Fair Bluff: The Adventure Begins

Hybrid of Moldvay B/X & Old School Essentials (OSE)

Moderator: badams30

Re: Fair Bluff: The Adventure Begins

Postby jcftao » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:18 am

Franz gives the acolyte a friendly nod, "Good evening, acolyte. I am Franz Vogel, emissary from Gran Arnberg, here to see Curate Welbor. I have correspondence for the reverend curate. I know the hour is late, but I wanted to present myself to the curate in a timely manner."
jcftao

Postby badams30 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:35 am

AT THE CHURCH

jcftao wrote:Franz gives the acolyte a friendly nod, "Good evening, acolyte. I am Franz Vogel, emissary from Gran Arnberg, here to see Curate Welbor. I have correspondence for the reverend curate. I know the hour is late, but I wanted to present myself to the curate in a timely manner."

The young acolyte says "Certainly, one moment." And he goes to the front of the church to tell the priest of your presence, and he quickly makes his way to the back of the church.

The older priest appears to be in his mid 20s - quite young to have a church of his own, but you have heard of promising and pious clergy being assigned to a church on occasion. He gives you a hearty pat on the back and says "Welcome, welcome! I'm Welbor, glad to meet you. What brings you here? Are you hungry? Can I get you anything?"

In the interest of keeping things moving, I'll post the other dialogues separately, although they are the next morning
badams30

Postby badams30 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:53 am

THE NEXT MORNING, AT THE WIZARD'S TOWER
(the whole party is here, with the intention of visiting the merchant, Serene, next)

You approach the odd stone structure, it's like two squat stone towers built side by side, the tower to the left has battlements at the top, the one to the right has a shallow pointed spire. The large oaken door to the tower has some arcane symbols carved into it, and it has a knocker that resembles a dragon set in it's center. It takes a couple knocks to get a response.

A voice that sounds like an elderly man shouts "Hello? HELLO? Oh my... someone's at the door. ONE MOMENT!" You hear some commotion inside, and some mumbled cursing "Where is my #$&%^ hat? Oh, this always happens... OH, there it is!" And with the sound of several locks being unlocked, the door swings open to reveal a human male who appears to be in his 70s, attired in a well worn but plain blue robe, he's adjusting a blue pointy wizards hat on his head, he has a flowing white beard and long white hair - he's exactly what you'd expect an old wizard to look like. He has friendly blue eyes and a broad grin and with a flourish he says "WELCOME! What brings you here?" Before you can answer he shouts "COME IN! DO COME IN!" And without taking no for an answer, he leads you into a circular room roughly 15x15 that has several chairs, bookshelves and potted plants in it, and he motions for you to sit. As you sit, he paces about for a moment, then says "AHA!" and grabs a shiny and obviously well-worn gnarled oaken staff leaning against a bookshelf, and points it at Ember and says "SO! WHAT DID YOU FIND? I TRUST MY DIRECTIONS WERE ADEQUATE?" He puts his staff by his side and taps it on the floor, an expectant grin on his face.

Actions?
badams30

Postby jcftao » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:46 am

badams30 wrote:AT THE CHURCH
The older priest appears to be in his mid 20s - quite young to have a church of his own, but you have heard of promising and pious clergy being assigned to a church on occasion. He gives you a hearty pat on the back and says "Welcome, welcome! I'm Welbor, glad to meet you. What brings you here? Are you hungry? Can I get you anything?"

"Greetings, Welbor! I am Franze Vogel, emissary from Gran Arnberg. I have correspondence from the bishop and needed to meet with you. Thank you for the offer of dinner, but I have dined at the tavern earlier. I'll be staying there tonight, but perhaps you can provide accomodations for me while I am in Fair Bluff? I shall not need anything fancy, just a mat and a place to store my gear.

Fair Bluff is a beautiful town. Do you have any concerns regarding the parishoners? I've heard rumors of dangers nearby...

