The Phoenix Barony

Discussion of published settings - Lost Lands, Red Tide, Amherth, Greyhawk, Wilderlands, etc.
merias
Site Admin

The Phoenix Barony

Post by merias »

This one has been around for a while, but was updated a couple of years ago and now is specifically for White Box.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/202402/Th ... -White-Box

Has anyone used it in their campaign? It reads like a gazeteer, not too much detail but just enough to play with, including one fully fleshed-out town and lots of NPCs. Nothing earth-shattering, in fact the author himself describes it as "traditional vanilla flavored fantasy" (David Bezio of X-plorers fame), but it is a solid campaign base for sure.

jcftao

Re: The Phoenix Barony

Post by jcftao »

Yes, I purchased this when it first came out. I really like how it lays the groundwork for a campaign. It was great to see how someone else made campaign gazetteer.

I prefer making and playing in my own campaign worlds, but I really thought he did a nice job on this.

Greyharp

Post by Greyharp »

I was quite enamoured with this setting when David released it in 2007. Always wanted to run a game using it. Had all my ducks lined up and ready to go with it when my gaming group folded, so it never happened. Still, had lots of fun using the setting to plan a campaign.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Since I posted this I did have a chance to use the setting, not extensively but for a half-dozen sessions or so for a group new to old-school play. The town was a perfect fit for that.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

I've never used the Phoenix Barony, but I did really like how concise the information was and what a great example it was for making my own campaign world.