Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
jcftao

Re: Chapter 1 ~ A Journey Begins

Post by jcftao »

Erwin's carpenter skills come in handy. He helps Truman hang the new door and repair a fence gate.
Roger helps with chopping some wood. The evening supper is filling and plenty at that. The lady of the house made
a savory onion and potato stew with a nice piece of pork in it. There was also fresh baked bread with jam and honey and
large pitchers of cider.
Roger began to delight the children with his adventures in horticulture, but also told of their recently incident at the tavern.
Truman pulls down a fiddle and plays a few lively tunes for everyone. It is a happy and warm home this evening.

Truman has heard that some men have gone off to the west to work as drovers, but he hasn't heard anything else. He doesn't know this Rindel fellow.
He does offer to introduce Erwin and Roger to the village elders in the morning. Maybe they could provide some information.

The barn is warm and dry. The evening air is cool and the group sleeps soundly.

Actions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin wakes refreshed and has a light breakfast before heading out to thank the farmer. "Do you think we should talk to the village elders? They might be able to provide us with some valuable information for our journey," Erwin says to the others.

Maybe a quick chat with the elders, and then on our way?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Truman will gladly introduce the party to the village elders. The farmer also has some advice on going to Deliverance.

"I don't know of anyone in our village that has been to Deliverance. Some folks have been to Milltown. It is only a couple days journey to the west. But I'd be careful crossing over the Edding river at Milltown. It is a wild country beyond the river."

Erwin wishes to visit the village elders briefly before travelling on. Let me know if you have any other actions and I will post later tonight.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

In the morning, Roger, Erwin, and Truman go to see the mayor of Dubbston. The village is about fourscore huts, closely situated with an open green space for market. The village hall is a larger hut where the village council meets and on occasion host the visit of the local noble.

At the village hall, the group meets the Hammond, the mayor of Dubbston. He is a tall man, perhaps in his 50's. He walks with a crutch, one leg appears injured. With a smile and clasped hands, Hammond greets you. "Welcome, my friends. The village of Dubbston is always glad to receive visitors."

After a brief introduction all around, the mayor learns of the party's intent of travelling to Deliverance. "Deliverance is some days travel past the Edding river. I've heard there are trails. Some of the merchants that come through here have been to Deliverance, but be careful! You are very near the Harridlands. To turn south would surely place your lives in their hands. Only those with business in the city-state of Mathos would chance travelling throught the desert of Cos and encroaching on the Harridlands."

"Could I entice you to stay on in Dubbston for a few days? Our town has been beset recently by a rash of attacks upon our sheep. We've set hunters to guard the flocks, but thus far have had no good result. I'm cetain that an offering of silver might convince you to help us?"

"If hunting wolves has no interest, I know that Duke Elston (Duke of the County of Barlow) is hiring more guards to patrol the road to Milltown. Banditry is sadly on the rise again and the duke needs additional men to put down the ruffians."

Actions or additional questions?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

jcftao wrote: "Could I entice you to stay on in Dubbston for a few days? Our town has been beset recently by a rash of attacks upon our sheep. We've set hunters to guard the flocks, but thus far have had no good result. I'm cetain that an offering of silver might convince you to help us?"
Erwin queries Hammond. "I think I can convince my companions to help, you seem like a nice folk and truthfully, we are a bit light on silver at the moment. Do you know when the attacks started, and what time of day they usually occur? Are there any witnesses to the attacks we can speak to?"

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

While the boys go see the mayor, Moonglimmer will peruse the market,chat up any friendly townspeople, and see if anyone knows anything about Deliverance, or the road along the way.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Moonglimmer let's Truman's children lead her by the hand down to the marketplace. There are several peddler's wagons on the green and a couple tents set up. Also, farmers have brought in baskets of fruit...apples and wildberries, and garden produce. The peddlars are selling used tools and used clothing. One peddler has some dinged up swords and a couple dented helmets.

They all stop talking as soon as Moonglimmer approaches. The men stand there with their jaws agape. One peddler quickly recovers and says, "Fine clothes for the lady? I have a nice woolen cloak that is very nice...hardly used at all!"

Moonglimmer inquires about the road to Deliverance and some of the men shake their heads. "What would a young maiden such as yourself be doing in Deliverance?" "If you must go, the trail west will take you to Milltown. From there, you need to cross by ferry to the other side and follow the cart path to the town of Despair. If'n I were you, milady, I would hire a reputable guide from Milltown. They can keep you out of harm's way...nasty stuff on the other side of the river, there is."

"Would that I could take you, but I am headed to the east with my meager wares. Be careful on the road to Milltown. Bandits have been seen on the roads."

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Hammond is happy to hear Erwin's answer.

"Yes, yes! The attacks have taken place during the night when the moon is dark. There is no discernable pattern to the attacks, just signs of blood and fewer sheep. Shepherds have only seen dark shapes moving quickly onto the sheep. One of the sheepdogs was killed in a fight."
"The duke's men have set traps and poison, but still we are plagued with this terror. In the last month, we've lost eight sheep already!"

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin will get the details of where the shepherds live and report back to the group, if we're in agreement we can visit one or two of the shepherds and try to pick up a trail of whatever this is.

Son_of_Sod

Post by Son_of_Sod »

Roger says to Hammond
I know I'd be glad to stay here for a little while longer, say do you know anyone who might be in need of a shrubbery? I've still got my emergency shrubber kit just in case.