Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
merias
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by merias »

If we were able to speak with Jasper before he left we could mention the run-in with Rindel.

Possibly Erwin would have a knife and a few tools from his carpentry apprenticeship?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Erwin stops Jasper before he rides away and tells him of Rindel. Jasper has seen the man in Biggun and has heard his offer to hire men for drivers over in Deliverance.

"I don't like the man. Actually, I think he is up to no good, but people have to make up their own minds. I've never heard or seen him commit any crimes. The men that killed the merchant did not match the description of this Rindel character."

Erwin looks through his collection of tools...most of what he uses belongs to his father, but he does take a hammer, a mallet, a handful of iron nails, some wooden wedges, and a woodworking chisel, and also his woodcarving knife. Maybe these things will come in handy in the days ahead.

OOC--Merias, please list these items on your character sheet, plus bedroll, etc. that were listed before.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Roger clucks at his old draft horse and the animal lurches forward. Family and friends wave goodbye. Denis waves goodbye to his cousin Roger while wiping a tear from his eye. Sigga isn't sure, but she could've sworn that one of the villagers just flipped her off.

Four hours of travel and the party passes through some small villages...perhaps a couple dozen huts in each...Hailstone is a small farming community of 50 or so. Roger shudders when passing the village. He has heard that it is haunted.

Coping is another small village. It is ringed with a wooden pallisade. The villagers are out in the grazing land, tending sheep.

Barth is another small village, about twice the size of Coping. It is also defended by wooden walls.

They party finally comes to the village of Dubbston. It is not walled and looks well off. The sheep are fat and the farmers seem well fed.

A half a day of travel is complete. The group didn't get an early start and it will be dark in a few hours.

Do you find lodging in this village, camp nearby, or continue on?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"Seems a prosperous village, but I doubt they will welcome us without silver. We should look for a campsite," Erwin says.

ooc: I don't think any of us have any money?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Being broke is a bit of a problem. Erwin knows that he'll not be sleeping in any public houses. But he also knows that these small villages often do not have places like this. Instead, villagers open their homes or barns to travellers for a bit of silver or possibly a good story.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote:Being broke is a bit of a problem. Erwin knows that he'll not be sleeping in any public houses. But he also knows that these small villages often do not have places like this. Instead, villagers open their homes or barns to travellers for a bit of silver or possibly a good story.
Excellent! Erwin will keep an eye out for a farmhouse that looks reasonably well maintained and inviting, and approach.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

A farmer is working near his house as Erwin approaches. He pauses from his chore of fitting a door onto his house.
"Good day to you sir! Looks like you are travelling a bit, eh?"

"Me...I never done much travelin'. Been in Dubbston for nearly 40 years now. I got plenty to attend to here. My name's Truman, by the way. What can I do for you folks?"

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Roger, eager to talk to a working class agriculturalist such as himself, says
Good day to you friend, we are very pleased to find ourselves in your lovely town of Dubbston. We are coming from Rumpstone ourselves and are making our way to Deliverance.

If you could point us to a safe camping area or know of anyone who would put us up for the night we would be in your debt. We have no coin, but for anyone who might take us in tonight we could offer them a hand with the chores and a tale of our adventures thus far.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The farmer considers Roger's offer for a moment, then smiles and nods, "Well, I've not enough room in my house for you, but you are welcome to stay in my barn. I could use a hand hanging this door and there's always wood that needs chopping. I'll have the missus throw in some extra taters to the stewpot for supper!"

You look at the farmstead. It is neat and well cared for. Truman, the farmer, shows you around the place. A couple of kids watch wide eyed at the dwarf and elf. His wife is very kind to all of you and supper tastes so much better than bread and dried meat.

The village of Dubbston looks to have fourscore houses surrounded by tilled fields. In the center of town is a large meeting hall for the council of village elders. An open space for market is also in the village. From your vantage, you can see a tent and several wagons. Some villagers are gathered around looking at goods and selling produce.

Questions? Actions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"Your barn sounds like it would suit us fine, thank you," Erwin says. "We have had quite some excitement these past few days, we will tell you all about our brush with outlaws over supper."

Erwin will lend Truman a hand with the chores before dinner, then let Roger tell the tale of the stolen shrubberies. He will ask the farmer about the road to Deliverance and any rumors he may have heard.