White Box Rules Update/Re-design

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
foxroe

Re: White Box Rules Update/Re-design

Post by foxroe »

NIGEL35 gets you 35% off ;)
- Fox

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

merias wrote: I predict this will be hugely popular amongst the OSR crowd, you saw this with the WB Omnibus, and honestly the production values on the Omnibus don't even approach this.
I was just reviewing this thread and this popped out at me!

Well, after being available for 3 months or so, I wouldn't say it is hugely popular. The highest it hit in the top 100 on RPGnow was #9 and that was for only a day.

It looks like the books that are most popular to the OSR right now are the really short rulesets.

But I'm proud of how well the book has done. And hopefully it brought some new people to S&W WhiteBox.
White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/

Wouter

Post by Wouter »

For what it's worth, I think it's the most useful Whitebox edition out there right now. Just out of curiosity: what are your stats on sales? Do people tend to prefer the hard- or softcover version? Red, blue or white?

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

I have been making blog posts on how the game is doing
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/2016/1 ... 3.html?m=1

I haven't checked between soft and hardcover. But since most sales come from Amazon and only softcover is available there, I would say I sell more softcovers

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

The Wanderer wrote: Well, after being available for 3 months or so, I wouldn't say it is hugely popular. The highest it hit in the top 100 on RPGnow was #9 and that was for only a day.

It looks like the books that are most popular to the OSR right now are the really short rulesets.

But I'm proud of how well the book has done. And hopefully it brought some new people to S&W WhiteBox.
Maybe I was overly optimistic :). My guess is supplements are more popular in the end, as opposed to rulebooks. But, I agree the new edition has done great.

foxroe

Post by foxroe »

The Wanderer wrote:I have been making blog posts on how the game is doing
http://whiteboxgame.blogspot.com/2016/1 ... 3.html?m=1
Hey, sign and number the print proofs and sell them on eBay - instant in-the-black! ;)
- Fox

ClawCarver

Post by ClawCarver »

I've been running S&W Core lately (The Cleansing of Cameth Brin, recorded elsewhere on these boards) but I finally got around to buying a hardcover of WB:FMAG. And it's splendid. Was it William Morris who said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"? Well, this fits both criteria. Bravo, Mr Mason!

The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

ClawCarver wrote: I finally got around to buying a hardcover of WB:FMAG. And it's splendid. Was it William Morris who said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"? Well, this fits both criteria. Bravo, Mr Mason!
Thanks so much Clawcarver. I'm happy you like it!

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Sooo... I was poking about on Lulu looking for some way to throw away money. I happened upon the second edition of Whitehack. I saw that its hardbacks are cloth-covered with dust jackets. Now, I have a (sshhhh) compilation of the OD&D 3LBBs like this and the interior paper is slightly thicker than my other Lulu books and cream-colored. It's pretty cool.

I don't suppose you could offer White Box in similar fashion? Seems pretty classy. :geek: :mrgreen:
And, hey, then you have an opportunity for a fourth cover for WB:FMAG. lol Maybe something library-like and super-old-school understated or something.

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Scratch the part about the thicker paper. I looked (for the first time ever) on the book creation stuff on Lulu and saw that the weight of the cream paper is now the same as other standard paperback and hardbacks. Things have changed I suppose. After all, I did order my OD&D collection hardcover way back in about '08 or so.

Anyway, I may actually be on my way to finally noodling this out myself. I downloaded the cover template and looked over the readme file and, using Paint.NET and fumbling around for way too long to be someone who can actually tie their own shoes, managed to create a pure white cover with "Swords & Wizardry White Box" (because I love the name Swords & Wizardry) in Carlson Antique on the cover. Yep. That's it. Maybe I can order my own green fabric with white text hardback with this dust-jacket (in matte!) someday....if I don't totally screw it up, which I'll assume I will and mightily too.

The glorious cover (sample-sized):

Oh, yeah baby.