Race-as-class Dwarf

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
cbarchuk

Race-as-class Dwarf

Post by cbarchuk »

Here's my updated Dwarf class. Like the others level limits are added back in up to level 8. I got rid of the whole 2300xp progression and simply gave the standard Fighter progression just to keep things consistent with FMAG's straight forward-ness. Is that even a word? lol. Any thoughts Doug? The Dwarf would not get Combat Fury or a bonus to hit at 1st level compared to the Fighter. Should I remove the ability for the Dwarf to take advantage of strength bonuses?
Attachments
White Box Dwarf v2.pdf
(19.43 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

merias
Site Admin

Re: Race-as-class Dwarf

Post by merias »

Those seem like decent trade-offs. I'd agree that if you are using race-as-class, then the human fighters need something to differentiate them (my beef with B/X fighters is that there is no reason to play one apart from personal preference - the B/X Dwarf in particular is much more survivable at low levels). I lean away from darkvision nowadays, for any classes - I like the idea that the underworld is dark and dangerous, and that monsters can see in the dark, but not PCs. And it usually becomes mot by 3rd level or so, when most PCs have permanent, magical means of lighting.

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I agree. Even with OD&D-style games I want some mechanical, not just roleplay, incentive to play a class. My own houserules have gotten so far away from FMAG that felt I was playing a completely different game. So I'm trying to reel things back inline a bit to the chassis of FMAG. I agree about darkvision and I think I will remove it too. If I do so would giving the Dwarf strength bonuses be appropriate? I leaning towards yes since both the Halfling and Elf get some kind of combat bonus.

FYI I slightly altered the Fighter attack bonus progression to be 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7 while the Dwarf, Halfling, and Elf use the default fighter progression in the book.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:54 pm
I agree about darkvision and I think I will remove it too. If I do so would giving the Dwarf strength bonuses be appropriate? I leaning towards yes since both the Halfling and Elf get some kind of combat bonus.
I agree, that sounds reasonable.