Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
jcftao

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by jcftao »

Son_of_Sod wrote:Roger says to Hammond
I know I'd be glad to stay here for a little while longer, say do you know anyone who might be in need of a shrubbery? I've still got my emergency shrubber kit just in case.
The mayor thinks for a moment, opens his mouth and closes it, then opens it again, "You know, I've never been asked that before! Why, yes! My wife was remarking on that just the other day. My cottage is just over there (points to a modest cottage with a thatched roof and a small garden in the back). If you can find a couple nice shrubs...two large ones...and put them along the path in a sort of bi-level effect..."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Mayor Hammond walks away with Roger, discussing shrubberies. Farmer Truman is left standing with Erwin. "I'll take you to the shepherd's cottage on the other side of the village. His name is Kenneth."

Truman leads Erwin down the main road of the village and then cuts down a narrow alleyway. The path opens up to a small cottage and a stone fence. In the fence, a few dozen sheep seem to baa impatiently.

Kenneth, the shepherd, comes over to greet Truman and Erwin.

He appears to be a friendly fellow, tall and gangly with a two missing teeth up front. He is really happy to see that someone is wanting to help out.

Kenneth says that he'd had the flock out to pasture two evenings ago. He was just about to bring them in to the paddock when he saw a half dozen wolves sneaking around to encircle the flock. His sheep dog made a rush at one of the wolves, but was killed. Two of the sheep were dragged away. Kenneth thinks that the wolves must have a den in the large forest to the south. In the distance a very faint line of green sits on the horizon.

"That line of trees marks the Garwood. It sets between three counties, Derry, Barlow, and Wick. The nobles are always arguing over the boundaries. None of the duke's men have gone into the woods to hunt the wolves. They laid some traps and poison around here, but no luck so far."

Kenneth looks hopeful at Erwin.

The sun is still climbing towards noonday.

Actions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"We shall help you if we can, I must speak to my companions and make a plan of attack," Erwin says. While here he will walk the perimeter of the fields and try to spot any tracks to see where they enter the woods.. Then he'll head back and tell everyone what he found.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

As Erwin walks the pasture, he finds no tracks. But climbing a small rise, he sees a large black wolf sitting a good distance away. The wolf just sits there, watching for a moment. In the next instance, it turns and runs off to the west.

It is midafternoon.

Actions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin returns to the group and tells them what he found.

ooc: Maybe a night-time stakeout of the Shepherd's fields? Any ideas?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Erwin, Roger, Moonglimmer, and Sigga spend the evening sitting against the stone wall of the sheep paddock. The evening is cool and each of them wrap cloaks around themselves. The sheep in the paddock bleat throughout the night. They seem nervous.

The night wears on, the party members settle in for a long watch.

Suddenly, Sigga sits upright. She sees several shapes sneaking towards the paddock in the distance. Moonglimmer also perks up and listens carefully.

Out of the darkness run at least five wolves. The leader is a big one. The distance is about 100 yards. Clouds move across the moon making it difficult to see at times.

[Initiative--PCs 5, Wolves 1] Actions?

Status
Erwin Dirtnap C1, AC 10, HP 6, staff
Moonglow Honeysuckle E1, AC 11, HP 7, wooden spear
Roger the Shrubber F1, AC 10, HP 7, rock
Sigga Grimstone F1, AC 10, HP 8, war hammer

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

Moonglimmer steps forward, spear at the ready, and says, "Not tonight, Brother Wolves. Not here, not tonight."

she then shakes the spear at them threateningly.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin stands by Moonglimmer and waits to see how the wolves will react. He'll be ready to fight if needed.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The wolves spy the group along the stone wall. Several of them spread out to the left and right. The big one and two others run headlong towards the group!
They are about 50 yards out. Erwin believes that the cloudy night will make it more difficult to land a blow on them.

Actions?

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

jcftao wrote:The wolves spy the group along the stone wall. Several of them spread out to the left and right. The big one and two others run headlong towards the group!
They are about 50 yards out. Erwin believes that the cloudy night will make it more difficult to land a blow on them.

Actions?
Moonglimmer will brace her spear to impale any wolf that may leap at her.