Chapter 2: On the trail of orbs, bad guys and adventure

A Swords & Wizardry Complete Sandbox

Moderator: badams30

kipper

Re: Chapter 2: On the trail of orbs, bad guys and adventure

Post by kipper »

Kane briefly considers some sort of plan whereby we can lure the guards out to be taken by the Wyvern, but decides the risk to his own hide is too high so he quickly puts it aside.

"How often do they get supplies, are some coming soon?", he asks Stinky.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

kipper wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:40 pm
Kane briefly considers some sort of plan whereby we can lure the guards out to be taken by the Wyvern, but decides the risk to his own hide is too high so he quickly puts it aside.

"How often do they get supplies, are some coming soon?", he asks Stinky.
"About every 2 weeks, give or take. They got some last week. They don't get many visitors. I've seen two, maybe three riders come here over that time, and they don't stay long. Whoever these guys are, they stay pretty well-hidden."

He glances at his hands, grubby with food and says "Uhhh, maybe a little clean up is in order. There's a small creek just in the treeline to the east, it's well covered so you don't have to worry about getting spotted there. I'm going to grab what little stuff I got and get cleaned up and I'll come right back. I can show you where it is if you want to get any water."

Theo offers to accompany Gord to get some fresh water.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

badams30 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 pm
I'm going to grab what little stuff I got and get cleaned up and I'll come right back. I can show you where it is if you want to get any water."

Theo offers to accompany Gord to get some fresh water.
Zapolas will also assist with fetching/carrying water.

tumblingdice

Post by tumblingdice »

Albrecht has never in his short, sweet life seen a naked dwarf, and would like to keep it that way. He stays behind, figuring Theo and Zapolas got this covered. No pun intended.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane will also remain behind with Albrecht.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

(going to pick it up a bit for the next couple posts, we know where we're going and when, so let's get to it!)

Gord goes to take a much needed bath. He shows you the place where the creek is, and you can get some fresh water (upstream from the dirty dwarf, of course) Gord comes back very clean and has somehow used the axe to trim his wild unkempt beard into a much more presentable thing. His clothes are wet but clean, and thankfully his odor has disappeared. He is very appreciative for your confidence and food, and can't stop talking about what he's going to do when he sees the men who took him and his friends.

You all eat, Theo and Gord build a small fire in the cave, with Gord saying that between the cave and the trees, the smoke will not be visible to the men in the ruins. Theo pulls out a large bottle of brandy and passes it around, telling everyone his grandfather makes it and wanted him to take it to bring you luck on your task at hand. Passing it around, everyone (ESPECIALLY GORD) appreciates the warmth it brings to your guts, and after some dinner and chat, you all feel very tired after the long journey. Gord gladly offers to take a shift at watch, and he shortens everyone's time by a half an hour and takes the last watch.

You all get a very restful sleep, the only noise you hear is the slightly irritating hoots of some owls near the mine entrance. You awaken refreshed and ready to go, and Theo shares the rest of the bread and salted meat he brought to supplement the rations, and you all pack up your gear as you get ready to move toward the ruins.

Gord is already up and standing near the entrance to the mine, smiling excitedly. He points to the skies "It's cloudy out, looks like rain. That'll make it easier to stay in the shadows when we head up the hill. As far as I know, there's no watch on the outside, so we should be fine going up the hill. Once we get to the plateau with the ruins, we need to be careful, they don't come outside usually, but I've seen them come out every once in a while to look around. If we be careful we should be fine.

You set out, Gord leading the way. He tells you that he's taking you up the back of the hill, it's steeper and has more vegetation, but it's in the cover of the trees as you ascend. After about two hours of slow climbing, you make it to the top of the hill, and from behind a copse of thick bushes, Gord points to a shadowy archway - partially collapsed, but about 15 ft wide and says "That's the way in."

It's still early, and the archway is dark and silent. You see no signs of movement. There's about 200 ft of relatively open ground between your current cover and the arch.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane zips forward, covering the distance to the arch, and hides to the side. If this goes undetected, he will cautiously lean around and peer through.

connivingsumo

Post by connivingsumo »

Zapolas
Zapolas bravely hangs out near the back of the group, watching Kane with interest.

badams30

Post by badams30 »

The open ground leading to the arch has a lot of broken rocks and debris, but as you get closer to the arch itself, there is a discernible path that is relatively clear. Kane does his best to remain quiet as he sprints to the edge of the archway. He seems to do so quietly, and he positions himself beside the entrance and peeks in for a good 20-30 seconds.

Theo kneels, sword in hand and ready to advance when called or at the first sign of trouble. Gord stares intently at the arch, gripping his hand axe tightly.

kipper

Post by kipper »

Kane looks back towards the party. He puts one finger to his lips, and then motions forward. He then resumes his surveillance of the interior.