feet.

“As for justice” replies Deccon, hawking a gob of spit into the nearby grass. “ I don’t know what that is anymore. But if justice means putting those that did this into the ground? Then aye, justice it is.”
klarkash-ton
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Tamerlaine » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:20 am

klarkash-ton wrote:“ I don’t know what that is anymore. But if justice means putting those that did this into the ground? Then aye, justice it is.”


When the stranger appeared, Gormlaith turned and appraised him cooly, her hip cocked and her well-defined arms crossed. Her huge two-handed sword lay near and besides, she didn't fear no single man. She listened to Deccon speak before replying herself. "It is well that a man such as this priest can stir such passion in your breasts. But the Old Man and I, we came here in search of treasure. Yilmaz the Old, he's got a map from old times. Seems like this cur Black Bowb is looking for the same thing as we and Cauley here knows where the place is. Now hear me out, there are many ways to hurt a man and I figure we get the treasure before Black Bowb does. He's looking for something in particular, it seems, on account of some witch. With another sword hand in our ranks, our chances of getting this treasure get better."
User avatar
Tamerlaine
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby klarkash-ton » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 am

Tamerlaine wrote:"It is well that a man such as this priest can stir such passion in your breasts. But the Old Man and I, we came here in search of treasure. Yilmaz the Old, he's got a map from old times. Seems like this cur Black Bowb is looking for the same thing as we and Cauley here knows where the place is. Now hear me out, there are many ways to hurt a man and I figure we get the treasure before Black Bowb does. He's looking for something in particular, it seems, on account of some witch. With another sword hand in our ranks, our chances of getting this treasure get better."


Deccon regarded Gormlaith, all rippling muscle and tattoos and scars. He’d been around enough fighters and wannabe hard-men to know the real thing, and this woman, with her relaxed stance, steely gaze, and giant sword was it, make no mistake about it.

“Aye, I’ve no doubt you know many ways to hurt a man Lady Gormlaith” the respect clear on Deccon’s face.

“I’ve got no love for Black Bowb and I’ve got no love for witchcraft neither. I’ve spent the better part of my fighting life making other men richer with little more to show for it but what you see me carrying. Now if you’ve got a way to make all them problems disappear at a stroke? Well, that seems like a good idea to me.”

Deccon walks calmly up to the group.

“An equal share of what we find and my sword’s yours” he says, offering his hand.
Last edited by klarkash-ton on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klarkash-ton
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Wouter » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:10 pm

In the meanwhile, Yilmaz will pick up the jug and sniff it. What does it smell like? He will then thumb through the book. Can he read it? What is it about? Finally, he will take a careful closer look at the chest at the bed's foot. If it does not seem to be locked or trapped in any way, he will try to open it to see what's inside.
User avatar
Wouter
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Chapter 1

Postby Tamerlaine » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:29 am

Wouter wrote:In the meanwhile, Yilmaz will pick up the jug and sniff it. What does it smell like? He will then thumb through the book. Can he read it? What is it about? Finally, he will take a careful closer look at the chest at the bed's foot. If it does not seem to be locked or trapped in any way, he will try to open it to see what's inside.


Yilmaz sniffs the jug and it smells like cider. The book is a major eschatological work related to Sol. The chest is not locked nor trapped. Inside are some clothes, an old worn cudgel/walking stick, a vial of holy water bearing the seal of Sol, another vial with a waxed stopper (potion of healing).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cauley remains at a cautious distance, his face unreadable as Gormlaith takes Deccon's hand into hers. It is a crushing grip. "Of course there's the old man's opinion. Reckon the decision needs to be unanimous, eh? Where's Yilmaz anyways? Probably taking a piss and damn if it takes him half a day to do so."
User avatar
Tamerlaine
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Chapter 1

Postby klarkash-ton » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 am

Tamerlaine wrote: "Of course there's the old man's opinion. Reckon the decision needs to be unanimous, eh? Where's Yilmaz anyways? Probably taking a piss and damn if it takes him half a day to do so."

"Aye, agreed. Gold does strange things to a man...or a woman I guess. Best get things cleared away at the outset, that way there's no confusion when things get to glitterin'."
klarkash-ton
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Dyson's Delves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron