House Rules for White Box: FMAG

A forum for discussion of The Wanderer's White Box: Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
merias
Site Admin

House Rules for White Box: FMAG

Post by merias »

I put together my preferred house rules for White Box: FMAG, of course applicable to the original S&W White Box or OD&D. You can get them here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DO48Y ... bo_TTHs8Mc

cbarchuk

Re: House Rules for White Box: FMAG

Post by cbarchuk »

Hey Doug,

I had a question about your house rules. Am I reading it correctly that ALL classes get the strength bonus to hit but ONLY Fighters get the bonus to damage?

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

Hey Chuck, not quite - only fighters get a bonus to damage due to high STR, all classes get the listed penalties due to low STR (i.e. no one gets a bonus to-hit due to STR, not even fighters).

cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Interesting. I like the idea of removing the bonus to hit and keeping it just as damage. I forgot that little OD&Dism. Where's that from? I know I've seen that used in DD. I've thought about removing the dexterity bonus for AC unless the wearer is using leather or no armor.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

cbarchuk wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:31 pm
Interesting. I like the idea of removing the bonus to hit and keeping it just as damage. I forgot that little OD&Dism. Where's that from? I know I've seen that used in DD. I've thought about removing the dexterity bonus for AC unless the wearer is using leather or no armor.
OD&D did not have any STR bonuses at all until the Greyhawk supplement, but the "only add bonus to damage" was for magic swords, which only gave an additional bonus to-hit it they were versus a specific type of monster (e.g, a "sword +1, +3 vs. undead" would get only +1 to damage normally, and +3 to-hit and damage vs. undead).

I think an AC bonus is ok for thieves, but in any case not for those wearing metal armor.