White Box Rules Update/Re-design

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
The Wanderer

Re: White Box Rules Update/Re-design

Post by The Wanderer »

As for the setting guide.

I originally had more rules for wilderness hexcrawling in the main book but I took it out cause I didn't want to add too much to it.

The original rules had things like coming into contact with strongholds for fighters. Wizard, etc. This would be rules for determining these locations and other features and locales randomly. So the campaign world is created on the fly. But set pieces will be presented to help stimulate creativity. So each Referee who used it would end up with a different campaign world. Or parts can be taken out for an existing world.

But taken all together the book will present a specific style if it's not changed up at all by the referee. Which would probably be described as more gritty but infused with the fantastic.

Anyways. This is a ways off. And it could change as I work on it more. But that gives you an idea of where I'm at with it.7
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

I absolutely love it! It has that old school Erol Otus-feel to it and as far as I'm concerned it's right up there with the Pete Mullen White Box cover.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Wow. That is extremely high praise.

Stefan Poag is awesome. He hit it out of the park!

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

Ok I need some help. I have to determine the price for the books and I want to get it right.

No one chimed in on the price they would pay so I'll throw some numbers out and please let me know what you think.

Black and White cover will use standard 50# paper that is white. $5.99

Lofgren/Poag cover will use premium 60# paper that is cream colored (just like the S&W WB softcover) $7.99.

These are not set in stone. Just want to get an idea for what your initial reaction to that price point is.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Those prices seem perfectly reasonable, keeping the black and white near cost is a good idea.

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

I agree. Those prices for the paperbacks are very reasonable.

There will be hardbacks as well though, yes?

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

Very reasonable, indeed!

ClawCarver

Post by ClawCarver »

I just wanted to chime in here and add my voice to the chorus of praise. It's a great job you're doing, Wanderer. Despite my inner voice yelling, "No! You don't need more iterations of the rules! Don't even think about it!", I know I'll be buying this. In hardback, preferably. Are you planning to do hardbacks? And forgive me if you've mentioned this somewhere, but are we talking about Lulu here? I buy from Lulu quite a lot (too much!) and find their service very good.

A note about the covers. All are good, but I like RPG books to show adventuring parties as opposed to single protagonists, so the first one strikes me as the cover of a novel rather than an RPG. The Lofgren dragon is excellent, and the snowy scene is eminently suitable for White Box (as per Mullen), but I like the weird fantasy vibe of the Poag one best. To me, it's a typical moment in a game: the adventurers explore a dark tower, where they gain some loot but lose several henchmen and get dangerously low on hit points so they decide to return to base, whereupon the dastardly Referee rolls a random encounter with a few well-armed lizard men and things look decidedly iffy. :)

EDIT: After writing all that, I read the recent posts on your blog, where pretty much all my remarks and questions were addressed and answered, so please don't feel you have to respond again here! Apologies. I've just returned from three days of sunshine, music, beer and good comradeship in a field in England, and I am somewhat sleep-deprived.

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I'm glad you like it ClawCarver.

There is a reason I just called it White Box instead of giving it a new name (and I have a long list of names). I didn't want to add another new game, I wanted to help build the community around the White Box game.

Yes, just Lulu for now. They have an easy to use interface. I messed with DriveThru but it's kind of a pain.

And the softcover Black and white is available now on lulu for $4.99. Hardcover is coming soon.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Just got the PDF from DTRPG with the dragon cover, it looks great! I plan on making a lulu order once the other softcovers are there.