B1.1 - Beginnings

Exploring the elder, esoteric Lands and Environs of the D&D Wilderness. When we have time.

Moderator: greyarea

greyarea

Re: B1.1 - Beginnings

Post by greyarea »

Tor strokes his chin, That’s quite a tale. I’m afraid I’m just trying to make coin. My uncle tells me that if I tithe, it will take me over a hundred thousand gold to help his church build a new cathedral at my meager rate of gift. So I will earn that much. Perhaps by hewing wood or crushing rock, but better earned hewing bellies and crushing skulls. If I can do a good turn or the Almighty by killing goblins and finding lost gold, then so be it. If I cannot, Crom demands no tithe…

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

The party finally sits down with Trebbelos, Boy Magician, the DM's favorite name from the list of pre-rolled characters in the back of the module, and your contact for The Compass. At least he is according to that guy Horace you met at the beginning of the adventure. You received your mission 2 1/2 years ago in real time, and even if you remembered what it was, you just sat through a whole bunch of exposition about a curse that has no apparent connection to said mission. Let's hope Trebbelos can tie it all together, and fast!

You duck as the DM waves a giant hand through your entire existence. Trebbelos brings The Slip an ale. You're here to make a map of the Caverns of Quasqueton for The Compass, and are in a race against time with a scouting party from the Frost Isles across the sea who is trying to do the same thing. This could prove extra dangerous, because there's a rumor that Cassia herself--the elf spirit behind the curse--haunts the lower level of the dungeon. I can lead you to the caverns, and can be ready in the morning to accompany you on your journey. The tavern will be closed, but most of the shops are open so you can get any last-minute supplies you need. All I demand is a half share in the treasure.

Actions? Any specific questions for Trebbelos?

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:48 pm
The party finally sits down with Trebbelos, Boy Magician, the DM's favorite name from the list of pre-rolled characters in the back of the module, and your contact for The Compass. At least he is according to that guy Horace you met at the beginning of the adventure. You received your mission 2 1/2 years ago in real time, and even if you remembered what it was, you just sat through a whole bunch of exposition about a curse that has no apparent connection to said mission. Let's hope Trebbelos can tie it all together, and fast!

You duck as the DM waves a giant hand through your entire existence. Trebbelos brings The Slip an ale. You're here to make a map of the Caverns of Quasqueton for The Compass, and are in a race against time with a scouting party from the Frost Isles across the sea who is trying to do the same thing. This could prove extra dangerous, because there's a rumor that Cassia herself--the elf spirit behind the curse--haunts the lower level of the dungeon. I can lead you to the caverns, and can be ready in the morning to accompany you on your journey. The tavern will be closed, but most of the shops are open so you can get any last-minute supplies you need. All I demand is a half share in the treasure.

Actions? Any specific questions for Trebbelos?
Slip speaks quietly, "Any update for the Quasqueton mission, or is everything status quo? We're making our way there and stopped her for a respite."

Sorry DM, didn't realize Trebb was the official contact for Quasqueton. :mrgreen:

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fauk ponders the information presented by the young mage. "These Frost Isle people...what do they hope to gain? Are they our foe or possible allies?"

"Trebelos, what do you know about the dungeon entrance and any denizens on the first level?"

greyarea

Post by greyarea »

Tor says, I was born ready. Well, not actually… I was born a helpless babe like anyone else. Humans are one of the only creatures that is born yet helpless so that they require parents’ tending until maturity while a fawn might run from danger within minutes of expulsion from the womb. It’s quite fascinating, really, because in a moment it goes from barely exiting its birth-sac to standing on wobbly legs to walking and then running with its doe mother. Yet we humans take years—nae, more than a decade—to reach anything close to maturity and that’s with many years of work. And even then… Tor looks around. I mean, I can be ready by dawn!

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Fauk drains his ale and calls the barman for another. "I'll be ready to do some exploring after one more round."

badams30

Post by badams30 »

Brother Bert - Ale loving Priest

Bert quietly listens, chugging his ale as everyone chats. He says "Of course I'll be ready to go! That is right after I finish a few more of these fantastic ales to rehydrate myself after such an arduous walk. This other party we need to be aware of, are they hostile, or just on a similar path?"

