New Quickstart

Homebrew settings, house rules, adventures, maps, art
foxroe

Re: New Quickstart

Post by foxroe »

Great looking map. One tiny suggestion: add a means of getting to the next level, but only hint at what may lie below, encouraging burgeoning DM's to expand the dungeon on their own.
- Fox

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Definately! The original map has stairs going down. I just hadn't finshed drawing everything when I took the picture.

That's a good idea to offer clues of some sort hinting at what lies below.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, so...

I have commissioned art for the "Into the Unknown" book, I have slowly been working on.

But

What if I used the art for the new Quickstart? We could do it up nice and really be proud of it. And hopefully with making it look so good, it will spread far and wide and bring in new blood to the community. I'll eat the cost of the art and still release it for free in PDF and at cost in print.

The artist is Michael Clarke. I asked him to do a style in line with Froud and DiTerlizzi. Here is a sample of what he did: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/phot ... ?icm=false

I should say, if I did this, it would nix the "Into the Unknown" book, but I could always just add the content into the Wizard's Scroll zine.

I'm just brainstorming now. What do you all think?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

So put the hexcrawl campaign stuff into the zine, maybe in installments with some adventuring locales added in? Sounds like a good plan, I've seen others do that (Oubliette comes to mind).

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

foxroe wrote:Pregens look good. Maybe indicate which "rule" is on place regarding the Elf (class-switching or multi-classed) - depends on how the quick-start deals with it I suppose.
Must have missed this one, I think maybe the Elf should get treated like the B/X Elf for simplicity's sake. So both classes, all the time, like the Elf variant in the rules but with a spell at first level. Should we suggest that the spell/armor rule be enforced?

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

As a part of the idea to add the art to the book, I was thinking about ways to add/change the quickstart.

What if we added to each class; the rules for level 2? So under the Cleric it would say to adjust the Saving Throw down by 1 and to pick a Spell from the following list, sort of thing. If we did this, we could do the same thing with the Elf, it can use the variant option and at second level, get to pick a magic-user spell.

So adding something that would basically say, after you have completed this module, you can continue your adventures, by making up your own 2nd level to the dungeon and raise the characters to level 2. Perhaps add a small bestiary to stock out the 2nd level?

Maybe add a 1 page town in the back for the PC to return to a home base? I'm trying to think outside the box on this one, to think of new/better ways for a quickstart. Including maybe changing the layout of how the adventure is presented to make it easier to run.

Have you seen the Pathfinder Beginner Box? I like some of the ideas in presentation/layout. Maybe White Boxing that style could be good.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I see your point about the Elf/MU spell at 2nd level. But I think you are proposing what is essentially a mini-campaign/sandbox - which is not a bad idea but I'm not sure it is a quickstart, and it adds to the page count, when we want to keep this as short as possible (while still having useful info outside of the adventure). I see the quickstart as a one-shot dungeon, with pointers on how to run things and where to go next. I'd like to hear some input from others on this subject too. Maybe a poll?

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

No, you're right. Have to keep it simple. Sometimes I get carried away when dreaming about stuff.

Short and useful with good art, should be the goal.

So do we want to add a level 2, level up for each class? And just say, something like "congratulations, you have completed your first adventure! You can now raise your characters to level 2" or something like that. Would probably make new players feel like they really accomplished something.

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

The Wanderer wrote:I'm kind of thinking out loud here, so...

I have commissioned art for the "Into the Unknown" book, I have slowly been working on.

But

What if I used the art for the new Quickstart? We could do it up nice and really be proud of it. And hopefully with making it look so good, it will spread far and wide and bring in new blood to the community. I'll eat the cost of the art and still release it for free in PDF and at cost in print.

The artist is Michael Clarke. I asked him to do a style in line with Froud and DiTerlizzi. Here is a sample of what he did: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/phot ... ?icm=false

I should say, if I did this, it would nix the "Into the Unknown" book, but I could always just add the content into the Wizard's Scroll zine.

I'm just brainstorming now. What do you all think?
Wow, that's some quality watercolor art! How many pieces did you commission? Maybe you can split it up between the two projects?
- Fox

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

merias wrote:
foxroe wrote:Pregens look good. Maybe indicate which "rule" is on place regarding the Elf (class-switching or multi-classed) - depends on how the quick-start deals with it I suppose.
Must have missed this one, I think maybe the Elf should get treated like the B/X Elf for simplicity's sake. So both classes, all the time, like the Elf variant in the rules but with a spell at first level. Should we suggest that the spell/armor rule be enforced?
I would say yes to the weapon and armor restrictions, so long as they are the ones given for the Elf variant.
- Fox