Chapter 8 ~ Into The Ways

A Whitebox: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game Sandbox
tumblingdice

Re: Chapter 8 ~ Into The Ways

Post by tumblingdice »

Bengar, whose guiding spirit is a little late to the party, as always, thanks Nehim for the parcel of food. Don't matter where it comes from, I suppose, as long as it's real and taste good. Mmm...

The dwarf shudders as he makes his way back out into the unnatural darkness. He tunelessly sings a worksong he picked up from a bunch of humans who once passed through the dwarven kingdom of Irendall when he was a young lad. He hopes it calms his nerves.
greyarea wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:57 pm
Hey Bengar, says Fungo. How'd you end up in a cage in fairyville anyhow? I hope it was for flinging a pie tin at the Elfking.
If there is a lull in Fungo's conversation with Odimus, Bengar will try his best to answer the hobbit's question. I wish I knew. One day, on one of my scouting rounds, I discovered a cursed obelisk, where there wasn't one before. Must have been 30 feet tall and covered in sylvan runes. Okay, maybe 15 feet tall. Idiot that I was, I put my hands on it to try to read the runes. Next thing I know, there was a brilliant flash of purple light, and there I was standing in a forest. All trees and no mountains. No place for a self-respecting dwarf, I can tell you that. Anyway, it wasn't long before I heard the blast of a huntsman's horn. Next thing I know I'm being chased and shot at by fairies, hundreds of 'em. Must of been some kind of poison on their arrows. Cowards! When I awoke, there I was in that cage. If you hadn't come along, I'd a probably fed their cursed hides with my own, seemingly, cursed hide. He pauses for a moment, then adds, I can't thank you all enough for saving me. You don't even know me.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Meh, replies Fungo. I figure if the faeries wanted you in a cage, there was good reason for you not to be. I don't think they were all bad, some may have just been following the only thing they knew, but that King and Queen: bad news, I say.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

greyarea wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:36 pm
Meh, replies Fungo. I figure if the faeries wanted you in a cage, there was good reason for you not to be. I don't think they were all bad, some may have just been following the only thing they knew, but that King and Queen: bad news, I say.
Listening in, Otis chimes in quickly "Between Master Fungo getting locked up, and that awful Queen castin' that spell to make me her friend, I didn't like NONE of em. I only wish we could have made that King, Queen and especially those snotty noble guys pay for what they've been doing. But I killed that little warty looking fella who brought us there, so I guess that's okay. And I'm glad we got to free Miss Katherine too."

Otis nods enthusiastically and keeps marching along, keeping as watchful an eye as he can in this strange place.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Down a slight incline you go and cross over two more stone bridges. The cobblestone is still weedy with patches of dead weeds pushing through the stones. Both sides of the road are still comprised of some mottled brown rubbery landscape.

You come to another strange sight. An iron lamp post stands just ahead, the lamp is lit with an amber flame.

Odimus approaches and you notice a large moth, brown with an orange stripe. It is large and flits about the lamp post. Odimus watches it intently.
Another large moth (both have wingspans of about one foot!) flits around the wizard's staff.

"Oh, bother!" Odimus sighs...

Suddenly more of the moths flit about, swirling and circling around the lamp and the wizard's staff. They fly around the party, not lighting upon anyone, but brush against you with their wings. It feels like someone is patting you with a feathered fan.

Across the brown landscape you see a lizard. It is speckled black and red with a fringed head. It half hops and scrambles towards one of the moths, landing on it and clamping down to swallow it. The lizard looks up at the party and hisses. The frilled collar opens making it appear much larger. After hissing, it moves forward to bite at your legs!

There is a drumming sound as dozens more scramble across the mottled ground towards the moths and you!

Actions?

herself

Post by herself »

Susanna will back away from the strange moths, putting the lantern between herself and the strange lizarrds--drawing her mace as she does so!
Beyond the Borderlands, Susanna Clank

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Otis - Fighter

Otis groans and says "Why can't critters just leave us alone?" He'll gingerly set the mirror down and draw his sword and shield. He'll stay close to the others, swinging at any lizard that comes within range.

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Fungo will attack any lizard-thing that ventures too close, using the club he borrowed from the jailor.

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

"Odimus, are these things dangerous or just a nuisance?"

Moonglimmer will shoot an approaching lizard if Odimus says they are dangerous. Once missiles are ill-advised, she will draw her new sword (plundered from the fey lord).

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Erwin keeps together with the others. "Does anyone have some oil or anything we can light on fire and throw? The moths may fly to the brighter flames and take the lizards with them!"

mythictom

Post by mythictom »

merias wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:57 pm
Erwin keeps together with the others. "Does anyone have some oil or anything we can light on fire and throw? The moths may fly to the brighter flames and take the lizards with them!"
Cough. Turn animals! Cough