Bert holds up his mug to get another refill, and with a smile at our new companion Trebellos, he says "Glad to have you join us! Surely your powerful magics will give us an edge in our quest!"

Bert cheerfully eats and drinks, listening politely to the conversations, occasionally pausing to say a silent prayer for any hard luck stories that he hears...

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Trebbelos regards The Slip. No updates. Everything is as you last heard. Turning to Fauk, he replies, The Reavers of the Frost Isles are out for whatever they can get. Treasure, or a chance to make our people look bad. I don't really know anything about the entrance, except that the caverns are dug out of a large rock outcropping.

The boy's eyes glaze over at Tor's biology lesson. He then smiles at Brother Bert. I can't magick you any ales from here, but I'll go get a few more rounds. It's agreed, then. We'll meet at the north gate at 9 a.m., then.

Any other questions for Trebbelos? Be sure to purchase any equipment you think you'll need. This is a pretty standard, late '70s/early '80s dungeon, so plan accordingly. :)

OC: Sorry for the delay, gents. I've been scrambling to get my 8 year-old daughter ready to receive her sacraments (confirmation & first communion) in March. We fell behind in the workbooks we're supposed to work on at home. We were facing the very real possibility of having to put everything off for another year, to the point where my wife actually related the news to my daughter. She was very sad, as were we. That night, after everyone had gone to bed, I was doing dishes in the kitchen, and decided that this was completely unacceptable. What could I possibly have been doing that was more important than getting my daughter ready for her sacraments, and becoming a full-fledged member of the church? How could I possibly deny her, and God, from that communion, for another whole year of her very short life so far? Was there any greater failure as a parent than that? Any dereliction of duty more serious? I couldn't think of one. So, the next day I told my wife that we weren't giving up. We were gonna do this. And we have! We finished all the remaining lessons in the reconciliation book, got through all 12 lessons of the confirmation book, and are half-way through the Eucharist book. We have six lessons to go before her retreat/rehearsal this Saturday. We've been averaging 2 lessons a day, and we're gonna make it. Long story short, I should have more time to post more regularly very soon. Next time I'll be better at telling you guys sooner what was going on.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:29 pm
OC: Sorry for the delay, gents. I've been scrambling to get my 8 year-old daughter ready to receive her sacraments (confirmation & first communion) in March. We fell behind in the workbooks we're supposed to work on at home. We were facing the very real possibility of having to put everything off for another year, to the point where my wife actually related the news to my daughter. She was very sad, as were we. That night, after everyone had gone to bed, I was doing dishes in the kitchen, and decided that this was completely unacceptable. What could I possibly have been doing that was more important than getting my daughter ready for her sacraments, and becoming a full-fledged member of the church? How could I possibly deny her, and God, from that communion, for another whole year of her very short life so far? Was there any greater failure as a parent than that? Any dereliction of duty more serious? I couldn't think of one. So, the next day I told my wife that we weren't giving up. We were gonna do this. And we have! We finished all the remaining lessons in the reconciliation book, got through all 12 lessons of the confirmation book, and are half-way through the Eucharist book. We have six lessons to go before her retreat/rehearsal this Saturday. We've been averaging 2 lessons a day, and we're gonna make it. Long story short, I should have more time to post more regularly very soon. Next time I'll be better at telling you guys sooner what was going on.
No worries, Sir! And Congrats to you and your daughter.
tumblingdice wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:29 pm
Trebbelos regards The Slip. No updates. Everything is as you last heard. Turning to Fauk, he replies, The Reavers of the Frost Isles are out for whatever they can get. Treasure, or a chance to make our people look bad. I don't really know anything about the entrance, except that the caverns are dug out of a large rock outcropping.

The boy's eyes glaze over at Tor's biology lesson. He then smiles at Brother Bert. I can't magick you any ales from here, but I'll go get a few more rounds. It's agreed, then. We'll meet at the north gate at 9 a.m., then.

Any other questions for Trebbelos? Be sure to purchase any equipment you think you'll need. This is a pretty standard, late '70s/early '80s dungeon, so plan accordingly. :)
Slip acknowledges the rendezvous and finishes her drink.

jcftao

Post by jcftao »

Good to hear! No worries at all, my friend.