Franz will talk with the cleric and give him the letter from the bishop.
jcftao

Postby herself » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:07 am

badams30 wrote:THE NEXT MORNING, AT THE WIZARD'S TOWER
(the whole party is here, with the intention of visiting the merchant, Serene, next)

You approach the odd stone structure, it's like two squat stone towers built side by side, the tower to the left has battlements at the top, the one to the right has a shallow pointed spire. The large oaken door to the tower has some arcane symbols carved into it, and it has a knocker that resembles a dragon set in it's center. It takes a couple knocks to get a response.

A voice that sounds like an elderly man shouts "Hello? HELLO? Oh my... someone's at the door. ONE MOMENT!" You hear some commotion inside, and some mumbled cursing "Where is my #$&%^ hat? Oh, this always happens... OH, there it is!" And with the sound of several locks being unlocked, the door swings open to reveal a human male who appears to be in his 70s, attired in a well worn but plain blue robe, he's adjusting a blue pointy wizards hat on his head, he has a flowing white beard and long white hair - he's exactly what you'd expect an old wizard to look like. He has friendly blue eyes and a broad grin and with a flourish he says "WELCOME! What brings you here?" Before you can answer he shouts "COME IN! DO COME IN!" And without taking no for an answer, he leads you into a circular room roughly 15x15 that has several chairs, bookshelves and potted plants in it, and he motions for you to sit. As you sit, he paces about for a moment, then says "AHA!" and grabs a shiny and obviously well-worn gnarled oaken staff leaning against a bookshelf, and points it at Ember and says "SO! WHAT DID YOU FIND? I TRUST MY DIRECTIONS WERE ADEQUATE?" He puts his staff by his side and taps it on the floor, an expectant grin on his face.

Actions?

I hope this isn't too confusing with two story threads going at once?

Ember will grin at the old man and ask, confused but enjoying his enthusiasm, if he was expecting them? "We're travelling together, but I was particularly interested to seek you out, sir. I don't know any other magic-users, and I appear to have come into some...ability lately. Is there anything we can do to help you? The group is looking for work, but personally, I'd appreciate any guidance or words of advice you might have for a novice such as myself."

(Yes she's greasing up to him, hehe.)
herself

Postby merias » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Brian waits for the old wizard to respond.

Seems fine to do both threads at once to keep things moving.
merias
Site Admin

Postby badams30 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 am

AT MELVIN'S TOWER

The elderly wizard looks puzzled for a moment, and pausing for a while absorbing what Ember said he says "Oh my. I've done it again. Forgive me, I think I've confused you with someone else. My apologies." He pats Ember on the knee and says "you seek assistance with some new... abilities? Well, I may be able to help you, but as I'm fond of saying, experience is sometimes the best teacher."

He nods and chuckles to himself and then continues: "Looking for some work, are you? Hmmm... you look like a capable lot. well as a matter of fact, I've got a little something I could use some help with. A couple of weeks ago, one of my neighbors was looking for his lost dog just outside of town, and he came across an old foundation... probably an old farmhouse or something like that. And he almost fell into what he thought was an old well, but when he looked a bit closer, he said it wasn't a well, but maybe a sinkhole or something else. Furthermore, as he looked down in, he swore he saw a couple skeletons down there, said they looked like they'd been there a while. So he came back and told the watch, and they told him that they didn't have time for such things, probably thought he was lying, but they weren't interested. It's probably nothing, but it's had me thinking about it for a while now, so if you'd go check it out for me, I'll give each of you 10 gold pieces when you return and let me know what you find. If it's nothing, I'll still give you the coins. So what do you say? It's only about a mile outside of town...."
He smiles pleasantly and waits for your reply...
badams30

Postby herself » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Ember will nod, and thank the wizard for his comments. Then she will say, cheekily, "who did you think I was, anyway?"

She will look over at the others and shrug, as if to say, what do you reckon? Sounds good?
herself

Postby jcftao » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Franz nods, "Aye! Let us see what adventure we can find!"

"Oh, by the way, Mister Wizard, do you know anything about a black hand or something called the three?"
jcftao

Previous

Return to Adventures in the East Reaches