merias
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 3 The Kingdom Border

Post by merias »

Erwin is ready to go in as well.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The party stands at the northernmost part of the ringfort. Two ancient stone watchtowers stand as sentinels. An open pathway leads between them. It is about 15' wide. It is weed choked and brambles and briars clog the lane. A distinct path can be seen where foot traffic has kept the grass down.

The path (yellow on the map) runs left and right after going between the watchtowers.

On both sides of the pathway are structures of sod and stone...all connected and small doorways every 10 to 20 feet. The doors are long since gone. The structures are tall, making a man-hill of 15' or so within the earthen ring of the ringfort.

Somewhere deep within the ringfort comes a deep and terrifying roar of an angry creature? Could it be the ogre? Perhaps something worse?

Actions?

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo hears the roar and says, “The lady followed the path north. We could go there and leave this place to that... whatever that was.” He is noticeably trembling.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis recoils noticeably at the roar and says"OH MY. That thing sounds angry. maybe we should back off and keep an eye on this place for a bit, see what's here before we go in. My mama always said you should know what you're up against, and that sounds smart to me, uh huh."

OOC: Otis will go with the majority, but maybe withdrawing to recon the area for a bit would provide us some intelligence value as to what's in here. Maybe spring a trap or plan an ambush....

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

"I am in agreement with Otis, let us back away and plan to draw the creature out," Erwin says. He looks around for a hidden spot, maybe with some vantage over the entrance.

Maybe on top of the hill?

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Climbing the embankment is not impossible...for a warhorse or a knight in platemail, yes...but the rest of the group could mount the embankment.

There are about two hours till dusk.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

The party, unwilling to move into the ringfort at this time, makes a plan to surveil the north entrance.

Erwin and company move into the woods about 100 yards from the entrance and find a thicket where they may camp and watch.

Several hours pass as the party waits. Darkness envelopes the party as the sun goes down.

Actions?

1. Set watch and start a small fire for warmth.
2. Wait and watch without a fire.
3. Investigate the ring fort at night.
4. Leave the area by night.
5. Something else?

Erwin, cleric 1, AC12, HP 6/6, staff
Moonglimmer, elf 1, AC11, HP 7/7, spear (+1 to missiles)
Fungo, hobbit burglar 1, AC11, HP 3/6, ball of twine
Bizenghast, magic-user 1, AC11 HP 6/6, walking stick
Otis, fighter 1, AC10, HP 7/7, table leg (+1 hit/dmg due to Str)
Sir Hedwig, fighter 1, AC 15, HP 6/7, longsword (+1 hit/dmg due to Str)
Attercop the Giant Spider
Bane the JubJub Bird
Goliath the Warhorse

Fungo is wounded from the hellbats. Unfortunately in the excitement, none of the little hobbit's companions thought to bind his wounds. Now, the bites are reddened and sore.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo scratches at his wounds, wincing each time he does so. I don't want a fire because I don't want to attract anything, but I do want a fire because I hate the dark. I've heard my cousins in distant lands can see in the dark. I wish I could. Do we have any more food?

I bet the growling thing sleeps at night, since it was up in the day. Although my tummy growls at night even though I'm awake in the day, so maybe I'm not sure. Should we investigate it soon? We can't wait forever and I don't want those bats to come back and bite me some more.

Fungo votes for investigating the ring fort at night.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

greyarea wrote:Fungo votes for investigating the ring fort at night.
"If the noise has died down you could sneak into the fort and tell us what you see. Also what kind of bat flies during the day?" Erwin asks.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis says "I think we should keep it dark and no fire... that'd draw em' to us for sure. But if Fungo's goin' in, I'll go up there a ways with him and wait, just in case he needs help. I didn't like tha sound of that howlin', so if he's gonna go in, I'm gonna go up as far as I can." Otis smiles at Fungo and says "If anythin' goes wrong, I'm gonna be right behind you!"

OOC: Otis has no clue, but if Fungo is going to recon the place, Otis will accompany him as far forward as he can go and still find a place to hide so as not to hinder the halfling.