White Box Rules Update/Re-design

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
The Wanderer

Re: White Box Rules Update/Re-design

Post by The Wanderer »

That's true. But hey let's not forget, there is now a 4th version of S&W (made from WhiteBox)! And it will be expanded to level 7. Almost the same thing as WhiteBox. Yeah, go team S&W!

Which reminds me, Merias; should another sub forum be created for Light?
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

DuBeers

Post by DuBeers »

Hey! If you need any help on Team WB:FMAG? Let me know. I'd be happy to help out any way I can.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Thanks for the offer to help. I really appreciate it. The fan community is one of the best things about this game.

After the new update of WB:FMAG is released, I'll jump back to the updated Quickstart and get that released as soon as possible.

After that, things are unclear. I had big dreams for 2017, but I've come back down to earth. I'm not sure what I will be doing next. Maybe I'll ask what people want to see next.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The Wanderer wrote:That's true. But hey let's not forget, there is now a 4th version of S&W (made from WhiteBox)! And it will be expanded to level 7. Almost the same thing as WhiteBox. Yeah, go team S&W!

Which reminds me, Merias; should another sub forum be created for Light?
Light seems to have a defined niche for the lapsed gamer, I'm not sure why one wouldn't just pick up one of the other, existing variants after that. Although as a lapsed gamer at one time myself, I found WB the perfect level of complexity. So I'm not sold on Light or it's addon.

Also, good idea, I've created the light sub-forum.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

merias wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:
Light seems to have a defined niche for the lapsed gamer, I'm not sure why one wouldn't just pick up one of the other, existing variants after that. Although as a lapsed gamer at one time myself, I found WB the perfect level of complexity. So I'm not sold on Light or it's addon.
I'm definitely not sold on it. I kind of see it as just another slight to S&W WhiteBox. But maybe I'm feeling that way cause I just read all those forum posts from the defunct S&W site.

But either way, when new stuff is previewed for Light. I can't help but think why couldn't they have just done that for S&W WB? Lame

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Count me as yet another who not only is confused as to the purpose and/or supposed 'niche' of S&W Lite but also seeing it as superfluous and, indeed, pointless.
I say this as someone who cheers and loves super lite rpgs in general even including in this cut-down iterations of existing otherwise not-so-lite games.

It's like making a coin toss simpler but with a super-slick presentation supported by a major publisher. To me personally it initiates little more than long, multiple eye-rolls, but Tenkar is a shill, so I'm not shocked.

Equally odd to me is it's supposed 'birth' and purpose. It was/is intended as an even more simplified version of what is present as WhiteBox. But despite being so, is conversely meant to be an intro to FGG's S&W Complete.
This is similar to the decades-long confusion as to how Holmes was presented as some odd 'one-off' intro to AD&D1E when it was originally intended as a clear intro to OD&D instead. Eve, n today, due to the editing by Gygax as turning Holmes into mere product (loss-leader type product in fact), people still mistakenly believe Holmes is some sort of intro to AD&D.

As such S&W Lite muddies things rather than lighting a path.
Weird. Lame, I agree. But, also, just...weird.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

For those you wonder the point of Light, it is simply marketing for Frog God and ego-trip for Erik. The best possible outcome is the rules-lite adventure support while the rules are more of the same with Erik's house-rules thrown in. Since, he has a blog that is followed then this presentation is somehow expected to have more weight. I thought it was going to be more interesting than it actually is.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

To be fair to Erik. It was originally intended as a intro to Any version of S&W. But he is friends with Zach Glazer who is a recent Frog God. Once it was announced that it would become official, all references as an intro to White Box or Core were dropped and he only mentions complete. Which could make sense I guess if Frog God only has Complete, with Core and White Box being separate and belonging to Mythmere Games?

But who knows.

I think the expansion to level 7 is not a good idea. Well It's a good idea if the intent is to replace S&W WhiteBox, which is what I'm guessing their plan is.

Shadow Demon

Post by Shadow Demon »

Mythmere is little more than an alias for Matt; a placeholder for his trademarks. With Complete in the forefront, Core and WhieBox are shuffled into the shadows. Erik got dazzled by the fancy layout which makes sense since this product is being given away with Frog God orders and at conventions. This greatly increased the reach with his name.Plus, since FGG pays for Erik's conventions (most recently at the upcoming GaryCon). It is going to be difficult for Erik to not show bias here. it is easy enough to just ignore WhiteBox.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I don't think they want to replace WB, it sounds like they want to just drive a potentially untapped market to Complete and its commercial ecosystem. Although, adding a version with levels up to 7 might steer people away from WB. OK maybe that is the same thing :).

It's too bad, in my estimation back in 2011 Matt had a big chance to capitalize on the community support for WB, even after the dust-up. Witness the popularity of WB-related supplements from the two Spahns, and of course FMAG. No matter, we can continue on supporting WB in FMAG form.