White Box Rules Update/Re-design

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
Mach Front

Re: White Box Rules Update/Re-design

Post by Mach Front »

Ooo. Now that looks really cool for a setting guide.

geordie racer

Post by geordie racer »

I've just downloaded the PDF and I think you've done a grand job, the additions and changes are appropriate and tastefully done. I too think the lone rider image is well-suited to being the cover for a setting/exploration supplement.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I like the plan to use the gritty one for the setting guide, also a great idea to allow the buyer to choose the cover for the rulebook if you have a few images available.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I'm glad you like it Geordie.

You all get the inside scoop on the third cover... The commissioned cover will be from Stefan Poag!
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

geordie racer

Post by geordie racer »

Excellent. I'm gonna need a new game shelf.

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

This is all pretty darn exciting.

Is it still "a thing" that James West is going to design a flavorful WB char sheet for the game? I sure hope so. His char sheets are the greatest.
You should seriously consider forcing him into a bit more labor for your "Into the Unknown".

Speaking of the setting guide, I don't suppose you could tantalize with a small handful of details of the setting?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

I'm looking forward to seeing Stefan's Poag's take on the cover! I've browsed through some of his art: it looks like the three covers will be rather distinct (which is a good thing)! The gritty one would work great as a cover on the setting guide: makes me curious about what's in there :)

Depending on the price, I might get one as a present for everyone in my gaming group: have you already made up your mind on that?

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Regarding price: I'm kinda hoping he takes the Basic Fantasy route and goes only for a bit over cost, but I suppose that's a bit selfish, never mind the fact that this is solidly yeoman work and he does deserve a fair bit for it. I'd at least hope it's competitive to the S&W:WB price(s). We'll see. I'd imagine that it may be fair to ask a bit more for the versions which cost more for their respective covers, etc.
I'm on a tight budget but I want multiple copies of each in both soft and hardcovers. There goes the 'fun fund' for the next handful of months I s'pose. :mrgreen:

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

My favorite charsheet for WB is the Kilgore one, you can see it in the charsheet section of the forum.

I predict this will be hugely popular amongst the OSR crowd, you saw this with the WB Omnibus, and honestly the production values on the Omnibus don't even approach this. One of the fair criticisms of WB was that it was easy to play as an intro game, but hard to referee for novice refs. What you've done - taking bits and pieces from various sources to make it a whole game - but still in keeping with the original game's feel, squarely addresses the novice ref issue.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Yes, James is doing a character sheet for this. Its the final piece that I'm waiting on before print.

Poags art came in this morning! Expect a preview soon. And yes all 3 covers will be different in style which is what I was trying to achieve. So that hopefully everone will find one they like.

The price. I'm not in this to make money. Before I started all this. I told myself, I'll spend money and make a version that I want at the table. And if no one likes it, at least I have my ideal version of the game. This version is by a fan for fans. So expect the print to be less expensive than everything else out there. I haven't worked out final price. I'm open to suggestions. What would you want to pay?
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/