Yes Virginia, there was a BHP Third Print.

Discuss Swords & Wizardry White Box - Rules questions, commentary, house rules
Mach Front

Yes Virginia, there was a BHP Third Print.

Post by Mach Front »

In communication w/ our Imperious Leader, merias it came to my attention how few may not, for whatever reason, realize there was indeed a very short-lived (and IMO nigh-perfect) Third Print of WB from Brave Halfling Publishing. I have the pdf, two hardbacks and a softcover of this print.
After BHPs second print I spent quite a bit of free time over a couple of months searching out errata to give feedback/help to John of BHP for the next print whenever it may come.
Arrive it did in Nov of 2010.
But, hard upon there was a bit of...stuff that happened with some folks who were involved past and present with WB and this resulted in both the Third Print from BHP being available (from my memory) either two and a half months or maybe even less. (This was why actually bought so many.)
This is also how WB came back to Mythmere Games and the then-new-and-still-the-same-"third print" and now looks less impressive than it once did (as poor Matt just didn't have the software or skills as did the fellow who did the formatting for the BHP releases).

As merias is supplying on another thread/sub-forum here, the older editions, I've sent a number of older edition pdfs to him including this lost gem. This WB crown jewel.
If you love the BHP 2nd print and don't have this or didn't even know... it will be riding high here sooner than later. Grab it. Eat it. Live it.
Rule.

Or...ya know...jus' play around and have some fun putting those silly and uppity Chaotic spell-slingers on the end of your spear. Whatever.

Mike

Re: Yes Virginia, there was a BHP Third Print.

Post by Mike »

Want it!

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Mike wrote:Want it!
Heh. Well, thankfully merias put the pdf of BHP's third print I provided over in the "Free Resources" sub-forum here.
It's exactly the same as BHP 2nd print, but with a good deal of errata corrected.

Also, thankfully, one can (shhh!) take a pdf and upload it to Lulu as a private project and send a copy to yourself as a "proof" at reduced cost and *poof* you have your very own hardback.
Not that I'm advocating such slipperiness, however. *cough*HoorayToNotBeingForcedToHaveOnlyHardcopiesOfTheLameRecentPrintOfWB!*coughcough*

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Related:
To be very brutally honest... I believe that since Matt Finch wants to no longer even so much as touch WB and said years ago that he was "giving it to the fans" that he should completely and totally and absolutely 'let it go' so that anyone and everyone can freely, legally, etc. upload it (or varying iterations) to Lulu and share/sell them.
As such, someone(s) with the know-how and tools could create a beautiful and complete WB with a wonderful cover and provide it on Lulu at cost (and perhaps others could beef it up with other classes and release an "Advanced WhiteBox" or something), etc.,etc., blah, blah, blah, fun and happiness for all, etc.

Seriously.

merias
Site Admin

Post by merias »

I think that is right based on what I've seen of Matt's old forum threads - and I'd love to see a new, cleaned-up version. But anything like that would run afoul of the license unless it was clearly marked variant or house rules. The art would also need to be replaced if it were sold commercially. All that said...I bet Matt might be open to it if someone asked him nicely, and if it were clearly a non-profit venture (even to include POD at-cost).

Mike

Post by Mike »

Mach Front wrote:
Mike wrote:Want it!
Heh. Well, thankfully merias put the pdf of BHP's third print I provided over in the "Free Resources" sub-forum here.
It's exactly the same as BHP 2nd print, but with a good deal of errata corrected.

Also, thankfully, one can (shhh!) take a pdf and upload it to Lulu as a private project and send a copy to yourself as a "proof" at reduced cost and *poof* you have your very own hardback.
Not that I'm advocating such slipperiness, however. *cough*HoorayToNotBeingForcedToHaveOnlyHardcopiesOfTheLameRecentPrintOfWB!*coughcough*
I can think of lots of occasions when slippery is good!

mattjackson

Post by mattjackson »

Is the third print the one from the boxed set (not at home or I would check)?

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Just like second print, the BHP third print had: a pdf, a Lulu softcover, a Lulu hardcover, and a boxed set.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Mach Front wrote:Also, thankfully, one can (shhh!) take a pdf and upload it to Lulu as a private project and send a copy to yourself as a "proof" at reduced cost and *poof* you have your very own hardback.
You wouldn't have already done this eh Mach?
Of course not but if you had, would you send me the link? :D

Mach Front

Post by Mach Front »

Mike wrote:You wouldn't have already done this eh Mach?
Of course not but if you had, would you send me the link? :D

Unfortunately, and honestly: no. :(

I've not the skills to navigate the (apparently, at least to someone of my dunce-cap-ness) labyrinth of the Lulu upload...errmm..thingamajig. :?

If I could though, and I could find some way to take the BHP 3rd print, then add an appropriately WhiteBox-y thief and a short page or two about backgrounds (based more or less on Akrasia's Backgrounds from his blog and also turned into a Fight On! article in issue 5 (I think)) and ability checks. Add the art (on those big, sad, empty pages) from the BHP boxed set volume covers and a small handful of other line art so that the amount of art is near Holmes level. Then I'd either use the BHP cover or perhaps find some nice, actual old-school or new-old-school line art on a totally white background as the cover.
Then I'd be basically done for all time for a OD&D 3LBB-type game reference. Seriously.

Of course, it would be nice if that super-awesome French edition of S&W:WB was given an English edition. I'd allow it. ;)